Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

:question: I did not understand anything from that! :confused:

Nooooooo, not in GtkEntry! Did you see your own comment here :wink:

Maybe I’ve got it wrong. I think the meaning is the entry fields can be Blue if the text selection is gray? ??

I am a blue fan :man_shrugging: but this topic is kind of hot and the blue text selection has not been liked? I really don’t know. This whole topic is almost funny :smile:
I just believe that though orange is sexy and our ubuntu branding color, the full orange is just too much for big areas of selected text. It almost burns into the eyes. That’s the only thing where I am quiet sure that it would be best for many people (you can’t meat the taste of everyone). But if it should be light blue, or light gray or light orange ? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

If you write "…But if it should be light blue or light gray or light orange ? "

I’m +1 for this for text selection :+1:

IMHO this orange + blue in entry fields just doesn’t look good and here the full orange wouldn’t burn your eyes (discussed here).

1 Like

I meant, that full orange on large texts is hard for the eyes. I was not counting in the entry fields as large areas :slight_smile:

Is it intentional that, for Chromium - when the app is in focus - the menu bar isn’t quite the same shade of grey as the window title?

stripy chromium

This seems out of step with other apps, where the same shade is used to create a seamless area.

You need to disable this:
It’s disabled by default in chrome. Don’t know why not in chromium :slight_smile:
But the color should indeed not be different :thinking:

:question: I did not understand anything from that! :confused:

:smile: LOL
Sorry, I thought we were on the same page

My understanding is:

• full orange for selected text is too much :+1:
  • we tried blue, but blue with selection ring does not look good :+1:
  • we tried blue for long text and orange for entries. In this case it is not so nice as well (IMO) because we are using different colors for a function that it is basically the same, so we tried a light orange everywhere
  • light orange :fish: does not look good for many of us

Is that right? :slight_smile:

In this situation, any other color we want to use should be the same everywhere and gray to me is fine

3 Likes

Actually, I believe in Chrome 67 it was enabled for all.

Honestly, I think it doesn’t make a lot of sense to use a different colour for selection depending on how large the element is.

I think we should use the same colour for everything that has the same meaning. If it doesn’t look good or if it is too much “in your face”, we should change that color everywhere.

I don’t like the orange for selection/active state, partly because I barely see the difference between orange and red, but I would much rather have everything orange than some stuff orange and some stuff blue.

A desktop is first and foremost a tool, and the theme should be functional first and help the user to use that tool. This obviously puts big limits on the freedom you have with the design, but that is part of the challenge! It’s not only about creating something functional and it’s not only about creating something beautiful. It’s about taking something functional and making it beautiful.

The Suru colour scheme was great in that respect. I can understand if you don’t like the Suru colours themselves, but at least keep the “categories”, just change the colour of the category.

We really need to use colours consistently because colours also have a practical function: to inform the user. I’ll leave the beautiful aspect to others, because, granted, Communitheme really does look good!

3 Likes

A very pragmatic take: (almost) everybody likes blue, (almost) nobody likes orange. Give grey a shot but I’m almost certain it will look very dull and not instructive. Blue makes more sense usability wise.

IMO the entry field issue is overblown and not a major concern really. Blue and orange are complementary colours, not too bad of a combination. If you don’t like it: click it, hit backspace or any other key–issue solved. :wink: You had it for weeks and no one complained (didn’t check :smile:).

Long story short: go for blue and live with the entry field “issue”. Maybe tweak the colour a bit or even think of another concept of indicating selection for entry fields.

7 Likes

No let’s skip the gray then if everyone (look at your likes!) prefers the blue here we go, this time it’s a tiny weeny bit darker than the last blue we had but still lighter than progress bars:

@jaggers @ya.d @merlijn-sebrechts @c-lobrano @madsrh @didrocks @mozit @godlyranchdressing
If you are ok with this we can end this text discussion finally? :smiley: It was a already a real color trip :rainbow:

Here is the snap to test that: https://github.com/ubuntu/gtk-communitheme/pull/546

3 Likes

@frederik-f, thanks for the tip - I’ve never tried that before - it takes up less space without the system title bar, but I actually don’t like the thick border that gets added, so I disabled it again!

Nice work @frederik-f as always.

I’ve only tried it for a short while, but I liked the lighter one we had earlier better :man_shrugging:

A new test snap version is available using:

snap refresh communitheme --channel=edge/gtk-communitheme-pr497

At least now we’re just “fighting” about which shade of blue :blue_heart: :rofl:

7 Likes

YAY for the blue! - Thanks @frederik-f
+1 with @madsrh for lighter one we had before .

3 Likes

I would agree with @madsrh that I preferred a lighter blue, this one is very much “in your face” and force you to only focus on those hilights IMHO.

But +1 to settle on blue :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s 10% lighter than in the post above. Lighter becomes strange in the dark version. I think that’s almost mads blue (is this a brand? ;D)

2 Likes

Generally speaking, for Dark themes there should be different approach . It doesn’t have to translate one to one from the light them. You probably found out already when working on it. (wonderfully- I must say). maybe the text in the Dark theme can be white?

2 Likes

No white text becomes almost invisible with this light blue. We could darken the blue for dark theme only :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Hmm… Darken the blue in the Dark theme is OK, I think… How do you feel about it?