16.04 Install on VM VirtualBox 5.2.2 hosted on Win10

I have been trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 64bit under VirtualBox 5.2.2. The machine is a i5-6500 with .5TB mirror raid SSD running Windows 10 Pro.
I have VM Virtual Box 5.2.2 r119230 installed in Windows 10. It has been working well with a Windows 7 Pro deployment.
When I try to create a NEW VM (always erasing the old one completely) and install from the ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso file it will typically start the copying of files but then start throwing kernel messages indicating errors with ATA3. Some look like DMA errors, some are device resets.
The VMs I’ve tried are all VDI with different size volumes (32G to 100G). Multiple processors and different combinations of video memory. I have tried setting the SATA device solid state drive option but see no difference.
When the install hangs it seems to be crashing VM VirtualBox as I can’t seem to kill the processes and when I do a host Windows 10 restart it indicates parts of VM are still running.

Is there a recommended VM configuration that someone can give me that would work?

I’ve moved this to the https://community.ubuntu.com/c/support-help-requests category because this site isn’t designed to take tech support questions. Sorry. I’d recommend using one of the official support channels listed on the Finding Help page.