Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Yes, all heartedly!

Better then not at all.

We totally agree about the rest … !
The only different is that I would have like it best on top of the dock . To make it action-less was my last despair idea when I thought we are going to give it up completely.

1 Like

I do hope it will workout with an Ubuntu app. on top of the dock. Now we just have to wait and see…I guess :wink:

Great work so far. I think the same, a little bit smaller will make it perfect.

1 Like

Thanks for the icon!
We could use this in your PR with some generic icon name and then symlink it to the icon we’d decided on in the future :thinking: if others agree on this

3 Likes

Few things:

• Try centering the whole CoF object, not just the circle itself. Sometimes this looks off, other times it looks better. Think this may be an instance when it might look better.

• Some more padding may do good.

• Suru guidelines say there should be a shadow gradient along the fold line, so that it does look like an actual fold.

Other than that, I like this! Keep up the good work!

1 Like

@taciturasa you’re right, and IMO it’s a pain centring the CoF because sometimes one method looks best, sometimes the other, and sometimes both look a bit odd and you have to try somewhere in the middle! I’ve tried some more padding and think the composition actually looks good now but I await further feedback.

In terms of the fold gradient, you’re right - not sure how I “flattened” it but I seem to have done (I will study the source icon, which was the Software Centre, and see how the gradient works on the original).

Here’s the current iteration.

mockup of default launcher

16x16 Ubuntu logo with more padding

16x16@2 Ubuntu logo with more padding

24x24 Ubuntu logo with more padding

24x24@2x Ubuntu logo with more padding

32x32 Ubuntu logo with more padding

32x32@2x Ubuntu logo with more padding

48x48@2x Ubuntu logo with more padding

48x48 Ubuntu logo with more padding

256x256 Ubuntu logo with more padding

256x256@2x Ubuntu logo with more padding

Well, we could put the Ubuntu logo to the Ubuntu updates manager app and put that below “Activities”. The current grey “A” icon is currently the same as the Software Center icon which I find highly confusing anyway. (“was the Software Center the grey “A” or the orange “A”?”).

I think that the update app is an Ubuntu/Canonical app anyway, thus we would probably be allowed to theme it as “Ubuntu”.

1 Like

@taciturasa, hmm, I’ve studied the source icon and can’t see a fold shadow… it’s an old icon, so possibly the artist did it before the guidelines had settled into their final form?

My inspection did highlight two things that are visible in the largest icon size:

• The absolute white of the Circle of Friends is a bit “stark” compared to the Software icon (which uses a slightly peachy “off-white” for the letter A glyph);
  • The Circle of Friends lacks the subtle drop shadow, which is visible when you view the Software icon at the largest size.

I’ve now incorporated these tweaks into the largest version of my icon. I think I might struggle to do a more pixel-perfect forgery of the source style :stuck_out_tongue: but I welcome feedback if I’ve missed anything.

side by side

EDIT: due to quality reduction of the embedded image, neither icon looks quite as nice as the one on my own PC sadly, but hopefully you can at least see that they match!

2 Likes

Yep, I like the idea of “Ubuntu updates” being a Circle of Friends :slight_smile:

On the COF - Maybe to play with opacity level will give you the pitchy color? - I mean to reflect the orange behind it.

@mozit That would have been a good solution :slight_smile: but I ended up just stealing the colour from the “A” on Software. Sadly the subtle colour difference is a bit lost when I upload to the forum… I think maybe it reduces the colour levels slightly? When I’m doing the PR I presume I will be uploading the full quality versions somewhere suitable and then you can see them exactly :slight_smile:

1 Like

The way it looks now :

1. cof merged into the background instead of clipped on it.
  2. cof is opac
  3. no dropped shadows.
    Maybe I’m wrong because of the quality of the image here.

I’ll try to upload to Imgur and see if there’s less reduction in colour. Bear in mind both the drop shadow and the peachy colour are very subtle (no stronger than in the Software icon) but I’m not surprised you can’t detect them in the embedded image! :slight_smile:

Hmm, it was the same in Imgur, but it seems better in Firefox, maybe it’s something Chrome is doing when it renders the png.

side by side

EDIT: Yep, if you view in Firefox you can screenshot and use (say) the eye dropper tool in GIMF to show that the CoF is a very light peach colour, and an exact match to the left hand “/” of the “A” on the Software icon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tbh why should a new user think that this “A” looks more like a software store than the Ubuntu logo :thinking:? I like it

Edit: but the “re-welcome” idea is also a good place

2 Likes

Right, sorry for all the embedded images I’ve been posting (!), but I want to get this exactly right before I submit it to @snwh… these are the graphics that I hope to put in a PR, for the new “Ubuntu” icon (specific app/symlink to be confirmed later).

I’ve put them side-by-side with the corresponding Software Centre ones to show the consistency in colour, pixellation, highlight etc… The colours aren’t quite identical to the source files when I upload/embed, but it’s very very close, and the two graphics are equally affected, so you can still see “sameness”. My hope is for the proposed new icon to fit in 100% with the existing Suru family, down to the pixel level.

Please request further changes if you want to see any (e.g., do we still want to try using a different centre for the graphic?).

16 x 16px, normal and 2x size:

16x16 Ubuntu logo with more padding softwarecenter

16x16@2 Ubuntu logo with more padding software-store

24 x 24px, normal and 2x size:

24x24 Ubuntu logo with more padding softwarecenter

24x24@2x Ubuntu logo with more padding softwarecenter

32 x 32px, normal and 2x size:

32x32 Ubuntu logo with more padding softwarecenter

32x32@2x Ubuntu logo with more padding softwarecenter

48 x 48px, normal and 2x size:

48x48 Ubuntu logo with more padding softwarecenter

48x48@2x Ubuntu logo with more padding softwarecenter

256 x 256px, normal and 2x size:

256x256 Ubuntu logo with more padding tweaked softwarecenter

256x256@2x Ubuntu logo with more padding tweaked

softwarecenter

6 Likes

Maybe instead Activities we should put Ubuntu logo?

@ognehod, I can’t blame you for not going trough all 1537(WOW!) posts in the tread :smile:
but your idea can not be done since it is against upstream rules.

Hi @didrocks, @frederik-f, @c-lobrano
I have an issue while working on the Gtk2 theme . Not sure how to tackle it .

When on snap the Gtk2 part of my Theme look like this :

When on Ubuntu session it looks like that :

In both sessions Gtk2 pulling the wrong Icons.

And in snap communitheme (the default -not mine)the same issue with the icons:

confusing!
Thanks for looking into it .

Something that occurred to me today… I instinctively went for orange because a) it’s a brand colour and b) it was planned for Unity 8. But we already have a prominent orange icon (which I copied!), so would people prefer aubergine?

mockup of default launcher with purple CoF

1 Like