Call for testing: NetworkManager YAML settings

I read debian/patches/netplan/0002-netplan-make-use-of-libnetplan-for-YAML-backend.patch and it dont looks like it is possible to disable. Looks like the only option is to recompile the whole NM package. Why you have not gone a clean way with a seperate plugin which we can select to install.

plugin: keyfile or keyfile-netplan or something like it.

I really see no more comfort in netplan and so don’t like to be forced to it. For me netplan was always just an option - but now things changing which makes me not happy.

From your webpage:

Netplan has established itself as the proven network stack across all variants of Ubuntu – Desktop, Server, Cloud, or Embedded. It has been the default stack across many Ubuntu LTS releases, serving millions of users over the years.

But you must also see, that not everybody used netplan - I am a Ubuntu fan for long time and also installed over 500 server and desktop systems with it. I was every time free to use what I want and newer went to netplan. I used systemd on servers and NM on desktop systems.

For sure I am not the only one who liked to have a choice.

As you mentioned, the only option is to disable the functionality at compile-time inside the NetworkManager package, using the --disable-netplan flag.

We have a bug report tracking this behavior here: Bug #2041491 “Provide an option to avoid the yaml NM backend” : Bugs : network-manager package : Ubuntu