About the Introductions category

Honestly, it’s been tough…

The lack of partition support vs having extra, unallocated drives is a challenge. Fortunately someone from the community was able to help me assign partitions after microcloud init completed.

The bigger challenge though has been the networking. I wouldn’t call myself a linux networking guru, but I do understand how they are typically configured and, with the right documentation and community support, finally was able to get to a point where microcloud init would start to set up the network, but then lack of documentation left me guessing how to complete the questions (i.e. do I use the subnet I’m on when filling out IPv4/IPv6 or a new one? If I’m picking a new one, how do I do that for IPv6 (a weak point of mine)?). I haven’t found any doco on UFW support at the node level, without that I’d be leery wanting to launch this in a DMZ or live online (I’m old school and want rules that allow explicit traffic in/out of each node with ports or port ranges).

A lack of a “reset everything so I can try again” is frustrating. The only thing I knew would work would be to reformat and reinstall 22.04 to start over, but obviously that is time consuming and likely not necessary, but I’d have so many one-off commands to learn and execute to undo it all I’d be afraid I couldn’t get the pieces right.

As to how I plan on using it, my next step (once I have a running cloud that I don’t feel I want to start over with), will be to layer in a microk8s cluster and then start pushing some pods onto it. My hope is that by leveraging the microk8s cluster on top of the microcloud, I’ll have resiliency and redundancy that I’d not have just using microk8s cluster alone.

I don’t feel I’m ready for that step yet as I want to ensure the microcloud cluster is well formed and networking is rock solid, both from within and without.

I am hopeful, though, and although often times it feels like “two steps forward, one step back,” I’m learning a lot about the components and feel better about where I’ll end up when I get to the end of the road; I’m just not sure how far from the end I am yet…

1 Like

I have been playing with microcloud also, and had some of the same issues you mention regarding the networking setup. I think having an example network diagram would be helpful with that.

Regarding the “reset everything” point, a faster way is to remove and purge all the snaps for microcloud, then reboot. Something like:

sudo snap remove --purge lxd && sudo snap remove --purge microceph && sudo snap remove --purge microovn && sudo snap remove --purge microcloud && sudo reboot

This let me experiment a bit faster, because I also got in a state where the cloud was setup part way and it would prevent me from running init again.

How would I go about contacting her? Is there an IRC/Matrix channel for this? I’m honestly just excited and eager to get started ASAP :slight_smile:

Hey guys!

I’m new here so thought I would post to say hello!

I have just applied for the Graduate Customer Success Manager role and am super excited to hear back. Fingers crossed!

Hi everyone, I’m a newbie developer fresh out of bootcamp. I’m in the process of applying for a role at Canonical, and I’m really excited about the possible opportunity to work for a company with a great culture and cool mission. Hopefully I will be seeing and getting to know everyone more! I would love any tips on where to look for more in-depth information and guidance about Ubuntu and open-source!

I’ve tagged her here so she should be aware, but discourse also has DMs. We’re somewhere between chairs in terms of IRC vs Matrix, but you can find me on #community-team:ubuntu.com on Matrix, or on #ubuntu-community-team on irc.libera.chat. Would love to see you on Matrix!

It seems that +NewTopic isn’t available for new members. After a tutorial with discobot it seems we have to earn the privilege to post new topics.

Hello everyone at Ubuntu,
I recently applied for the Organizational development role. The first statement that caught my attention was, “We are now 1,000+ colleagues across 70+ countries.” This is exactly what I am looking for, a diverse, worldwide team! So I thought, why not? Let’s go for it.

A little bit about me, I recently graduated with a master’s in Industrial and Organizational Psychology, my interests lie around organizational development, data analysis, and teaching. I grew up in Florida where I enjoyed sunshine year round. Currently, I am between the vibrant city life of Dubai and Istanbul. Life has its ways of taking you places. I would love to be part of the community and connect. Thank you!

Hi Happy New Year to you all
I am a rust developer and have been using it in professional settings since 2019. I have read in job description that Ubuntu wants to make rust DX as good as possible, which is a great news for me, Ubuntu or its derivatives have been my daily driver for more than a decade and it is great to see Ubuntu want to improve the rust DX. I have applied or a job at Canonical with for this role, however regardless of the outcome I am more than happy to help with the effort. it would be great if someone can point to me to anything I should start looking at.
have a great day folks.
Harry

Hello, I’m Beril.

I have applied for Senior Visual designer position at Canonical. I’ve just realized that there’s an introduction section and wanted to say hi!

FYI I’ve found some replies saying that we should create a new topic but I couldn’t see any button to create one. So, that’s why I’m replying here.

Anyways, I hope you are doing well. Wishing for a happy day!

Hello! I’m just learning about Ubuntu but am a big believer in the open source ethos. It is wonderful to see this community of so many people working to make the world work better. I have wide interests and have experience in research design, psychology, and even art history and contemporary art (I love to learn)! I’ve been most focused recently on developing my technical data analysis skills and want to put all my skills to use to support better decisions and processes for a better world. I would love to contribute in whatever ways would be most useful.

Hello all, I am Chara. I have been studying and working in the Data industry in the last 2 years. I’d be happy to discuss about my experience and help out if anyone is stuck on a data analytics or data science related issue. Cheers, Chara

Hello everyone! my name is Juan Pablo and I am a colombian lawyer, that is right, a colombian lawyer, and even if it sounds weird I am very excited to be here, I just applied to a junior UX Design role at Canonical and I wanted to introduce myself with my future collegues, maybe you are wondering, how a colombian lawyer is applying to a UX Design position, well, I will be happy to explain it.

All has started because I traveled to Italy on 2022 and I felt like I was in home, and I realized that maybe my carreer will not be a good income source due to in every country the laws are different so, maybe i had to repeat all the carreer and that was not a good idea, that is why I started to get curious about Digital marketing and I take advantage of my writing and creativity skills to be a freelance copywriter, and it was a really nice experience, however i had to return to my country and I decided to have a stable source of income and I wanted to be in a place where I can develop in the best way my english, so I started to work in a call center and I improved my english a lot. While I was working I was learning UX Design on a Coursera course because I was intrigued in how I can explore my abilities and I decided that this will be the best area to do it, an in that way I can travel outside Colombia and work around the world, of course the history has more details and I am more than excited to tell my history in following occasions.

Thank you very much for take the time to read a litte bit of my introduction and I wish you a nice day!

2 Likes

My name is Nyangasi Mhozya, and I’m thrilled to be a part of this fantastic Ubuntu community. I bring with me a little over half a decade of experience in the Linux world ans well as Software Development, and I couldn’t be more excited to contribute to such a great project.

Ubuntu holds a special place in my heart as it was my first Linux distribution. Over the years, I’ve witnessed the power of open-source collaboration and the positive impact it can have on individuals and communities alike. Now, I’m eager to give back and play my part in contributing to the success and growth of Ubuntu.

I’m looking forward to engaging in insightful discussions, sharing knowledge, and learning from all of you. If there’s anything specific you’d like to discuss or if there are areas where I can contribute, please feel free to reach out.

Here’s to a vibrant and collaborative journey together!

Hello all :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: It’s painful to adapt esoteric open-source approach to UX writing choices 🥹 Is it open-source hubris? :thinking:

My name is Aneesh Lingala. I am currently 11 years old and started to use & contribute to Linux at 8 years old. I have ported Ubuntu Unity to Mediatek MT8183 ARM Chromebooks. The project page is at Ubuntu Unity ARM Chromebook Port v22.04.

Hi, I’m Simon, recently graduated from university in the US. Really into Linux, especially Ubuntu where I’m playing around with MySQL using a virtual machine. Looking forward to continue learning!

Hi All -
Like many of you, I am very new to Linux and have only been playing around with it for about 3 months. I am a retired Army NCO and am not all that familiar with Linux or computers. I am learning and I try to learn one new thing daily. So far I have Ubuntu v23.10 installed on a MS Surface Pro 8 and on Surface Pro 9 (just bought it a month ago) I installed Ubuntu v22.04. From reading some of the posts here and there, I see lots of talent here and am especially impressed with the 11 year old that just signed up. Never to young to learn! Glad to be here and excited to learn new things about what Ubuntu (and the other flavors) have to offer.

Hi! I really liked my OS class in college but never found an opportunity to develop further in that area. I stumbled across this and hope that it will be an opportunity to contribute.

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here, in the Ubuntu Discourse community, and wanted to introduce myself! I’m currently in the running for a Customer Success gig at Canonical and thought it would be a good idea to connect directly with the community. I’m looking forward to learning from this community. If you have any tips or interesting facts about life in the Ubuntu world, I’d love to hear them. Thank you in advance for your help!

Gabo