Add shotcurt to "places" in Files icon on dock

Hi folks;

Currently when we right click Files icon on Ubuntu’s dock we see only three options: New Window, Remove from Favorites and Show Details. I think it’s important to have a shortcut to (the old aged) “places” - Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos - on it. Having such shortcuts is usefull for home and enterprise users, since it allows going straight to the desired folder directly from the dock.

It’s important to note that this feature is present in Ubuntu 16.04, which uses Unity as the default Desktop Enviroment, and probably a significant amount of users will upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 when it’s released and - despite the new layout - they will expect the dock to behave the same. In addition it’s also important to note that Windows 7 (and afterwards) has such a feature and some users migrating from this plataform will expect to find those shortcuts when they right click the file manager icon. Lastly, Ubuntu 20.04 is a LTS release and will be used by many for years to come, so I think it’s important to have this feature implementend in this cycle.

I see no reason for not implementing these shortcuts in Files since others icons on the dock, such as Firefox, Videos and Rhytmbox already have their own shortcuts when right clicked. And since I brought that up, I’d like to say that some apps have duplicated entry when right clicked. In Libre Office Writer, for example, we have “New Window” and “New Document”, both with the same result: it opens a new instance of the text editor. The same happens with Calc, Impress and Draw.

Coming back to Files:
I’m not a developer, but I figured out how to do this in Ubuntu 18.04 (see it at askubuntu), so I think it must be easy to implement a solution in Ubuntu 20.04 that wouldn’t require a lot of effort to maintain.

I Hope it make it. Thank you all for your attention.

Best regards;
Alex

6 Likes

Indeed - because I miss this so much I always install https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/8/places-status-indicator/

I think either the extension or the right click menu should be enabled by default.

3 Likes

I’m glad you agree. Anyway, is this the right place to request new features or there’s somewhere else?

1 Like

The official way is to file a bug on Launchpad, I guess.