About the Introductions category

Hi! I really liked my OS class in college but never found an opportunity to develop further in that area. I stumbled across this and hope that it will be an opportunity to contribute.

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here, in the Ubuntu Discourse community, and wanted to introduce myself! I’m currently in the running for a Customer Success gig at Canonical and thought it would be a good idea to connect directly with the community. I’m looking forward to learning from this community. If you have any tips or interesting facts about life in the Ubuntu world, I’d love to hear them. Thank you in advance for your help!

Gabo

Hi my name is Brent and this is my first time in a Ubuntu community, I just recently graduated with a Bachelors, Computer Engineering major. I was invited to join after applying to a cloud field engineering position with Canonical. I am excited to be here, and excited to learn and get to know different people.

Hello,

I am Cansu Efe. With a successful university education and diverse experiences in various industries, I believe I can effectively contribute to the role of Junior Product Marketing Manager. I am excited to bring my relevant skills, projects, and experiences to make a meaningful impact on the Canonical team.

Education and Skills: I graduated from Bilkent University and am currently pursuing my education in International Trade and Logistics at Anadolu University. Among my computer skills are tools like Python, Solidworks, LaTeX, Figma, and I have a basic understanding of SQL, SAP, R. I am proficient in Turkish (native), English (full professional proficiency), and have a beginner level of Russian.

Projects and Experiences: Projects such as my research on the environmental impact of geothermal power plants, internships at Norm Fasteners, sustainability projects, and product internships at Netmera have equipped me with diverse experiences. Initiatives like Mega Disinfection and co-founding the Buddyin’ mobile app showcase my leadership abilities.

Activities and Certificates: Participating in social awareness projects during my university years, volunteering for the Turkish Red Crescent, and actively contributing to various clubs demonstrate my ability to work harmoniously within a community. Certificates like Studio Cambridge Sir William Summer School, IELTS, and Arçelik Step Forward Week underline my commitment to continuous learning.

Why Canonical? I am eager to redirect my career towards product marketing in the dynamic and innovative environment that Canonical provides. With a multidisciplinary perspective gained from various projects and leadership experiences, I believe I can develop effective strategies to market Canonical’s products successfully.

This position appears to be an opportunity to contribute with my skill set. I look forward to joining the Canonical team and achieving success together.

Best regards, Cansu Efe

Hi all,
I’ve used Ubuntu for years, as a home desktop and professionally via VMware and WSL, but this is my first foray into this community.
I was happy to find out about Ubuntu One to enable trustworthy auto updates.
I’ve recently applied for a position doing hardware certification, and I’m ready to dig into several topics! A perennial interest for me is NVIDIA configs on my Ryzen 5/ GTX1050 Ti/ Xubuntu setup.
Great to be here!

Hi, my name is Henrique Branco, I’m from Brazil. At the moment my role is machine learning engineer, passionated by Python programming language and a Linux lover.

I enjoy this world of open-source and just started making part of Ubuntu’s community! How can I contribute? Just let me know!

Hello everyone, I hope the day is treating you well!

My name is Colette, and I’ve just applied for an Accounts Recievable role, and thought I ought to come say hi! I’m happy to be here, and I look forward to learning more about the company.

Hi everyone here!

A warm hello from Indonesia, kindly allow me to introduce myself. I’m Arung, although I have been using Ubuntu since 2016 TBH I just found out that this forum exists. I’ve not been so active in askubuntu, because I feel many more people have more capability of answering the questions (although I’ve tried to answer some based on my personal experience). Honestly, I know this forum because I’m currently applying for a position at Canonical.

Would love to know how to get started in this exciting community. I have always been a FOSS enthusiast for many years now. I’m an Ubuntu user myself. I have a big interest in the OS, especially for Ubuntu Touch, but I kinda lost track of its recent progress. Why am I interested so much in Ubuntu Touch? Because I have 2 laptops that have touch screens, and the last time I checked Ubuntu Touch is still available for mobile devices only. Would love to see it available for PCs/Laptops it will bring a new torch to the technology industry I believe.

That’s a brief introduction from me, really appreciate it a lot if someone can help guide me on what’s next to contribute to this community.

Thanks,
Arung

Hi!

My name is Nicholas. I am a graduate student from Iowa, in the U.S., and I’m about to get my Master’s in Computer Science next semester. I have been using Ubuntu since Unity first came out, and I’d love to use the skills I’ve learned to contribute to project. Naturally, I have applied for a position at Canonical, but if I want to contribute and learn no matter what.

I have experience as a back-end developer and as a research assistant (ask me how I made a uav that follows people around!) and I’ve worked with GUIs and Machine learning on top of it, as well as some embedded work. if you would like to see any of my personal projects, although they had to take a back seat to grad school lately.

My hobbies are photography and game design, and I’m learning guitar! I’m also really big into IOT. I have a disability and I have found many IOT devices to be a huge game changer for my quality of life.

Thanks for reading, if there is a good place to get into contributing to Ubuntu, especially something that fits my skillset, let me know!

Hello everyone. My first access to this group. I am a candidate for the Junior UI&UX role. What can we do together in this intriguing and exciting environment and can you help with this role? Thank you very much.

Nihal

Hi Beril, welcome to the community! I am also new here and I stumbled on this issue as well. I figured that If you scroll down the Introductions category, an hyperlink saying “Start new conversation” will be at the bottom of the list. I hope this helps! Cheers!

Hi everyone :wave: my name is Mohammad, new to the community :grinning:
I just applied yesterday for the role of Web Developer at Canonical.
I’m here to meet with you and contribute/collaborate to open-source forums. Cheers!

Hello Everyone New to Ubuntu community, but not so new to Linux.
i’m COO at my current Work and Linux and Development as hobby/freelancer mostly focussing 3D development Blender/Three.js and Video and photo Editing. i was using Fedora Workstation and Silverblue as daily on both laptops for 2 years and i decided to test and try Ubuntu on my Daily workflow since it has better support for Propriatery Softwares and transition has been fun not so smooth tho, but extremly fun and i am liking Ubuntu just need some time to learn some tweaks and quirks at the end it is so much difrent than Fedora

Hi everyone, I just joined the community. I interacted with Ubuntu a few years back, hoping to pick up from where I left. I have recently applied for a position with Canonical, looking forward to learning from all of you and also to contributing to this community. Thank you

Hi everyone in the Ubuntu community ! My name is Bill and I am a prospective candidate for a talent analytics role with Canonical. I hail from Canada but have been living and work abroad in the Middle East and Asia for the past 8.5 years with the majority of my experience within Human Resources. This is a wonderful platform and I’m looking forward to being a regular contributor!

Hej hej allihopa

Hmmm, not sure if I’m doing this right but here goes

Who
I’m Ziba, pronounced Zeeba
Where
San Diego, CA, but I am somewhat of a nomad, so who knows where I’ll go next.
When did you start using Ubuntu?
Applied for an interesting role and got the most brilliant triggered email with a link to Ubuntu and just had to explore it.
What do you want to do?
Understand what this community is all about and help contribute in any way I can, wether it’s helping with translation, QA or anything else.
How can we help you get started?
Help me learn the basics about this community or point me to a task/project that I can contribute to, to help me me learn faster.

Hello everyone!

My name is Viktoryia and I’ve recently applied for a junior UX designer job at Canonical. I’m a Russian native speaker. I had been living in Belarus for many years, but now I live in Poland. I’ve heard about Ubuntu from my brother, but I’ve never used it before. As a designer I share Ubuntu’s principles of accessibility and freedom and I really like Ubuntu’s mission philosophy.

I’ve noticed team spirit and support for everyone here. Probably I might need help to fully grasp this exciting world.

So I’m looking forward to be a part of this community and to work with you

Hi everyone, I am new to Ubuntu Discourse. Just applied to a job in Canonical, and found my way here to get to know the Ubuntu and the company better. Not having a computer science background, I would appreciate any advice on where to start discovering more about the community and Ubuntu.
Thanks!

Who Norah Medlin
Where Mokena, IL
When Warty Warthog
What Outreach, Community Support
How point me to where help is needed

More I am a returning Ubuntu advocate and seasoned admin. My most recent full time roles was as a Senior Technical Project Manager for Drupal Web Agencies.

Hi to everyone… I’m in Queensland Australia but my experience with Ubuntu has been largely deploying it in Papua New Guinea for about 20 years. I’ve deployed Desktops, servers and SBC platforms for clients and supported them transitioning out of Microsoft/closed source OS’es and applications. I’ve been in Australia since 2021 and have been surprised how ignorant people are of the real-world solutions opensource offers for daily computing… Ubuntu Desktop is just one of those implementations many ordinary Australians could benefit from, in the home, SME’s and larger (particularly) education institutions.

I’ve also worked with a lot of Debian-based derivatives but my first foray into opensource began with Fedora in the early 90’s and then Ubuntu in 2004. I’ve supported all the versions of Ubuntu Desktop since then and witnessed it’s growth and diversification into other areas of computing… I have no doubt it will be much more long after I’ve gone!

Any I’m glad to been a part of the team (though silent) deploying Ubuntu and opensource OS’es and solutions more generally.

All the best…
Richard