Unity 7 Theme Ideas and Concepts

Android on tablet is a flash in the pan. After 90 days of that monotony , guarenteed it will get shelved or live with the dust bunnies. You can have it :slight_smile:

My slate is a 10" ‘2 in 1’ with Windows 10 32 bit, Intel Z8300. It boots up faster than my 64 bit i3 laptop with Linux (and 64bit Windows 10) and reacts faster. Because of the keyboard, I sometimes use it as a laptop (on the lap). That 32 bit system is real, not some toy as Android or iPad. My phone is Android, and I use it only to phone and send smses. Sometimes, I check the bus schedules, when I am not cycling. Btw, I fall into the category “more senior folk.”

Not diverging from the topic, the one thing that always bugged me was the status bar at the top.
It’s ugly. I still use Unity 7 because with a few tweaks it’s eye candy.

/org/compiz/profiles/unity/plugins/unityshell/panel-opacity to 0

Unity 7 is the most beautiful desktop in the Ubuntu land, but the top eye-candy desktop is Deepin in the Debian Testing/Sid land. Even Budgie is copying it.

Whatever happened to the plan to release a Unity Remix distro? 20.04LTS is on the horizon and I haven’t seen any discussion at all… :frowning:

2 Likes

People are talking about this here New 19.04 unity iso

Hey everyone!

I made some little updates on Yaru to better support Unity with PR https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/pull/1670 now in master (together with PR 1671), and I’d love if anybody can give it a try and report some feedback.

There are some problems, but I don’t think they can be fixed on Yaru side, as example some applications have a titlebar together with the headerbar (Nautilus, Gnome Software) and other don’t (settings). Since headerbars have a top light border, this is quite visible, but to avoid it I should make a build specifically for Unity, which is not possible at the moment.

EDIT: I just saw the problem with headerbar is discussed here

5 Likes

Hello, you can use materia-gtk-theme css file to solve Unity problem.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I just pushed a PR with this improvements

4 Likes

That’s looking amazing. Thank you for your hard work @c-lobrano

2 Likes

Testing the Yaru-Mate theme and inserting this line corrects the problem of decorating GNOME applications.

Download: https://github.com/Initu-Castilhos/Yaru-Unity

Quick question, only slightly related to this. Are HUD and run and app search windows themable in any way the same the panels are? The thick rounded borders are looking very dated indeed.

1 Like

Yes, they are :slight_smile:

Tried Unity at U+1 again, works better but system reboots after ever 1 minute and applications not working.

Hello! I posted this earlier to the Testing Unity Session thread but this seems to be a more appropriate place, so I will post it again.
This is a mock-up I made for how the Yaru theme can be implemented. I based it on what is already working in the basic Unity support of the official Yaru theme, but filled in the missing elements, like the title-bar; close, minimise, maximise buttons; and different drop-down menus.

The icons on the top bar are mostly from the unrealised Suru. Some, like the battery, network and keyboard layout icons, I think may be mixed in from the old Ubuntu Mono Dark set, but modified to be of only plain colour, without any shadows.

Folders and symbolic icons here are, of course, the great Yaru icons, but for the rest I propose to stick to the regular gnome icons, without replacing any 3rd application icons either. This is similar to how the icon set was in Unity, and I think it is better overall, than the current Yaru set, as the Gnome icons are quite nice and mix well with other shapes and colours. Additionally some Gnome icons may be combined with the Humanity or Yaru elements, like the sound file and the html link icons here (as they are somewhat lacking as well).

The Launcher here no longer has those squircles for a nicer flat look.

Nemo is pictured here as the main FM, because I think it suits Unity better, having proper menus and other expected functionality. It feels more like an improvement upon what the Nautilus was in 16.04. Besides, it is already being used to draw the desktop icons.

I also added a bit of restyling for the very nice program called Gnome Sushi here, just in case.

image1469-7

5 Likes

And the icon for the FM (unfinished): fm-ic1

1 Like

Nice! Have you seen the Yaru-Unity theme, posted by @c-lobrano above? I think that is a really well done implementation of the Yaru theme in unity7. It should be adopted as default theme IMHO.

2 Likes

Yes, it shapes out nicely, but this is what I think:
I would insist on making the window decoration colours the same as in Yaru at the moment i.e. grey, not brown. It will make it look more neutral and work with more wallpapers.
The window control buttons, as they currently are, don’t look so good, and after experimenting with them myself I find the circled look to be better. Here the spacing between the buttons is the same as in Ambience.
And the top bar, if left in solid colour, not transparent, it should be like this (also the current ubuntu colour):
maximised1
as it works better with the subtle gradient in the tool-bar.

Here’s a little mock-up for the window control buttons behaviour:
wndw-ctrl_anim1

2 Likes

Quite nice, I’d say!