What do you want to see in APT?

this is not APTs fault

APT is responsible for the repo format that requires defining a distro codename/version for it to work, unlike fedora where version ( $releasever) is dynamic.

that does not change the fact that PPA maintainers will need to re-build their packages against the new dependencies in a new release, no matter how the release naming is handled here …

… also, beyond the fact that you give every PPA maintainer full root access to your system, you also give them the ability to replace any essential part of your OS to their liking (including your kernel or any system library).

to have a supportable OS it needs to be made sure that you at least initially have the full set of default packages from the archive, which again, is the job of the update-manager. apt is just a delivery mechanism here, no matter how the release naming is handled

2 Likes

apt uninstall as an alias for apt remove : this just makes more sense to my mind since I think the opposite of install is uninstall

1 Like

I find this interesting, as the term dpkg uses is deinstall, not uninstall, but I can add both as aliases for remove.

And I think we’ll have an apt add too, but I need to give this more thought about how close that should be to apk. Like if apt add apt- should actually remove apt and put it on hold or something so it will not be installed automatically again.