Announcing Edubuntu Revival

So @eeickmeyer, in the interest of brevity; what can the community do to assist with Edubuntu? (besides trying it out, and suggestions). Is there a git/ issue tracker/ discussion board? (besides this forum)

1 Like

Right now, nothing in particular that you haven’t mentioned. Trying it out and suggestions right here are perfect for now.

Because it relies on multiple packages and since each package is an official Ubuntu package, bugs get reported just like any Ubuntu package (just like the OS you don’t report bugs against the entire OS but against individual packages). So, one single issue tracker is inappropriate for such a project.

I will say this though: if there are any suggestions for applications that are FOSS software that aren’t yet in the Ubuntu software repositories, until the 23.10 development cycle opens, I’d say those suggestions for Edubuntu are inappropriate as the focus at this point is to simply get what exists currently up and running, get the application folders in-place, and get the Edubuntu Installer (not to be confused with system installer) in place.

Once we have that, the intention is to apply for official flavor status which, if approved, will get Canonical’s infrastructure benefits in place for the daily .iso images building and will allow us to participate in the beta when that rolls around in late March.

So, with that, we’re still open to suggestions, including wallpaper suggestions as the wallpapers we have are still from 2016. Remember we’re still in the early phases of getting it going. As we keep working on it, try it out by installing Ubuntu Lunar Lobster in a virtual machine using the Minimal Install and installing edubuntu-desktop which will replace all the theming.

3 Likes

Hi Eric (@eeickmeyer), how are you? Do you have the high quality PNG image of the new Edubuntu logo? If yes, is it available for download?

1 Like

I can do better than that.

Here’s the .svg files: ~edubuntu-dev/+git/edubuntu-assets - [no description]

2 Likes

I guess you did.
As it it is still a work in progress.
https://git.launchpad.net/~edubuntu-dev/+git/edubuntu-assets/
The summary Tab has you as the Author.
With Respect,
Thanks

We’re considering this the final version of the logo as it has been distributed in a number of different git repositories and packages, such as edubuntu-artwork and edubuntu-installer which I just finalized yesterday.

The summary tab is a summary of the git commits. As such, I’m the author of those particular commits, so it stands to reason that I’d be the author listed.

Furthermore, since I’m the designer of these particular logos (yes, I’m a bit of a graphic designer), that makes me the author. So, it’s 100% accurate from that standpoint as well.

2 Likes

Well, that didn’t go according to plan. It went better.

During the course of working on some Ubuntu Studio stuff, Len Ovens (Ubuntu Studio Lead Developer - while I’m the Project Leader he and I make a lot of the decision making together) and I got to talking and decided that Ubuntu Studio Installer needed a rewrite. So instead of rewriting that and forking it to Edubuntu Installer…

…I simply wrote Edubuntu Installer from the ground up, and we’re forking it to Ubuntu Studio Installer.

The advantage this will have is that not only is it an installer of the metapackages, but it’s also a remover for the metapackages. For instance, when you first install Edubuntu, it will have every metapacakage installed by default. Open Edubuntu Installer and you’ll be able to uncheck the pieces you don’t need. For instance, I doubt preschoolers will need a graphing calculator or other items from the ubuntu-edu-secondary metapackage, so uncheck that. It will be automatically uninstalled after confirmation. Of course, you’ll have to enter your password.

Conversely, if you want to install a metapackage, simply check it. In fact, it will take care of all operations (both uninstall and install), though it might ask for your password more than once.

It automatically senses which packages are installed or not installed and pre-marks the checkboxes accordingly.

Honestly, this is a very simple interface for installing and uninstalling packages, and I hope that it becomes very handy for administrators pre-configuring computers for children.

Speaking of pre-configuration, another item that’s hitting the list of things we want to accomplish is optional individual pre-configurations for preschool, primary, and secondary. What I mean by this is pre-configuration for:

• the favorites on the dock
  • the default wallpaper

The administrator of the computer would determine who the target age group of the computer is and select the appropriate configuration package to install. This would pre-configure the machine (and for every user) for that particular age group.

We figure tertiary (college and university) would know what they’re doing with a computer already and would be able to use the default, so no configuration would be made for that group.

Additionally, we’re diverging a little bit from the default applications in Ubuntu Desktop. For instance, instead of Thunderbird, we’ve decided to go with Geary, GNOME Calendar, and GNOME Contacts for one main reason: GNOME Online Accounts (GOA) integration. When you first sign-on to the computer with a new account, you’re presented with GOA setup. If you set-up your email accounts via this method, you’re already set-up for these applications to use. Additionally, if you’re more advanced and wish to use Evolution, it’ll already be set-up. We feel this makes it much simpler to administer.

Anyways, that’s the updates we have for now. We’re in the process of choosing wallpapers, getting the application categories set-up, setting-up the default configuration groups, and getting all of that packaged and uploaded for approval in the repository archive if necessary. Once all of those things are sorted, then we’ll be applying for official flavor status.

3 Likes

If the child was being home schooled with Edubuntu.
K thru 12, how would they proceed ?
Spring Break and Holidays, Summer Break…?
Each year select individual metapackage(s) for the students
grade achievement.
Or select all the metapackage(s) for all year learning…?
What is You and Amy and your son’s thoughts on this…?
Just an idle curiosity, from a student prospective.
Thank all 3 of you for your hard work and dedication for Edubuntu…!

That’s the beauty, Bernard. edubuntu-installer is not to be confused with the system installer, which is ubuntu-desktop-installer. This package remains on the system to be executed any time the system administrator, the child’s parent in this case, needs to reconfigure it.

2 Likes

If anybody wants to see a screenshot of what the default will look like (also the default for tertiary/college/university students), here it is:

Other configurations coming soon, but that’s what it will look like by default. Edubuntu Installer will also be in the favorites in the dock.

5 Likes

Hey @eeickmeyer

Where do you stand on the whole Ubuntu Pro idea? And how is this going to effect Edubuntu?

https://cloudisland.nz/@drV/109786183082845131

Here’s a quick link, for clarification.

Full disclosure: I’ve suggested ‘EduArch’, but only because I am an arch fanboy, and I’m really only good for a few ideas and the occasional laugh.

hopefully in a good way, getting free security updates for 20000+ universe packages that were not security maintained before last week is surely a good thing for schools and educational institutions …

2 Likes

Oh cool, thanks for the timely reply, @ogra
I love the fact that the Edubuntu team reply so quickly.

So will Edubuntu be using an enterprise style license for Ubuntu Pro? So students will be able to use it, under their institutions license.

I’m not sure I understand the ‘getting free security updates’ statement though; could you elaborate on that?

there are multiple threads in here about the new pro stuff, i’m not really eager to turn this thread into the next one :slight_smile:

i elaborated a bit in:

… and the following posts in that thread …

1 Like

@ogra naturally, and yes, let’s do that. And thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

It would make sense that the benefits that come with Pro, would be beneficial to Edubuntu.
So I’ll be a bit brazen, if I may, and redirect the conversation back to how Edubuntu is going to be effected by Ubuntu Pro.

I understand that @eeickmeyer is most probably in the best position to answer this, and has been most effective with his replies in the past.

However, I do appreciate your input @ogra. Unexpected, but helpful; thank you.

regarding a free “educational enterprise license” for pro, i guess @Lech is probably the person to ask …

being the original creator of edubuntu back in the days, i know for sure that mark has a high interest in supporting educational institutions, so i wouldn’t be surprised if such a thing exists or is planned at least.

1 Like

@ogra that sounds incredibly promising.

I might leave the inquires about those licenses to @eeickmeyer; I’m just here to put ideas out into cyberspace, and ask questions so I understand a bit more about these things.

Thank you for your patience

To support those using Ubuntu in schools, research and academia, Canonical offers generous discounts. Simply mention that when reaching out to us regarding Ubuntu Pro, or Pro + support, and we will confirm if you’re eligible.

3 Likes

wow, I only now realised that Edubuntu is back! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @Lech
It took me by surprise too; a very pleasant surprise, tbh.
From my perspective, @eeickmeyer and Amy have been doing some amazing work; Edubuntu looks really promising.

Others on this thread have mentioned many circumstances that don’t fall into a typical government backed school system; like refugee children from war torn countries, and home schooled pupils.

When considering the population of students that fall into these less than favorable situations, the absolutely necessary security updates of packages in the universe will be provided to them, regardless…

Is that accurate?

2 Likes