22.04 Nvidia Drivers

How’s everyone’s experience with Ubuntu 22.04 and Nvidia? I’m a little cautious when it comes to upgrades to Linux, especially because Nvidia drivers love to randomly stop working after upgrades…

I’m currently on 21.10 with Nvidia driver 510. Is Nvidia working for 22.04 users? Any workarounds I should know about that are required?

1 Like

I upgraded to 22.04 LTS a few days ago and I didn’t experience any problems for now. This is my graphics info:

$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GA102 [GeForce RTX 3080 Lite Hash Rate] driver: nvidia
    v: 510.60.02
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa gpu: nvidia
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/PCIe/SSE2
    v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.60.02
2 Likes

The main Nvidia bugs we are seeing reported in 22.04 are:

Only the first issue is unique to 22.04. The second issue is more likely to be experienced in 22.04 since we made Wayland easier to try. The third issue is more likely to be experienced in 22.04 because GNOME apps became hardware-accelerated with the move to GTK4.

9 Likes

I installed 22.04 a couple of weeks ago on my MSI GL73 9RCX with the hybrid NVIDIA setup. My external monitor has been flaky ever since. By flaky I mean the monitor goes completely black for a few seconds at a time. How often and how long it remeains out seems to vary randomly. I tried multiple versions of the NVIDIA driver they all have the same issue. I replaced the Displayport cable with a new certified 8k cable. I tired different frequencies for the display, and different resolutions.
None of these settings fixes the issue. The only way to have a stable external 4k monitor is to put the driver in Intel mode, which kinda sucks. The exact same setup was stable under Ubuntu 21.10 with no special configuration.

On a hybrid laptop isn’t it always the Intel chip that is running the display?
Tried https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1958191 ?

Usually for the laptop screen yes, but @phil2hood is talking about an external monitor.

For external monitors it depends heavily on the model of laptop and which GPU the DisplayPort is wired to. They’re all different with different configurations and different bugs, so remember to always open a bug of your own and we can help to identify the problem. Discourse is not the intended place to provide support.

Thank you! The __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 made a massive difference here. This should be the default for nvidia setups on 22.04.

The windows were only laggy (extremely laggy) if other specific apps were open (like Zoom, glxgears, and a couple of others).

Only fixed GL apps, but not others like Zoom.

If __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 works for you then please subscribe to and discuss it in LP#1799679 or mutter#2233.

No, it only helped GL programs which are not the bulk of my issues.

It’s an extremely frustrating and annoying bug.

That might be good news. If there’s another root cause at play then we might have a chance of fixing it in libmutter, rather than pointing at the Nvidia driver helplessly.

1 Like

Installed Ubuntu 22.04 on two machines with nVidia graphic card by downloading the drivers during install. No issues encountered on my laptopl Dell XPS 15 7590. Not the same on my self built Desktop where after restart I get the infamous black screen of death, not even able to repair / rescue install with boot repair. The issue was present with the previous install of 20.04 when selecting the NVIDIA legacy drivers after install, but was solved when uploading them during the installation. Tried two times with 22.04 and 510 proprietary tested drivers and both time I got the black screen after retart witn only cursor blinking after some lines of codes are displayed. Now reinstalled with the Nouveau driver.

@philippulus, I have not seen any bug reports from Ubuntu users about an “infamous black screen of death” in 22.04. At least not that I recall.

Please report a bug from the affected desktop machine by running:

ubuntu-bug gnome-shell

and collect logs from previous boots where the black screen was occurring by running:

journalctl -b-1 > prevboot1.txt
journalctl -b-2 > prevboot2.txt
journalctl -b-3 > prevboot3.txt
journalctl -b-4 > prevboot4.txt
journalctl -b-5 > prevboot5.txt

and attach them to the new bug.

2 Likes

Sorry, I cannot.
It is the third time I install 22.04 on this machine as the previous installs gave me the black screen at reboot.
I am now using the Nouveau driver and have rebooted multiple times already.

@philippulus, in case your black screen problem was something crashing, there may be historical evidence of that. Please look at https://errors.ubuntu.com/user/ID where ID is the content of file /var/lib/whoopsie/whoopsie-id on the machine. Do you find any links to recent crashes on that page?

P.S. The page usually starts out reporting no results, but refreshes within 10 seconds.

1 Like

Which one could that be?

@philippulus, only the most recent gnome-shell crash might be relevant.

Separately, I wonder if https://launchpad.net/bugs/1878838 is still happening for anyone.

Needed to apply in order get access to the crash reports…

I have access already if you can tell me the ID or have a link.

First gnome-shell crash report on 21st June (first install)
Second gnome-shell crash report on 22nd June (second install).