Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Also, by looking here, the ubuntu logo on show applications is a bit too pixelated
especially on a 64x64 icon and an 2560x1080.

We had a problem having the icon sharp for larger or smaller sizes

Now after my last update at least the icon is scale-able. I wonder if we can use the Unity iconā€¦

launcher_bfb

2 Likes

Thatā€™s cool, shadowing gives it a 3D look and texture.

1 Like

I agree. Ubuntu blurred dock looks great :wink:
@mozit This shadow also looks good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can try it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @didrocks
have you seen this project?

What reasons would speak against this?

I will liked if this project was accepted

I donā€™t think there is any value in changing one theme for another one at this stage of the release (and have people confusing by 2 upgrades with 3 different themes). The complexity matrix is on testing and support. I donā€™t see that one addressing those compared to communitheme (yeah, Adwaita has some testing upstream, but it doesnā€™t mean that the color set will work for people with disabilities, constrat is enough and so on).

We are currently supporting Ambiance which is getting fixes this cycle:

4 Likes

Is there a chance that Adwaita-Ubuntu will be available in the repository for download?

If someone packages it and get it sponsored to ubuntu, for sure!
Note that it will require a Feature Freeze Exception though which should be easy to get as itā€™s a new package in universe. For anyone interested: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess

6 Likes

Whatā€™s the status for QGnomePlatform and Kvantum for 18.04? The combination of these two will make Qt apps look, and feel, much more native than the current QGtkStyle.

Also, If Ambiance is still to be used - can someone please attach the active tab of a notebook to its frame?

1 Like

As the creator of Adwaita-Ubuntu Iā€™d certainly like to see it in the repos, but I can also understand @didrocks argument regarding testing with the new color scheme. While I do really dislike Ambiance at this point (Remember, EVERYONE will install the LTS until 2020 and use Ambiance there since no one knows about themes) I can understand why itā€™s being used. IMHO Communitheme is ready for daily use but UI freeze means no UI changes so ā€¦ that sucks. I begin to think that Ubuntu should have some sort of rolling release because there no one would have to care about LTS release dates etc. ā€¦ but also it would be hard to support xD
Start of rant
@CraigD Yes Kvantum would be a necessity IMHO (they even have an Ambiance version) and I wrote about this early but have been ignored (Guys, seriously? QtCurve theme in 2018? Did you ever try to use VLC in Vanilla Ubuntu?)
Some leaving remarks as we see Ubuntu slowly getting the ugliest, most outdated distro in terms of design even ATM and for the next 2 years:

Windows 10 Fluent Design:

iOS:
ezgif-5-9aaf8812fa

Ubuntu with the 8 year old Ambiance theme that will be used until at least 2020:

Need I say more? Itā€™s just sad at this point ā€¦
End of rant

3 Likes

Do you really think that everyone will install 18.04 until 2020 and nobody will use 18.10; 19.04 and 19.10? I agree that Ambiance looks really bad but it only takes a few clicks to install the Communitheme as a snap from the Ubuntu software center for LTS users, and all other users are going to have it pre-installed from 18.10 on. I donā€™t get where the big problem is. Average users may find it hard to install the daily builds, but soon you wonā€™t even have to install gnome tweak tool to switch to a new theme. A new pre-installed theme just for one version is just confusing.

As far as understood didi correctly, we will be able to install the theme snap on 16.04. Thatā€™s the point of snaps after all. So this is all not that much of a problem.
Imagine they promote the theme snap? I bet many people will install it on their LTS.

The humanity icon theme is indeed very hard to stand. But adwaita icons arenā€™t much better.
Suru on the other side is lightyears away, especially the folder icons.

1 Like

As mentioned many times, there was no promise that the theme would arrive for 18.04 so I really donā€™t understand these negative comments (also on OMG).

This thread is now at comment #636, but go back and read the first 100 comments. Thereā€™s a ton of awesome people wanting to contribute and yet, weā€™ve seen only a few (but amazing) people doing so.

It doesnā€™t matter if you write code, find bugs or simply join the conversation to discuss - it all helps.

If you care about Ubuntu - and Iā€™m guessing from the passion that everyone is writing with, that we all do - step up and contribute! The thread isnā€™t titled ā€œCall for Canonicalā€¦ā€.
As @andy-k said ā€œWhining solves nothing, the time frame has been known.ā€. IMO they made it very clear from the start, that they only wanted to ship a rock solid theme. Weā€™ll have that by 18.10! I found my peace with this decision a long time ago.

We all want to see Ubuntu shine (after all, itā€™s the best distro :sushing_face:) and although the out-of-the-box theme looks dated, the snap will make it easy for people to install the new theme.

Letā€™s push things forward and make Ubuntu amazing :+1:

BTW, this is not target at you Felix, I just had to hit the reply button somewhere :wink:

10 Likes

I think for the UI Freeze, just a new wallpaper with a Beaver inherited into it, and new sounds should be fine. Adding the Blyr extension is also good, for the older LTS users from 16.04. The Dash in Unity blurred what was behind it, so blurring the Activities overview and the top bar should do as well. And should we default Suru as the icon theme or keep it to Ubuntu-mono-dark? Because Ubuntu-mono-dark will inherit from Adwaita, and Suru looks clean.

And here comes the Snap! :smiley:

BTW we cannot compare desktop themes with mobile ones, and honestly I donā€™t like windows 10 one and I think we are exaggerating about Ambiance

5 Likes

I have reinstalled my system, and canā€™t install ubuntu-communitheme-session anymore, because of a problem with the GTK theme.

Iā€™m using the PPA on GitHub.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong?

Firstly, thank you for the great work on the new theme. Itā€™s looking really great and I hope it continues to improve in the coming months.

Using the theme daily myself for a past few months, Iā€™m interested to hear what the developersā€™ feeling is towards how the Suru icons integrate with the rest of the theme. I know that the inconsistency between the ā€˜squircleā€™ shapes of suru and other application icons has been discussed. The bright colours of the folder icon is also something some feel strongly about. Personally, I feel there is a slight clash between the thin lines of suru buttons and the bold fonts used in ubuntu.

So Iā€™m wondering, has there been any thought about refinements to suru to make it integrate better with the community them? It makes sense to me that the icon theme should be designed in combination with the desktop theme its supports, but perhaps the developers feel differently.

As an aside, I hope that the developers consider collaborating on a future gtk-theme. They clearly have some good ideas that could be put towards other themes going forward.

2 Likes