Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

I can’t reproduce this, so I don’t know how to look at it :frowning:

That thread is not new. It’s several months old.

See: https://github.com/Ubuntu/gtk-communitheme/issues/29

O ícone da apresentação de aplicativos não é o tamanho do acordo com o dock.

I understand that Google translate is very good, but do you mind to write in english, please?

By the way, I’ll report this as a bug

2 Likes

Sorry for my English, thanks for your attention.

Hey guys, what about these gtk3. Does anyone like round corners and colours in these theme? Found it here, looks very “Ubuntu” )

Found it here https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1215199/

Hi, I noticed the hubbub about the default gnome-terminal theme, and while I like the purple I also like the lower chromatic contrast approach of Solarized, which for example made for a usable default vim or nano experience. This afternoon I did some color experiments with respect to using Aubergine (and a suitable complement, Noon blue) and tweaking the Solarized highlight palette to suit.

I’d like some feedback from you (and @madsrh, @galgalesh, @clobrano, etc) if you’re interested. I don’t know the first thing about gconf editing, but it’s not beyond me to learn if a working demo is required. I also feel like there’s got to be some room for refinement or improvement on the highlight colors (re: increasing distinctness, especailly on the light background).

Here’s the palette:

GIMP Palette
Name: Ubuntu Solarized
#
 52   0  28 Base - Aubergine
 72  35  52 Base 00
122 102 111 Base 0
136 117 124 Base 1
154 145 151 Base 2
164 159 165 Base 3
191 221 222 Base - Noon
221 253 253 Base - Light Noon
 96 165  41 Green
220 163  45 Yellow
246  82  32 Orange
228  16  27 Red
228  43 136 Magenta
128  99 193 Violet
  0 138 203 Blue
  0 170 159 Cyan

Here’s a link to my working file (~200kb): https://blog.andrewkeech.com/images/ubuntu-solarized.xcf <- needs gimp 2.10 or so for the float and LCH support.

1 Like

Just tagging @c-lobrano and @merlijn-sebrechts that opened that discussion and talked about a problem for color-blind people having issues with the current pallet.

1 Like

Bildschirmfoto von »2018-03-01 18-24-15«

Yes, one update today fixed gnome-terminal. The scrollbar background is still dark (when it should be grey like in other apps), but it looks really acceptable now. Thank you for fixing that.

(Remember that I am using a custom, bright gnome-terminal theme. I am not a big fan of the aubergine)

What bugs me in OpenOffice is the bright close button. It happened in Artful with Ambience and remained in Bionic (and the brand new LibreOffice 6). Is that a LibreOffice issue or can that be fixed within CommuniTheme? Or is that intended ny upstream?
Bildschirmfoto von »2018-03-01 19-04-43«

2 Likes

I’ve been updating Communitheme and trying it every day.

The header with drop shadow looks better than it did :slight_smile:

Also, I much much much prefer the new boundary between the Gnome header and the maximised window. I never liked the light grey hairline; this is a big improvement. Is it possible (desirable?) to apply the same decoration to the menu headings? I would prefer some consistency here, perhaps as follows:

Also, I notice that the grey strip at the top of windows now has a subtle darker outline when non-maximised. On balance, I think I like it :slight_smile: but I wonder if elements on the bar now look a bit too “flat” in contrast. Is it possible/desirable to give them subtle outlines, too? I tried adding them to the “Home” button and “x” below:

jaggers #2 cropped

1 Like

Also, I much much much prefer the new boundary between the Gnome header and the maximised window. I never liked the light grey hairline; this is a big improvement. Is it possible (desirable?) to apply the same decoration to the menu headings?

I don’t like the current state as I (a) don’t understand the meaning of black+grey line and (b) think the grey line looks off by 1px since the dark line isn’t visible to me. I don’t care if it is black or grey, but it should be either or IMHO.

Also, I notice that the grey strip at the top of windows now has a subtle darker outline […] but I wonder if elements on the bar now look a bit too “flat” in contrast.

I share that observation and think it makes the border really pop and stand out. Maybe draws too much attention? Not sure… (Looks a bit like an oversharpend image: impressive at first, unnaturally popping at second glance.) Can it be scaled back a bit? Also against bright backgrounds the corner looks too soft compared to the straight edges and rather pixelated too. (Don’t remember if that has been the case before though…)

Also the sharpening of the inner separator seems a regression to me. Don’t know if I like this change after all…

window border soft corner

@ya.d

I agree that the sharpening doesn’t work for the inner separator. Bit of tweaking would be good there, methinks. But I do like it around the edge of the window header, and I’d like to see it added to a small number of other elements to make them “pop” in the same way.

1 Like

Some time ago I tried to “fix” it on Ambiance too, but I couldn’t find a way to avoid breaking other elements (the selector used to style that button was too generic) and the fix was rejected.

NOTE: it is funny, because at that time the bug suggested to take the fix from @godlyranchdressing’s UnitedGnome :smile:

@jyaku @c-lobrano

On a side note and kind of offtopic
Since my switch from unity7 to gnome shell I was somehow annoyed by the button and the menu bar in libreoffice

I made a blog post on how to remove them like this:

https://ff-ubuntu.blogspot.com/2017/09/how-to-toggle-menubar-in-libreoffice.html

3 Likes

Can someone possibly create:

https://github.com/Ubuntu/plymouth-communitheme

?

@nw9165-3201 - Your link is broken

(the old version)
Maybe we can have a blue progress bar (similar to communitheme color scheme), a purple background and flat ubuntu logo? It’s probably similar to 9.10’s, the blue going to the right, then wrapping to the left and so on…

1 Like

@mozit Of course it is broken, because the repository is not there. Hence why I asked if someone could create it.

@fb0209 I see you posted something in https://community.ubuntu.com/t/boot-animation/1849/5 . Maybe you could upload the boot animation as a GIF or as a YouTube video?

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been turning on my (abandoned) Ubuntu Phone to work out why the multicoloured accents bother me in Communitheme, when they didn’t bother me on the phone (the truth is I never actually noticed the green toggles, blue sliders, etc. on the phone).

I think it’s because the backgrounds on the phone are overwhelmingly neutral. The launcher and drag-down options are almost black and the scope background is almost white. The only time you see the Ubuntu wallpaper is when you lock the screen. In fact, when the phone is unlocked, the only real “Ubuntu colouring” is the small square of orange on the launcher.

In that environment, it seems perfectly natural to have lots of different coloured accents (red buttons, green buttons and green toggles, blue sliders, etc.). I don’t think that model translates quite as well to Communitheme, because you see a lot more of the orange and purple branded wallpaper and have more flashes of orange throughout.

To give an analogy, if you wanted to put the word “UBUNTU” on a black or white tee shirt, you could do every letter a different colour, and it would look quite nice. But if you wanted to put “UBUNTU” on a purple tee shirt with an orange collar, it might be wise to have fewer colours for the letters, and pick them quite carefully!

Just my two-penn’orth.

4 Likes

Frankly, I do not even understand why a UI theme needs to fit a brand.

Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, Google Chrome OS, Google Android, Apple iOS, Microsoft Windows Mobile, none of them use strict brand colors in their UI themes.

So why does Ubuntu need to do that? Why does the UI theme need to have orange elements just because the Ubuntu brand is orange?

3 Likes