A Journey through the coffee region and the branch of the sky

In 2007, when I was studying systems engineering, a group of classmates introduced me to the Ubuntu operating system. At the time, we needed a CD to install it. Who would have thought that 17 years later, the Ubuntu community would allow me to participate in spaces where I could share my knowledge and passion for this operating system. Since that year, I have joined the Latin American Free Software Installation Festival (FLISoL), a community that has grown not only in Colombia, but throughout Latin America and the world, allowing me to learn and share the philosophy and freedoms of free software, to the point of organizing the local event and, in this case, being part of the national coordination team, assisting in the management of social networks and quotes in the budget team.

This year, to celebrate the 20th edition of FLISoL, I had the opportunity to participate as an ambassador of Ubuntu Colombia and receive sponsorship to present three talks in three different cities: Armenia, Cali and Pereira. It was an incredible experience to share the news of the new Ubuntu 24.04 release and to meet so many people interested in free software.

The first stop was in Armenia on April 26th at the University of Quindío, where Luis Miguel Capacho, leader of the FLISoL local community, and more than 90 high school students actively participated. This city, surrounded by beautiful landscapes and known for its coffee, has a very active free software community. The conversation revolved around what Ubuntu is, its community, and the benefits of using Ubuntu and free software, emphasizing the freedom of customization, transparency, and security it offers.

That same day I traveled to Cali to participate in the Free University on April 27th, where I had to talk not only about Ubuntu and its community, but also about how we can create inclusive communities, what are the challenges we have and what we can do to improve. I also talked about the features of Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, known as “Noble Numbat”, and all the new features that this version brings, such as the redesigned user interface, performance optimizations and security improvements, making it ideal for both home users and business environments.

The final event was held in Pereira on May 16th, where, thanks to the organization of Andres Manuel Prieto and his team, around 600 people participated in a very dynamic and energetic event. In Pereira, the presentation focused on the impact of Ubuntu in education and the creation of inclusive communities that encourage participation and learning among university students from different sectors and cities in Colombia. I also presented the highlights of Ubuntu 24.04, such as improvements in accessibility and energy efficiency, which are essential for laptop devices.

Participating in FLISOL in these three cities was an extremely rewarding experience. It was exciting to see the enthusiasm and passion for free software in different parts of Colombia. The discussions and questions from the audience reflected a deep interest in technology and how FOSS can positively impact their lives and communities.

I would like to congratulate and thank the local FLISOL organizers in Armenia, Cali and Pereira for their hard work and dedication. Also to the Ubuntu Colombia community for their continued support and for making this participation possible. I look forward to continuing to contribute and seeing these communities grow and thrive.

Version en Español

Un Viaje por el eje cafetero y la sucursal del cielo.

En el 2007, mientras cursaba mis estudios en ingeniería de sistemas, un grupo de compañeros me presentó al sistema operativo Ubuntu. En esa época, necesitábamos un CD para poder instalarlo. Quién se iba a imaginar que 17 años después, la comunidad de Ubuntu me permitiría participar en espacios donde compartiría mi conocimiento y pasión por este sistema operativo. Desde ese año, me uní al Festival Latinoamericano de Instalación de Software Libre (FLISoL), una comunidad que ha crecido no solo en Colombia sino en toda Latinoamérica y el mundo, permitiéndome aprender y compartir sobre la filosofía y libertades del software libre, hasta el punto de llegar a organizar el evento local y en este caso a ser parte del equipo de la coordinación nacional apoyando en el manejo de redes sociales y cotizaciones en el equipo de presupuesto.

Este año, celebrando la edición número 20 del FLISoL, tuve la oportunidad de participar como embajadora de Ubuntu Colombia y recibir el patrocinio para presentar tres charlas en tres ciudades diferentes: Armenia, Cali y Pereira. Fue una experiencia increíble poder compartir las novedades de la nueva versión de Ubuntu 24.04 y conectar con tantas personas interesadas en el software libre.

La primera parada fue en Armenia el 26 de abril en la Universidad del Quindío, donde Luis Miguel Capacho líder de la comunidad Local del FLISoL y más de 90 estudiantes de colegio participaron activamente. Esta ciudad, rodeada de hermosos paisajes y conocida por su café, tiene una comunidad de software libre muy activa. La conversación giró en torno a dar a conocer que es Ubuntu, su comunidad y los beneficios de usar Ubuntu y el software libre, resaltando la libertad de personalización, la transparencia y la seguridad que ofrece.

Ese mismo día viajé a Cali para participar el 27 de abril en la Universidad Libre, donde tuve no solo de hablar sobre Ubuntu, su comunidad sino también de hablar de cómo podemos crear comunidades inclusivas, cuales son los retos que tenemos y lo que podemos hacer por mejorar. También hablé de las características de Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, conocido como “Noble Numbat” y de todas las novedades que esta versión trae, como la interfaz de usuario renovada, optimización de rendimiento y mejoras en la seguridad, lo que la hace ideal tanto para usuarios domésticos como para entornos empresariales.

El cierre fue en Pereira el 16 de mayo, donde gracias a la organización de Andrés Manuel Prieto y su equipo, participaron alrededor de 600 personas ligando un evento súper dinámico y lleno de energía. En Pereira, la presentación incluyó un enfoque en el impacto de Ubuntu en la educación y en la creación de comunidades inclusivas que fomentan la participación y aprendizaje de los estudiantes universitarios de diferentes sectores y ciudades en Colombia. También presenté las características destacadas de Ubuntu 24.04, como las mejoras en la accesibilidad y la eficiencia energética, que son esenciales para dispositivos laptops.

Participar en el FLISOL de estas tres ciudades fue una experiencia sumamente gratificante. Fue emocionante ver el entusiasmo y la pasión por el software libre en diferentes partes de Colombia. Las discusiones y preguntas del público reflejaron un interés profundo en la tecnología y en cómo el software libre puede influir positivamente en sus vidas y comunidades.

Quiero felicitar y agradecer a los organizadores locales de FLISOL en Armenia, Cali y Pereira por su arduo trabajo y dedicación. También a la comunidad de Ubuntu Colombia por el apoyo continuo y por hacer posible esta participación. Espero seguir contribuyendo y viendo cómo estas comunidades crecen y prosperan.

7 Likes

Hello cangreja533 and Welcome :smiley:

Great presentations - and well done for your write-up.
I enjoyed the read.

Regards

@cangreja533 thank you for all your support during FLISoL Colombia this year and for being the ambassador of Ubuntu Colombia LoCo Team in Armenia, Cali and Pereira.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story and experience at FLISoL! It’s inspiring to hear how Ubuntu has had a great personal impact on you and how you’re sharing it with others today.

This is such an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing with us.

1 Like