Announcing Edubuntu Revival

If you want to get real technical, you could say that Calamares looks like the Qt port of Ubiquity as it predates it by nearly a decade. :smiley:

I’m not sure how the magic works there, but in my testing (you can try it by downloading a daily build of Ubuntu Lunar Lobster), it’s indistinguishable from the default Yaru theme.

4 Likes

I wonder if it’s just because the colors are set to yaru.
. I have some basic flutter knowledge (taking a course) and I am curious - but that doesn’t concern edubuntu.

My other question would be if it is possible to bundle a panel and menu with edubuntu (same reason as before - windows usage in the world) rather than the stock Ubuntu layout.

I don’t believe this is necessary. From a commenter on the Phoronix article covering this announcement:

No to emulating what other OS’s do. Why? Kids are surprisingly flexible and adaptable, if they’re not autistic and get upset at change (so a PC is the least of their worries). Flexibility was part and parcel of our upbringing in the 80’s; the sheer number of options was astounding. DOS’s galore, GUI’s from Apple and Amiga (damn, that 3D), the list goes on.

Nothing worse than hearing from a narrow minded old fart “oh, I only know Window’s”. They never do, and Windows changes its colours every release anyways.

I can actually relate to that very comment. I grew-up mostly without a computer in the house until I turned 10, then it was a Commodore VIC-20, then a Commodore 64, then an Amiga 1000, and then an Amiga 2000 through high school. It wasn’t until after high school that I had my first actual Windows machine that was any good. However, until high school, all of my school’s computers were all Apple Mac.

So, the “real world” argument is really a red herring.

Furthermore:

That was easy to do using the built-in settings.

3 Likes

That’s a good point (I am still under 18 and have used and can use Windows, Mac, and a lot of DEs proficiently - I don’t think I’m stuck yet :smiley:) and I did not mean for that to be misleading… My point seems ill thought out at this point, and thanks for pointing that out :smiley:

Solid argument @eeickmeyer

@traman124

Keeping in mind, that Ubuntu (and almost all of the other Linux based distros) is fairly good at being adjusted, changed, themed, whatever; Edubuntu should not be any different.

Also… this may give rise to community driven options (scripts, applications, whatever)… Exciting stuff, don’t you think?

You dont need a script @voryzen you only need dash-to-panel and arc-menu, and it can be done the same way as vanilla Ubuntu.

I’m sorry for having this mindset @eeickmeyer and at this point, people can learn to use what they are asked to.

That wasn’t my point, but thank you for the instruction, @traman124
I appreciate that

1 Like

Edubuntu being not a flavor, just a package that is installed through the Linux community. @eeickmeyer ckmeyer
Would it be plausible after the final finish of
Edubuntu to make it into a Snap package ?

" Search thousands of snaps used by millions of people across 41 Linux distributions "
https://snapcraft.io/store

HI again Bernard!

As of now, edubuntu-desktop is a metapackage on Lunar Lobster (future 23.04) that installs another series of metapackages. Metapackages cannot be snaps. Additionally, the intention is that Edubuntu gets its own .iso image and becomes an official flavor.

Additionally, ubuntu-edu-preschool, ubuntu-edu-primary, ubuntu-edu-secondary, and ubuntu-edu-tertiary are all metapackages created by the Edubuntu seed which creates the edubuntu-meta source package and will, eventually, be what creates the foundation for the Edubuntu .iso image.

For a bit of definition, metapackages are packages that install other packages.

Making it one single snap package is really not an option since snap packages don’t really have a facility for installing several other packages the same way that metapackages do, which is one of the keys to making Edubuntu what it was and what we still envision. In fact, I don’t think such a thing as a meta snap exists as of now, and if one did, it would be prohibitively large.

2 Likes

Agreed,
currently it is 206.4 kB compressed - 1,454.0 kB files installed.
If modernizing Edubuntu increasing its required size with
lesson plans for today’s criteria and required new artwork describing the new lesson plans for 2023 and on.
I now can see why this would need to be a .iso
not a snap. Thus I have to agree with you.
The future is to teach all of college electives in the last year of High School. Currently their is 1 in the USA. 41 credits to graduate high school and it is all correspondence school at home learning. Accepted in 34 major colleges . Very expensive. My wife works for them. Having elective classes in High School is an extra year or so this is our new future.

2 Likes

At this point you might be a little confused between what used to be edubuntu and the Ubuntu-edu packages. The original edubuntu was a flavor (iso) until 14.04, when it was dropped. The edubuntu on the 23.04 beta is a metapackage for the desktop that is in development. Also, why would you want a snap? @bernard010

@traman124 I’m pretty sure I adequately explained it and he understood, so no reason to bring it up again, and no reason to go into a discussion about snaps. That would be off-topic.

1 Like

Alright, sorry about that @eeickmeyer

Along with the educational applications, are there any plans to also include some kid-friendly FOSS games for breaks times and such? For example, now that SuperTuxKart supports network play, it opens the opportunity for things like having a whole-class race, and maybe you get a small prize if you beat the teacher or such :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bloody top notch idea, if I don’t say so, myself.

If I was a teacher, I would be jumping at Edubuntu, and @QwertyChouskie would be on the committee.

This is a great idea. I created an IT-related NGO called Foundation For ICT Advancement(FICTA) in Zambia, Africa. My aim is to donate refurbished PCs, Laptops and other IT equipment to rural government schools and push the open-source agenda using Linux as OS since the government does not have money to maintain the Windows licenses.

I hope this will help rural communities in Zambia will become IT savvy.

Please keep me updated.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I’ll ask Amy how she feels about this and keep you updated. Right now there are several educational games in the seeds, some of which have to do with typing, some for math, some for reading, some for programming. However, including SuperTuxKart or something like that hasn’t been discussed, but you bring up a valid use-case, and I’ll bring this to her attention.

3 Likes

Just based on this, we’ve added SuperTuxKart to the seed for Primary and Secondary. With SuperTuxKart in mind, I brought-up SuperTux and, per our discussion, we decided against that one as it doesn’t offer network play. Amy looked at it through the lens of team development and social interaction.

When it comes to games that are designed to be non-educational, we have to be careful, but that doesn’t mean we write them off altogether. For example, SuperTuxKart, being network-competitive, speaks to the social/emotional aspect of learning. As such I’m sure there’s more out there, but we also don’t want to overbloat the .iso image, so we can’t add everything.

3 Likes

I think Tux Paint would be a Good Addition in Edubuntu

Excellent! It’s already in the seed for Preschool and Primary School. :slight_smile:

2 Likes