Ubuntu Frame OSK Documentation

Hi @viniciusoliveira,

Hi, that shouldn’t be necessary and I need a bit more information to work out what’s happening.

1. What operating system are you using?
  2. How are you running Ubuntu Frame and Ubuntu Frame OSK? From the command line? As daemons?

[edit]

This probably duplicates the discussion at

https://github.com/MirServer/ubuntu-frame/issues/77

1 Like

Is it possible to hide the keyboard if no input has focus?

That’s how it works.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Ubuntu Frame OSK not showing up

This doesn’t work for me. I’ve installed ubuntu-frame and ubuntu-frame osk on Ubuntu Core 22, and I’ve set the URL for wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk to my local AdGuard Home URL. I’ve logged in using the on-screen keyboard, but after logging in the OSK stays on top of the dashboard page although there’s no input widget anymore on that page. Even navigating to other pages doesn’t hide the OSK.

I’ve installed wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk, ubuntu-frame and ubuntu-frame-osk and set the url to https://www.google.co.uk/.

If I click on the search entry, the keyboard appears, if I click elsewhere it disappears.

I can’t know what your local website is doing, but I would guess it is indicating to the browser that it is expecting text input.

1 Like

Ok, then it’s a bug in AdGuard Home, I’ll investigate and report there. Thanks!

Hello,

Is there a hide keyboard option. This is needed as I am having keyboard focus issues where clicking outside the keyboard area does not hide the keyboard.

Thank you!

1 Like

@gips0131 no, that is not currently a feature of Squeekboard. So far as I see, it has not been raised as a feature request there, so it is unlikely to happen.

The keyboard appears when requested by the application (you don’t say which application you are using). That should only be when focus is on a text input field: If the application is not doing that, the problem is with the application.

1 Like

Hi @alan_g,

If I am understanding correctly, the keyboard should disappear when clicking outside of a text input field? If so, how can I correct the application to work with the keyboard?

Thank you!

That is a problem for the developer of the app or of the toolkit the app is built with

1 Like

Is it possible to set the behavior of osk when using it with wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk to float over the webpage instead of re-sizing it?

Hi @finelytuned — not at the moment, no. You’d have a problem reaching the bottom of the page in such a case (which could very well be where your input field is).

It would require WPE and the OSK communicate to agree that a) WPE can react to the OSK overlaying it and b) the OSK letting WPE know that’s happening, and its geometry.

We’d love that for the future, but until then we’ve gone for the safer option of resizing the app surface.

Ubuntu Core 22 with ubuntu-frame installed, after installing the ubuntu-frame-osk, the OSK is not working when having input boxes.
When checking the logs of ubuntu-frame-osk, I can see errors:

2023-05-22T08:07:58Z systemd[1]: Started Service for snap application ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon.
2023-05-22T08:07:58Z ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon[106482]: cat: /var/snap/ubuntu-frame-osk/265/osk-gtk-theme.txt: No such file or directory
2023-05-22T08:07:58Z systemd[1]: snap.ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
2023-05-22T08:07:58Z systemd[1]: snap.ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
2023-05-22T08:08:01Z systemd[1]: snap.ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
2023-05-22T08:08:01Z systemd[1]: Stopped Service for snap application ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon.
2023-05-22T08:08:01Z systemd[1]: Started Service for snap application ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon.
2023-05-22T08:08:02Z ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon[106551]: Setting input sources to [('xkb', 'us')]
2023-05-22T08:08:02Z ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon[106551]: Debug: Tried file "/root/snap/ubuntu-frame-osk/265/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards/us.yaml", but it's missing: No such file or directory (os error 2)
2023-05-22T08:08:02Z ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon[106551]: Info: Loaded layout Resource: us
2023-05-22T08:08:02Z ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon[106551]: Debug: Tried file "/root/snap/ubuntu-frame-osk/265/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards/us.yaml", but it's missing: No such file or directory (os error 2)
2023-05-22T08:08:02Z ubuntu-frame-osk.daemon[106551]: Info: Loaded layout Resource: us
2023-05-22T08:08:02Z -[106551]: Could not connect to session manager: Cannot autolaunch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY

2023-05-22T08:08:02Z -[106551]: Failed to init libfeedback: Cannot autolaunch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY

What is the actual issue here?

I noticed when the content_purpose is set to number, e.g. HTML: <input type="number">, a special number mode pops up in OSK to only allow number entry. This number mode doesn’t seem to support the decimal separator, and there is no way to switch to another keyboard.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Hi @hashbrown6099, sorry for the late reply. Reading e.g. the Mozilla docs on number input, you need to set step to the lowest increment you want to allow.

Regardless, it looks like the upstream number layout does not include the decimal point:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/squeekboard/-/blob/4c8dbf9fe682818f61494a269ba6a0d0a830ff4b/data/keyboards/number/us.yaml#L10-13

However, you can override that layout by placing a copy of it, with the changes you want, in $SNAP_USER_COMMON, and that will take precedence.

I’ll update the above post to include a guide on how to do it.

EDIT: Done:

1 Like

Hi @christof-ameye-osc, sorry - your message missed our radar.

What is your client application? The logs you provided look quite normal.

Hi. Is it possible to disable Emoji and terminal key layouts?
And when using us.yaml and when us_wide.yaml file?

@uaubuntu you can customize the layout to remove the “preferences” button.

The “wide” layouts are used depending on your screen size, there’s a relatively complex decision process, taking into account the keyboard width, screen scaling etc.

The last “Info: Loaded layout Path:” log tells which layout file was loaded, for example:

Info: Loaded layout Path: "/home/michal/snap/ubuntu-frame-osk/315/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards/us_wide.yaml"

Hi,

I’ve followed the installation for the osk and it seems that at startup the osk is opening automatically but without showing any keyboard layout. when you click on the screen that blank zone is disappear and the keyboard is showing correctly when enter an input field.
This is installed with ubuntu frame and wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk on a ubuntu server 22.04.3

Doesn’t anyone have the same behavior?

thanks for the help