Bismuth in Ubuntu repo is old for both Jammy and Kinetic

The software on GitHub is on 3.1.4, but the repo still has 2.3.0.

I know the changelog for 3.0.0 says “Breaking Changes”, but at least please put the package in the repo.

The latest versions improve compatibility with 5.25 & 5.26.

Ubuntus upstream is debian, not github, you should ask there to get it updated then it will automatically sync into the next Ubuntu release …

1 Like

So…how do I do that? There a form I’m supposed to fill out?

I don’t use Debian at all.

This is a fairly common question, though in this case for an uncommon package (it’s one of the few that doesn’t seem to come from Debian.

For most packages from Debian, the problem is either 1) Too few maintainers, or 2) A blocking bug. A review of the package at https://tracker.debian.org will tell you which problem. After that, it’s up to you to jump in and provide the needed help. However, this particular package doesn’t come from Debian so this paragraph doesn’t apply.

In this particular case, run apt show <package_name>. Look for the “Maintainer” field and their contact information. That’s the very nice person whom you should offer to assist, since those same two problems are common in Ubuntu, too.

2 Likes

Thanks! Found the name of the guy: @eeickmeyer

Hi @YamiYukiSenpai,

The version in Jammy is compatible with the Plasma that was shipped wth Jammy, so it cannot be updated, that’s beyond the scope of Stable Release Updates.

In Kinetic, I’ll admit I dropped the ball, but it’s impossible at this point to get it in since it’s 1) Beyond Feature Freeze, and 2) Beyond Final Freeze. It might be able to be backported via a PPA, but at this point, I’m afraid I cannot simply do an SRU on it since it would be a major upgrade on the package which is, once again, beyond the scope of an SRU. For the next release (23.04), I’ll make sure I get it updated.

Also remember this before asking for an updated package: Packages in Ubuntu may not be the latest. Ubuntu aims for stability, so “latest” may not be a good idea. Post-release updates are only considered if they are fixes for security vulnerabilities, high impact bug fixes, or unintrusive bug fixes with substantial benefit. Bismuth doesn’t meet any of these qualifications.

Thanks for the heads up, but please, remember, this discourse should never be used for technical support. Thanks!

3 Likes