Yaru Accent Colors are coming to Jammy!

Yes that’s great.
You can even choose a GS accent color and another icons color (through Tweaks!).

2 Likes

How will these be available exactly? Will they be all packages the user will manually install outside of gnome-tweaks?

They were in proposed repo when I dl them.

@itzswirlz you don’t need to install any other packages, it’s already installed by default out of the box on ubuntu 22.04

@fthx the theme switcher from appearance switches gtk-theme, gnome-shell-theme and icon-theme all at the same time for me . So it’s comparatively easier to use the Appearance page from settings app rather than changing all different key values manually one by one in GNOME-Tweaks

Yes but that’s not my post.
I was talking about the different possible colors between accent and icons. And you cannot achieve this through Settings.

sorry I use Google translate english is not my speaking language so I said something else that you didn’t ask for

Indeed you can install other themes, but those are not supported by Ubuntu and will likely not work well in many scenarios

About Yaru and snaps:

I get to have a teal-accented stock Ubuntu? Woo hoo! :tada:

Thank you so much to everyone who made this happen! :blue_heart: :green_heart:

4 Likes

This is a great touch. Been running 22.04 in a VM for a month now and this is shaping up to be one very polished release. Thank you for all the work you do everyone.

Common themes snap will include these accents.

4 Likes

Love it, really great work everyone who worked on this!

Just wondering, in future would it be possible when changing accent colours, to change the the default background to a variant based on the accent colour selected? Are there any plans to implement such a thing whether in upstream GNOME or just Ubuntu?

Once again great work, really looking forward to Jammy’s release :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is awesome, and currently testing I am loving the colors. I did have a question. We seemed to have lost the reddish-orange color for the close button on windows. Is this related to libadwaita?

Welcome to the community on Discourse! We’re happy to have you here, and we’re just as excited about the accent colors.

I know Ubuntu MATE changes the default background with the accent color select, though since they’re a different DE I don’t know how much of what they did their is applicable to this. It really would be exciting to have that feature in stock Ubuntu!

1 Like

IIRC yes, but I can’t find the link.

Would be nice to see this work with Unity @khurshid-alam @rs2009

While it’s something I’d like to have, it’s sadly technically impossible to have because we’d need to ship an infinite number of themes for each colour… Or well, maybe we could ship an higher number of themes and get the closer color depending on the wallpaper.

However…

Create a theme with accent color is really easy:

# Dependencies
sudo apt install meson sassc inkscape

git clone https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru.git
cd yaru
# Now edit meson_options.txt to add a colour or to change one that is already set
# to match your taste
meson _build -Dgnome-shell-gresource=true
ninja -C _build render-accented-icons # it takes a while and you need inkscape installed
sudo ninja -C _build install

Now you’ll find the new/modified accent installed for all the components.

1 Like

An update on this: if you prefer to have your GNOME Shell to always use a dark/light variant with the same accent color of the main theme, you can now tune this more:

gsettings set org.gnome.shell.ubuntu color-scheme prefer-dark # To always use a dark shell
gsettings set org.gnome.shell.ubuntu color-scheme prefer-light # To always use a light shell
gsettings reset org.gnome.shell.ubuntu color-scheme # To just use the default, in sync with default theme

For example, this is a light theme with a prefer-dark shell:

8 Likes

Hi! Do you know by any chance if Flatpak will also add support to this (as Snap do with common themes)? I’ve some Flatpak apps installed and they’re not respecting my chosen accent color.

An example (Extension Manager):

Never mind, I’ve just found a bug filled here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yaru-theme/+bug/1970282.