24.10 Name Proposals

I propose the name of the next version of Ubuntu 24.10: Orcinus Orca

2 Likes

@sabdfl gets to name next release but does he actually listen to proposals?. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Changed the name of the topic.

4 Likes

How about ā€¦
Savvy Sepia.

1 Like

How about Outsize Orangutan?

1 Like

My pick for the upcoming Ubuntu 24.10 is Outwit Owl

4 Likes

Mine would be Ominous Ornithorhynchus 1

1 Do Latin designations count? ā€œOrnithorhynchus anatinusā€ = platipus.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about the adjective, but the animal will have to be Octopus. Maybe Optimal Octopus?

1 Like

maybe optimistic ox?

Ok, Iā€™ve got another one: Orthogonal Ostrich.

Well, thereā€™s also the Okapi, a kind of a giraffe with a short neck. Maybe Orbital Okapi?

1 Like

Obsidius Ocelot

The ocelot is a medium-sized spotted wild cat that reaches 40ā€“50 cm at the shoulders and weighs between 7 and 15.5 kg on average. It is native to the southwestern United States, Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean islands of Trinidad and Margarita. Carl Linnaeus scientifically described it in 1758.

The ocelot is lovely. But Iā€™m afraid they already did it way back in 2011, with Oneiric Ocelot (11.10). We need a different creature starting with ā€˜Oā€™ for this (o)ne.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot

1 Like

LOL i forgot they already did it
I used Gentoo back then

what about: Omni Oarfish
Omni means ā€œallā€, as in Ubuntu for everyone
oarfish is a peculiar yet gigantic bizarre fish

Oarfish are large, greatly elongated, pelagic lampriform fish belonging to the small family Regalecidae. Found in areas spanning from temperate ocean zones to tropical ones, yet rarely seen

2 Likes

Ah, Omni Oarfish is good!

Personally I love both the Octopus and the Okapi as animal options. For the adjective, what about ā€˜ornateā€™? Itā€™s a generally positive adjective, but not one that could be confused for something specific to the software.

3 Likes

while i stand by my original suggestion i also think ā€œornate oarfishā€ has a certain ring to it

I would like an Optimum Osprey

1 Like

Iā€™ve got two for the list:

Oxygenated Octopus
Opalescent Opossum

3 Likes

ā€˜Ornate Octopusā€™ would be an opportunity for some really great wallpapers if the artists can rise up to the challenge!

1 Like