Announcing Edubuntu Revival

If anybody wants to see a screenshot of what the default will look like (also the default for tertiary/college/university students), here it is:

Other configurations coming soon, but that’s what it will look like by default. Edubuntu Installer will also be in the favorites in the dock.

5 Likes

Hey @eeickmeyer

Where do you stand on the whole Ubuntu Pro idea? And how is this going to effect Edubuntu?

https://cloudisland.nz/@drV/109786183082845131

Here’s a quick link, for clarification.

Full disclosure: I’ve suggested ‘EduArch’, but only because I am an arch fanboy, and I’m really only good for a few ideas and the occasional laugh.

hopefully in a good way, getting free security updates for 20000+ universe packages that were not security maintained before last week is surely a good thing for schools and educational institutions …

2 Likes

Oh cool, thanks for the timely reply, @ogra
I love the fact that the Edubuntu team reply so quickly.

So will Edubuntu be using an enterprise style license for Ubuntu Pro? So students will be able to use it, under their institutions license.

I’m not sure I understand the ‘getting free security updates’ statement though; could you elaborate on that?

there are multiple threads in here about the new pro stuff, i’m not really eager to turn this thread into the next one :slight_smile:

i elaborated a bit in:

… and the following posts in that thread …

1 Like

@ogra naturally, and yes, let’s do that. And thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

It would make sense that the benefits that come with Pro, would be beneficial to Edubuntu.
So I’ll be a bit brazen, if I may, and redirect the conversation back to how Edubuntu is going to be effected by Ubuntu Pro.

I understand that @eeickmeyer is most probably in the best position to answer this, and has been most effective with his replies in the past.

However, I do appreciate your input @ogra. Unexpected, but helpful; thank you.

regarding a free “educational enterprise license” for pro, i guess @Lech is probably the person to ask …

being the original creator of edubuntu back in the days, i know for sure that mark has a high interest in supporting educational institutions, so i wouldn’t be surprised if such a thing exists or is planned at least.

1 Like

@ogra that sounds incredibly promising.

I might leave the inquires about those licenses to @eeickmeyer; I’m just here to put ideas out into cyberspace, and ask questions so I understand a bit more about these things.

Thank you for your patience

To support those using Ubuntu in schools, research and academia, Canonical offers generous discounts. Simply mention that when reaching out to us regarding Ubuntu Pro, or Pro + support, and we will confirm if you’re eligible.

3 Likes

wow, I only now realised that Edubuntu is back! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @Lech
It took me by surprise too; a very pleasant surprise, tbh.
From my perspective, @eeickmeyer and Amy have been doing some amazing work; Edubuntu looks really promising.

Others on this thread have mentioned many circumstances that don’t fall into a typical government backed school system; like refugee children from war torn countries, and home schooled pupils.

When considering the population of students that fall into these less than favorable situations, the absolutely necessary security updates of packages in the universe will be provided to them, regardless…

Is that accurate?

2 Likes

that is great news indeed.

when it comes to getting Ubuntu Pro subscription:

1. anyone can get a free Ubuntu Pro license for personal use on up to 5 devices. This would cover all the security updates for both Main and Universe repositories for 10 years

2. Eligible educational and research institutions can cover their whole Ubuntu estate (more than 5 machines) with any product from the Ubuntu Pro portfolio, up to “Ubuntu Pro + support (24/7)” (our flagship product for production and mission-critical enterprise use-cases), at a discounted price.

2 Likes

Hi @voryzen,

First of all, I want to thank @ogra for stepping in and answering first. For those that don’t know, he’s the person who started Edubuntu all those years ago.

Secondly, you got the best answers possible from @Lech, who is definitely the go-to person on everything Ubuntu Pro-related, and clearly answered all of your questions and then some.

As far as where Edubuntu stands on the topic now, I speak for myself and Amy when I say we see this in a positive light. Without paying people to provide security updates to what are essentially dead/unmaintained packages upstream (meaning from the original authors), they’d be full of holes and vulnerabilities. If there was no way to generate revenue for the people now maintaining, then how would you sustain those people? Either way, it’s free for up to five computers, and up to 50 computers for Ubuntu members, and then there’s considerations for educational institutions as @Lech has already stated.

Interesting you mention that, because my wife (who is leading the Edubuntu project now) works in such an institution. However, don’t be fooled: even though it is a nonprofit institution, it receives government grants and operates an ECEAP program. That said, even though on the surface it might be private, it might still be receiving some government funding and meet requirements easier than you’d think.

Now, there’s one piece you’re not considering, and this is part of a larger conversation, and I want to be very clear here: all Official Ubuntu Flavors are not separate distributions from Ubuntu. They might look like it on the surface, they might seem like they’re separate, but they’re not. If you look at Fedora Spins, they’re more akin to that. They’re all under the same governance, and while they have their own sub-governance, they still have to meet a certain requirement to operate and receive the benefits of being an official Ubuntu Flavor.

This means they also benefit from certain items such as Canonical products like Ubuntu Pro, Landscape, and other products.

I hope that answers your question. Overall, I see Ubuntu Pro as a huge boon to every Ubuntu flavor.

2 Likes

I’m very glad that you think so; the way @eeickmeyer crafts his replies, instill an unwavering confidence in myself (and I would wager, others), that is sort of hard to explain, and give an appropriate justice.

The insight is much appreciated, and good to know where the Edubuntu team stands with this aspect.

This is a fantastic learning experience, I find this insight immensely interesting.

Regarding this insight, (and I am by no means trying to be antagonistic) from a wholy technical point of view, in the unlikely case that some users of Edubuntu decide that they do not want to sign up to Ubuntu Pro, would their installations be regarded as insecure?

1 Like

Hopefully none at all. Knowing what security vulnerabilities will pop up after release, unfortunately, requires spherical glass knowledge that I don’t have.

3 Likes

Déjame decirlo en español: Ole, ole y ole!!!
As mother of a gifted/high capacities girl, I was looking for the perfect environment for her to play and explore. I was missing Edubuntu. Will this new flavor bring us Scratch 3 preinstalled? Games based on physics? Krita, pixel art apps? Music composing? Different language learning? Anything about AI? Maths? I’m so excited! Let us know if we can contribute and of course the best is knowing metapackages will be available for any other flavor to download!!!

Wow! I’m so glad you’re excited! We have GIMP preinstalled, but Krita and Scratch 4 are available in the repositories, as well as music composing applications such as MuseScore 3 and tons of language learning applications! I encourage you to download the beta and find out! For pixel art, try PikoPixel, also in the repositories!

I am, however, going to ask Amy about Scratch and PikoPixel for next release (we’re feature frozen now and cannot change it prior to final release). Sadly, we can’t include everything, but that’s what the online repositories are for!

2 Likes

Wow, it’s amazing to hear that Edubuntu has come back. Keep it up and thanks for the effort! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to close this topic as Edubuntu has been revived over six months ago.

2 Likes