22.04 Nvidia Drivers

How’s everyone’s experience with Ubuntu 22.04 and Nvidia? I’m a little cautious when it comes to upgrades to Linux, especially because Nvidia drivers love to randomly stop working after upgrades…

I’m currently on 21.10 with Nvidia driver 510. Is Nvidia working for 22.04 users? Any workarounds I should know about that are required?

I upgraded to 22.04 LTS a few days ago and I didn’t experience any problems for now. This is my graphics info:

$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GA102 [GeForce RTX 3080 Lite Hash Rate] driver: nvidia
    v: 510.60.02
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa gpu: nvidia
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/PCIe/SSE2
    v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.60.02
2 Likes

The main Nvidia bugs we are seeing reported in 22.04 are:

Only the first issue is unique to 22.04. The second issue is more likely to be experienced in 22.04 since we made Wayland easier to try. The third issue is more likely to be experienced in 22.04 because GNOME apps became hardware-accelerated with the move to GTK4.

7 Likes

I installed 22.04 a couple of weeks ago on my MSI GL73 9RCX with the hybrid NVIDIA setup. My external monitor has been flaky ever since. By flaky I mean the monitor goes completely black for a few seconds at a time. How often and how long it remeains out seems to vary randomly. I tried multiple versions of the NVIDIA driver they all have the same issue. I replaced the Displayport cable with a new certified 8k cable. I tired different frequencies for the display, and different resolutions.
None of these settings fixes the issue. The only way to have a stable external 4k monitor is to put the driver in Intel mode, which kinda sucks. The exact same setup was stable under Ubuntu 21.10 with no special configuration.

On a hybrid laptop isn’t it always the Intel chip that is running the display?
Tried https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1958191 ?

Usually for the laptop screen yes, but @phil2hood is talking about an external monitor.

For external monitors it depends heavily on the model of laptop and which GPU the DisplayPort is wired to. They’re all different with different configurations and different bugs, so remember to always open a bug of your own and we can help to identify the problem. Discourse is not the intended place to provide support.