Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

This is proof that Amazon isn’t a third-pary app.

1 Like

~Work in progress : Gtk-2.0 Dark~
Mainly the menu-bar and the menu at this stage.

Managed to get the menu-bar and the menu to work nicely now but couldn’t find the option to get round corners :man_shrugging: .
I need your feedback : Is it good as it is? , concerning the color or any other idea about it.

4 Likes

This looks good!
But we always miss the “before” “after” comparison :smiley:
The best would be if you would test it with some gtk2-widget factory (@c-lobrano which one is the correct? I don’t want to link crap)

I can say two things need work from looking at the picture:
The toggled search button has uneven lengths
The slider knob should be white (but we are working on the sliders at the moment so wait with this)

Edit: and the best would be if you would use the ubuntu font in the pictures
I still owe you a video :wink: I try tomorrow

Edit2: and is the gtk2 light version on par with these changes?

2 Likes

This one should be the correct one:
https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+archive/ubuntu/awf

And you did change the margin in the menu entries didn’t you? :wink:

2 Likes

I use that already :smiley: - here you can see I still have long way to go …

I needed mainly feedback about menu-bar and menu… :smiley:
I’ll try Ubuntu fonts … ! hmm…
About the slider knob - I wanted it to be round first - like all other ones. I’ll make white, I promise :wink:

Did you give me any choice? :wink:

NP about the video, we all have(real) life to live …

You need to switch the colors. Inkstone for the elements and darken(inkstone) for the background

The menu is a little bit too dark.
Best would be if you would take the correct colors from _colors.scss

Thank you very much for helping us!
You can make the knob white, but the trough is being discussed at the moment for the dark theme

4 Likes

Yes! I know about the elements color and stuff, Not all of them are reflecting in the AWF picture, since they are assets that not configured yet.
About the trough discussion, as you can see, it is a bit lighter in my theme for now.
No need to thank me I just need more free time … and plenty of patience :slight_smile:
Thank YOU!

3 Likes

Hi :smiley:

Is there anyone here using a 4k display? It would be great to get some feedback on the state of HiDPI with this theme :mag_right:

1 Like

Yes my wife. Everything can be scaled from within gnome settings but not the the gdm screen which is super small. Even in X the gtk apps and the shell can be set to 200% and then it looks really good.

1 Like

Hello, is it possible to apply commutheme to the " Ugly bar " of rhythmbox ?

Here is an example with Arc darker !

Hi @vincent-jpainchaud , Maybe I can suggest something that is in the configurations of the Rhythmbox :

Go to the menu and choose the plugins:

and enable the first one :

The toolbar in my screenshot is the result.
Hope it will help.

3 Likes

Thank you, I Know, but I prefer the " Ugly Bar " than the canonical one.

We prefer the gnome hig. And the plugin is default on a fresh install in rhythmbox. So from my point of view there is no point in further tweaks. We should focus on the default look styling if there is any need

7 Likes

Okay, so, this is just a rough mockup (I couldn’t even be bothered to align it all properly, it’s 12AM as of posting and if anyone likes this I’m gonna turn it into perfectly aligned codestuff anyways), but I was thinking of some ways to improve the app grid button + Activities label in communitheme, because imo the presentation in default GNOME is very poor. I like the way that Arc uses three dots, but i didn’t think that’d convey the idea of Activites very well. After some thinking, this is what I’ve come up with:

Before

After ( Look @ Bottom Left + Top Left)

Through more than a decade of mobile phone use, people have been trained to know what the app grid button does, so that’s explanatory enough. It’s more communicative of its purpose than the ubuntu logo was.

The change from a label to an OS button may seem weird, but, paradoxically, I feel it may be more communicative to new and old users what that button does than “Activities” does. “Activities” doesn’t relay the idea of the gnome dash very well, but users have been trained on what a start menu is with Windows. It’ll be a likely thing for a new user to explore, and it’ll communicate the space as incredibly important to the experience like it should be: just like Windows Start or macOS Apple menu, the branding is a signpost.

That, and I feel it’s pill shape would make for a very good home button/modern gesture slider for GNOME Mobile, when purism’s new mobile shell hits critical mass and if ubuntu ever makes its way onto that :wink:

As stated previously, this is just a rough sketch. There’s no shadows or alignment work, and it’s more just to get a feel for the concept. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Thanks for the mock up :slight_smile:

We discussed this a few times already (it’s lost in the thread history), but the general idea is that changing the “Activities” label into something else is up to Gnome, and the last word was to keep our gnome shell as closer as upstream possible (except for colors and shapes, more o less).

About the show application button, I agree that the grid is more meaningful, but at the same time it’s now hard to get rid of the only ubuntu logo we have in the interface, this is why we kept it. A different approach discussed was to ship by default an extention that adds the logo at the side of Activities and revert the grid button.

2 Likes

Whilst I too prefer the headerbar look, I think the issue is more generic.

Some apps have a toolbar that allows you to drag the window - I believe these are marked as the ‘primary’ toolbar. Ambiance draws these darker, so that they appear as part of the titlebar - and give non-headerbar apps a headerbar-ish look.

IMHO, if you can drag the app by the toolbar then that toolbar should be dark like the window titlebar - so that it appears as ‘part’ of the titlebar, and gives a visual clue that it can be used to drag the window. Menubars can also be used to drag the window, are drawn dark, and appear as if part of the titlebar.

But why necessary to brand the button that shows all windows? It isn’t so in demand on desktop, because an user can switch to another application via the dock or with Alt+Tab.

Users can try activities-configurator extention to replace ‘activties’ with desired logo

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/358/activities-configurator/

1 Like