Ubuntu installation on computers with Intel(R) RST enabled

worked like a charm! @nitram-mural thank you!

Dell G7 7700

This saved me as well (Dell Optiplex 5090). I’m hoping this addition can make it into the official page soon.
Confirmed: the correct diskpart command is active (and it failed for me as well with the not-a-Fixed-MBR disk or similar)
Confirmed: if you screw up and change your bios back to RST, after a few reboots windows will revert and find its disk like nothing happened (this should definitely be in the notes)
Confirmed: without manually setting the safeboot, this process does not work for me

thank you!

Worked like a charm… I think the same “Safe Boot” can be enabled via msconfig. Also the second step in the main instructions storahci didn’t even exist for me. I only have an internal nvme. All in all, there were only 2 steps inside windows to get everything set to then safely change BIOS to AHCI. Cheers!

Thanks.
Does this mean there is no need to change registry values?

Folks,

Please remember that the purpose of this thread is to improve the documentation.

It was not really intended to be a support thread or a complaint thread or a I-found-a-bug thread or a thank-you thread.

Wherever you find your answer, please come back and make specific recommendations to improve the strings and images of the documentation to save other users the hassle you encountered.

1 Like

The main article really needs to be updated with the steps in this comment. Landed on this after struggling with the steps in the main article and landing on the blue screen. I had to set my BIOS back to RST and get windows booted properly. I then updated the registry as suggested in the main article and then used the steps in the comments to put it into safe mode - ensured that the change to AHCI was successful - and then booted back to normal mode. Thank you for this!

It fills my heart with joy knowing my little comment is helping so many people : )

Hello, I have finally succeeded to swich from RST to AHCI (after trying very long in vain). The documentation was missing crucial information for my special case: I had to disable Intel Optane Memory Acceleration before restarting into safe mode and switching from RST to AHCI in Bios. Before that, diskpart did not find any volumes and so I could not proceed from there.
The necessary steps are described here (scroll down to the last comment): https://askubuntu.com/questions/1433786/install-ubuntu-as-dual-boot-deactivating-intel-rst-leads-to-disk-drive-not-dete
Please include into the documentation, that Intel Optane Memory needs to be disabled in case the computer’s hard disk has it enabled.
Further remark to be added in the documentation: Bitlocker seems to need to be disabled before the BIOS-step (not relevant for my computer, though).

1 Like

… Or, you can use the Debian installer and face no such issue(s). Strange, isn’t it…:wink:

I could install ubuntu near windows. On Acer A515-54G you need to press Ctrl + S in BIOS to have option to enable/disable RST.

But now I need to change RST to AHCI every time I need to switch from Ubuntu to Windows and I need to change AHCI to RST every time I need to switch from Windows to Ubuntu…

What can I do to avoid it? I will be grateful for the answer.

Worked for me as well. Asus ROG.

Thank you very much! Your solution worked for me and made my headache go away. Much appreciated!