Announcing the Multipass 0.8.0 beta release

We would like to announce version 0.8.0 beta release of Multipass!

Getting it

The Snap version is now in the beta channel.
The Windows version is found here and the Mac version is found here.

Highlights

• multipass find output is now nicely formatted (#794)
  • separate data for different drivers, allowing safe switching between them (#800)
  • standard input/output support in transfer (#789 - thanks @MaximDanilov!)
  • you can change the primary instance name, meaning any existing instance of your choice can be the primary one - just multipass set client.primary-name=<name> (#805)
  • it is now as easy as multipass set local.driver=virtualbox to change drivers (#835)
    if you used snap set to change it previously, the setting will get migrated to multipass set for you
  • in the snap, the libvirt driver now uses system libvirtd instead of an internal one (#850)

You can find the full list of changes in our v0.8.0 project and even more detailed in the full commit log.

Notes

The MULTIPASS_VM_DRIVER environment variable is now ignored. Please unset it and use multipass set local.driver=… to switch backends.

Significant bugfixes

• prevent crash on delete --purge (#761)
  • fix concurrent launches of the same image (#664)
  • improve find formatting (#603, #765, #530)
  • clean up instance data on failed launch (#680)
  • long output to exec hangs (#772)

System menu

At the moment, on Windows and macOS there’s no icon to click on to run the GUI, as it’s our first iteration. You can run multipass-gui yourself and see the menu in action :slight_smile:

We’ll be properly integrating it with the desktop environments soon.

Feedback

Please file issues here for problems and feature requests, or come to our discourse to chat. We’re also on #multipass on Freenode. See you there :slight_smile:

1 Like

How / where can I get a full list of the keys / values that I can set using multipass set?

To answer my own question - pretty limited at present, but learned how to reset memory (OSX) and cpu via Saviq on IRC.

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.canonical.multipassd.plist
sudo vim /var/root/Library/Application\ Support/multipassd/multipassd-vm-instances.json
you can edit “mem_size” there (it’s in bytes)
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.canonical.multipassd.plist
to start it again