Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

I do, but is it legally allowed? - Not sure…

Good point, it probably isn’t.

1 Like

Using both snap and build script is not a good idea when developping. You should only use the method suggested in contributing file

@c-lobrano, I’m not using developing script. I’m working on the gtk2 part Locally. I said it before.
I have communithemeMIne folder and I’m testing it as any other theme .
Not ideal, I know but it’s hard for me to follow the method in contributing file.
What I can’t understand is :

1. why my theme looks fine in Ubuntu session but not in snap (like any other third party theme).
  2. Why the Suru icons are not pulled in both my theme and not in our default snap theme as well.

Ahaha, sorry :grinning:. But maybe will be better to move Ubuntu logo to the right part of top bar near indicators? Logo near Activities seems odd and out of place to me.

Not to rain on parade, but https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initiatives/issues/2

Which means it’s better to make svg icons instead.

Pretty sure Sam is one of the people who it’s working on that so everything cool

@jablonskilech, if we need an svg later it will be very easy to make one using the software centre as a base :slight_smile:

My normal preference is to work in svg, but this time I worked from the existing Suru pngs in GIMP, for maximum pixel likeness. My concern was that Sam Hewitt might export his svgs to png and then do some optimisation/pixel work at the different sizes - or export from a different app or with slightly different settings - and I might not get an identical result if I started with svg.

This was actually quite a long-winded way of doing it, compared to taking an svg of the software centre icon and just replacing the “A” with the circle of friends.

2 Likes

Quick idea: maybe we should run any svg-s there are through an svg minifier to strip any fluff, so the file size is smaller/is cleaner?

@taciturasa, small icon size in priority?

? Not sure what you mean by this.

Hi thread,

I started a discussion on @snwh’s GitHub, and he came back with this design, which IMO is superior:

I think this is a good approach because the white background means the icon can re-use orange without looking like a clone of the one for Software Centre. Sam’s new icon is called ubuntu-welcome-app, so I guess you just have to pick something to symlink to it, that can appear at the top of the launcher by default :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just switched back to Edge out of curiosity. I must say I really missed the little CoF in the top left, so hopefully that patch will happen :slight_smile:

Is there a discussion happening somewhere about the new app grid icon? I know conversations happen outside this thread :slight_smile: but I’m not sure where to look on GitHub. I’ve got to say I personally strongly prefer the normal app grid. I’m not sure what the rationale is for changing it significantly from upstream in this case? If it’s just majority personal taste then fair enough.

IMO, I think the lack of a squircle made it clear that the app grid is a different kind of thing to the icons (i.e., a navigation button rather than an app) and there’s just something really nice/simple/elegant about the normal app grid design (3 x 3 squares in a square).

2 Likes

Yes @taciturasa agreed with @snwh that the suru shape is not good for the appgrid icon. PR hitting tonight (wow that sounds fancy) with the total upstream icon :blush:

Great news about that suru ubuntu welcome icon. Thanks for all the brain power put into this @jaggers

2 Likes

FWIW, the reason I’ve been trying to figure out a suitable new app grid button is because the upstream one is designed to go with the default Adwaita icon set, and as such does not fit well with the Suru symbolics. Still gonna try some more stuff, but won’t be posting anything about it until I have a good stable Linux setup again.

The Communitheme team is happy to announce a new stable release!

This week we worked mainly on

• completed the transition to the unique repository for all Communitheme compontents
  • added the AUTHORS file, to recognize the people who contributed the most. NOTE: if you don’t like to appear in the list, or you prefer to appear with a different name and/or email, please let us know.
  • back to GNOME upstream grid icon (we will work in the background to provide an alternative, but for now we go upstream)
  • more bug fixes as usual!
8 Likes

@taciturasa, speaking purely personally the main problem for me was only really the squircle. I think your “holes” approach was interesting and evoked the style of the Ubuntu pictograms here :slight_smile:

With that in mind, it would be interesting to see your idea adapted further and turned to nine holes in a circle. Of the pictograms, the Ubuntu site says they “mirror the circular aspect of both the Circle of Friends and the Canonical logo… the main element is the circle.” I also note the following from the brand assets overview:

We’ve come full circle
Both of the Ubuntu and Canonical logos feature a roundel element as an integral part of their design. This circular idea has been extended into our pictograms and now into our photography too. This adds an ‘ownable’ feature to our communications and provides a subtle link back to the logo.

Circular inspiration
We feel that there are other ways to introduce circular elements into our communications and we encourage you to expand this idea. This could be type in a circle, dots in a circle, a circle punched out of dots or a circular element within a photograph.

So IMO it’s worth exploring a circular version of your icon as that would be about as “on brand” as it gets :slight_smile: and represent a clear nod to the Ubuntu style guide.

white circle

white circle with maximised window

Personally I find the white a tiny bit “intense” on the eyes, so I wonder if opacity could also be explored? The following is just for illustration, and possibly not the best implementation of the idea:

white dots and opaque circle

white dots and opaque circle with maximised window

Just a bit of food for thought… essentially I think there are three “pros” to a circle in this context:

• It’s just a background shape/framing device, which allows us to respect the upstream symbol (where 3 x 3 dots = all your apps);
  • It creates a clear visual difference between the app grid (circle) and the launcher apps (squircle);
  • It implements a suggestion from the Ubuntu style guide, which shows that Communitheme is “playing nicely” with the wider brand.
1 Like

I like the last iteration, it doesn’t drag too much attention, however I wonder if it’s too similar to Android one

I do not see anything wrong with that.
If will there is a 3x2 grid and rounded dots, than it already too similar to Android.

@c-lobrano, Ha! I had to Google image it. I do use an Android phone since Ubuntu Touch was abandoned :frowning: but I don’t use the standard launcher, and had to remind myself what the app grid button is like.

I see what you mean. Putting the app grid on a circle isn’t super original :stuck_out_tongue: but I think it’s a good look at least.

As well as the different layout (3 x 3 versus 2 x 3), the square dots and opacity would be two other distinguishing features. I’ve seen two versions of the Android button: a solid white circle with 2 x 3 holes, and 2 x 3 dots with a circle around them. I haven’t seen it rendered as a semi-transparent circle with dots on top of it. I mean, that doesn’t mean it’s not been done, and I’m not saying it makes the mockup super original or anything, but it might be enough of a difference.

EDIT: To be fair, I already like the current app grid button. I’m just playing around in GIMP really :slight_smile: