Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Because it looks awesome!

Sorry, no offense, but I believe this decision was made 3 months ago.

4 Likes

I frankly think that I can spot Microsoft or Apple UI from miles away, they look strongly branded to me

8 Likes

For a company to effectively ‘own’ a colour in its sector can provide an enormous competitive advantage, achieving instant recognition - in some cases even without a logo, or even a mention of its name. That’s the power of colour, done right.

10 Likes

Please tell us:

Windows uses yellow folder icons. macOS uses blue folder icons. Where exactly do you see those specific colors in the Microsoft and Apple brand?

Also, both use blue for highlights by default (and is even adjustable on Windows 10).

Android uses green color for highlights by default. Where do you see that specific green color in the Google or Android brand?

Just coming here and saying that “you think you can spot Microsoft or Apple UI” does not prove a point.

It was about the orange color being used prominently in the entire theme just because it’s the color of the Ubuntu brand, even though doing it like that is not common.

Themes should use pleasant and practical color, and not forcing one specific color just for the sake of adhering to a brand.

And so does system sounds.

2 Likes

Windows colours for apps are

1 Like

Just because you don’t like orange, this color is not something one should avoid. I don’t like blue, but I would never say that MacOS Looks Bad because of blue. Also what do you want to achieve with this ? 18.04. is out soon and the theme looks nearly perfect.
Also, since Ubuntu uses almost stock gnome now what would be left beside the font and the theme to have a branded Ubuntu feeling? Sorry but maybe you should consider to install one of the many awesome alternative gtk themes out there. Most people like the orange

3 Likes

Indeed - The MacOS crash and startup sounds were quite recognizable.

4 Likes

@communitheme-team
Now the theme seems nearly finished and only some finetuning is necessary. Have you thought about a name for the theme?

4 Likes

Well, this is unfair. We didn’t choose a “branded” color for any generic UI element.

However the blue is really typical for MacOS folders since the origins.
Microsoft has made a brand also out of shapes (the tiles), even on mobile.

That to say that a recognizable UI is made of several things: colors, shapes, sizes, etc.

The story of Ubuntu has defined some elements (like the colors) that are recognizable.

It wasn’t my intention to “prove”, I expressed my opinion.

Totally agree. We actually removed a lot of unpleasant colors from the beginning

And that’s fine, we discussed for weeks about colors

3 Likes

How about

“Umoya”

Google translation from German/English “Wind” to zulu

Better double check :smile:

1 Like

I’d really wish :smile:

1 Like

4 Likes

This looks great - Canonical branding with the purble, Ubuntu blue for the progress indicators like in Communitheme - I really like it!

4 Likes

Regarding the status of the theme - most of the bugs that are in the Github repo aren’t critical (as in they don’t prevent using an app) and it seems to be nearly finished now. Will it now be used? I really can’t see Ambiance anymore and I think most users would actually accept a few bugs in the beginning over Ambiance :wink:

8 Likes

I have to admit, that I am quiet hot to see it in 18.04., too :smiley: It just looks so good

6 Likes

Yes that is the meaning. I’m in Mozambique which is a South Africa neighbour :sunglasses: .

5 Likes

@madsrh @c-lobrano @didrocks @merlijn-sebrechts
In the beginning of the development of the communitheme these beautiful mockups were made by @madsrh
1032ac8f86509e470f56698f91d2c4b947d7117f_1_690x459

The main-characteristics were the rounded edges. I remember there were some technical issues about those round edges.

On omgubuntu is a new article about a new chinese theme which uses a lot of rounded elements:

Is this still interesting? Could some of the code be used? If we forget about the colours it comes very close to @madsrh mockups. Are there elements that could be copied? I know that the mockup is old and you seem to go to a different direction but maybe there are still some ideas you want to try/keep.
You can find the theme here:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/canta-gtk-theme-rounded-corners

4 Likes

Will the communitheme eventually be used for other flavours? Especially for flavours that use GTK+ like Xubuntu and Ubuntu Mate?

1 Like

This Trello card from yesterday hints at something :wink: