Ubuntu Unity Remix 20.04

We now have an official Twitter Handle at https://twitter.com/ubuntu_unity/. Please follow us and vote for GDM3 or LightDM on Twitter by clicking on the link https://twitter.com/ubuntu_unity/status/1259003050229809152

1 Like

Lightdm forever :heart:

6 Likes

@ricard07 Iā€™ll include the package to fix it in the next weekly build.

Do you want Ambiance or Yaru? Quick voting for this weekendā€™s build. Please vote here: https://twitter.com/ubuntu_unity/status/1259155885445623809

@nio-wiklund Thanks for your great feedback. Glad that it works well for you. Do let me know if you find any issues whatsoever. :+1:

And I have customized Unity to use GDM3 , rather than LightDM . These are just some of the many differences.

Why would you do that?

3 Likes

A few tweaks needed to Yaru IMHO. I think minimize and maximize buttons would look better if they were they had grey round behind them and making the titlebar color a little bit darker in the name of matching the GTK theme. This will both look better and will bring the old feeling, again IMHO :slight_smile:

oh sir ā€¦ thanks for the hard work. Unity forever ā€¦ I have read some comments and I am a bit surprised that they want to switch from LightDM to GDM3 and from Ambiance to Yaru ā€¦ I think what we like most about Unity is that it is already a mature product ā€¦ Yaru For its part, it still has a way to go to be stable. I donā€™t know, my humble opinion.

1 Like

Yaru is a perfect match for unity. Iā€™m using it right now and itā€™s gorgeous. Yes it could still be improved to match unity better: indicator icons are not the best, windows buttons could be smaller, lines between titlebar and toolbars could be smoothened. But itā€™s already looking very good (better than radiance / ambiance imho). As for GDM I think this is really an effort to keep not too many things to mantain. But Iā€™m not a developer, so I donā€™t really knowā€¦

1 Like

Nice work, but I have found some problems when ubuntu-unity-desktop was installed on ubuntu version > 16.
Here is one difference. In ubuntu 16, the scrollbar is gray and small and auto-hide overlay, itā€™s very graceful. But in ubuntu greater than 16(like 18, 20), it came to orange and canā€™t auto-hide. Can you fix it? I tried a lot but failed.

1 Like

Your scrollbar in ubuntu 20.

@dukreyang

!6.04 has old overlay scrollbar which is not maintained. New version has gnome overlay scrollbar. It can not be fixed.

I just tried this remix in a VM and so far it looks really good. Have at least one friend sticking onto Ubuntu 16.04 because of Unity.

Would you consider compiling Firefox and Thunderbird with appmenu support? I know it has been done for Arch Linux and made available via the AUR. I use them for my Unity-like Plasma setup.

1 Like

I am an Ubuntu Unity user since version 14.04 and it is really exciting to hear from him again!
Ā”Thanks to make possible Ubuntu Unity Remix is a great desktop!
In a prosper future, i think they notification bar need an update, maybe like notification of Unity8.
And i have a little problem of configuration. At present with 18.04 Unity, using de launcher on ā€œBottom positionā€ in ā€œExpo/ appearanceā€ in configuration ā€œCompiz config settings managerā€ the valor for ā€œY Bottom Offsetā€ change every time when reboot the system.
Greetings from Costa Rica Central America

1 Like

@fernandomorea can you take a screenshot of Nautilus in Unity? I would like to see how it handles the CSD.

Thats great, but can you un-maximize it? You cant see the title bar this way! Thanks

2 Likes

Very impressive.

Would you like to give a short talk on your distro to my Linux group?

Am over on Twitter :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/BrianLinuxing

1 Like

@brianlinuxing Yeah, sure! :grinning: My school exams are on, and will finish next week. After that, Iā€™ll have time to prepare and will give a talk.

2 Likes

thanks for your works, I would like to have a suggestion: the file manager UI, and some other gnome apps seems off, since by default Unity includes a package called gtk3-nocsd that disable system-wide CSD, removing it would makes these apps overall UI to blend in beautifully with the desktop, other than that, great work!

This. I want to know too how it handle headerbar / csd on stock apps like gedit, calculator, system monitor, archive manager, document viewer, etc. Can you share the screenshot please @fernandomorea?

I have tried installing Unity on 18.04, 20.04, and always have a problem about visual consistency. That is why I still running 16.04 as itā€™s still supported