Ubuntu Desktop on Raspberry Pi Feedback

Tried it again, but the issue still remains.

Moving the windows isn’t the concern, it’s the height of the window. I also tried to use Alt + F8 per this official documentation but was not able to resize the window (I was able to move it with the Alt + F7, but still the window was too tall)

As an update to the above. UI installed Ubuntu 20.10 on a WD Green 240 GB SSD again not overclocked and it booted OK and went through the setup process without issue.

However, when trying to setup my monitor I could not set the desktop up to match my display size, I’m using an LG 32-Inch TV, with many different combinations of overscan on or off and different left/right/top/bottom fractions both positive and negative. Eventually the system responded to overscan_left and overscan_right settings and filled the width of the display. But, no matter what setting I made for overscan_top or overscan_bottom I could not get the desktop to fill the display.

Same issues with the audio defaulting to headphones. With Bluetooth I again was able to detect devices and pair. However, I could not setup or connect even after installing Blueman.

did you consider just using the setup menu of the TV to turn off overscan there ?

Thanks for the suggestion but that was not an issue as when I booted the RPI from the previous SD card with Ub 20.10 installed the overscan top and bottom settings worked OK and the desktop filled the screen. It could just be something unusual with the specific SSD installation. I shall try it again and see what materialises.

1 Like

Hi, is there any plan to support H264 hardware decoding on ubuntu 20.10 for the rpi4 like there is on raspberry pi OS?

1 Like

I’d like to reiterate again the notion of having choices for different flavors. What do flavors need to do to make this happen?

6 Likes

Many of us are very interested in using and testing other flavours besides Ubuntu. As I saw no other way forward at the moment I installed Hippo Ubuntu server 21.04 on my Rasp Pi 4 8GB and continued on and installed Lubuntu desktop as a test.

On rebooting logged into the Lubuntu desktop and all went well as expected. Messed around a bit with my LAN shares and tested printing and LibreOffice writer plus several other apps.

I am also aware that the ISO Tracker web site has links to the Hirsute Ubuntu Desktop arm64+rasp images and see that the test cases are “under construction”.

My question is - Will Pi images be available soon for other flavors?

3 Likes

Thank you @maik-adamietz for pointing out the Bluetooth bug! PPA in bug #1901272 solved my issue to connect Bluetooth keyboard reliably.

As far as feature requests concerned, I would like to see the possibility to enable ssh on the SD card after writing image on it so that I could pair Bluetooth keyboard using ssh from remote laptop/phone without USB keyboard.

UPDATE: I found out that after initial install I can enable and use serial on GPIO for Bluetooth (re)pairing so this issue has become less important for me.

Wondering if using hardware acceleration for video decoding in Chromium is part of the plan?

UPDATE: I actually realised that changing resolution to 1280x720 minimises the drops on YouTube using h264ify to block 60fps.

UPDATE 2: Gameplay on Stadia using Chromium has excessive lag that makes it impossible to play. For comparison I experience perfect gameplay on Stadia using 720p Android (Lineage OS mod by Konstakang) choosing Mesa for graphics.

Snap install of Raspberry Pi Imager does not work so I had to build it from git repo manually. Would be great to have snap install fixed for this package please too.

this is indeed a very detailed description of the breakage :slight_smile:

(did it show any error messages, did it not start at all , what happened when you tried starting it from a terminal, were there any entries in your systemd journal ? also, what OS are you on (the full output of snap version usually helps))

2 Likes

I created a fresh install and reproduced the issue from terminal as per below:

jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ sudo apt update
[sudo] password for jordana: 
Hit:1 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports groovy InRelease
Hit:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports groovy-updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports groovy-backports InRelease
Hit:4 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports groovy-security InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up-to-date.
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ snap search rpi-imager
Name        Version  Publisher  Notes  Summary
rpi-imager  v1.4     popey      -      Raspberry Pi Imaging Utility
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ sudo snap install rpi-imager
rpi-imager v1.4 from Alan Pope (popey) installed
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ sudo rpi-imager 
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': Permission denied
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR points to non-existing path '/run/user/0/snap.rpi-imager', please create it with 0700 permissions.
No protocol specified
qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
Could not connect to any X display.
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ snap version
snap    2.47.1+20.10.1
snapd   2.47.1+20.10.1
series  16
ubuntu  20.10
kernel  5.8.0-1007-raspi
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ cat /etc/os-release 
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 20.10"
VERSION_ID="20.10"
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=groovy
UBUNTU_CODENAME=groovy
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ 

Not sure what to look for in systemd journal?

why did you use sudo ? is that recommended in any docs anywhere (if so, we need to fix this)

the snap is likely not designed to be run as root (in fact i think it is expected that you simply click the icon in your desktop launcher and the app will just do the right thing)

I just wanted to be clever the second time and give you as much information as possible from terminal. As a matter of fact I installed first from Ubuntu Software and launched from Applications all by simple clicking. The phenomena has not been really more then I have initially described because the Application closes shortly after I launch by clicking it.
I removed it with sudo snap and installed again from Ubuntu Software by clicking Install. This did not change the phenomena really from terminal:

jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ sudo snap remove rpi-imager
[sudo] password for jordana: 
rpi-imager removed
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ rpi-imager 
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
propsReply "An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=\"method_call\", sender=\":1.99\" (uid=1000 pid=6351 comm=\"rpi-imager \" label=\"snap.rpi-imager.rpi-imager (enforce)\") interface=\"org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties\" member=\"GetAll\" error name=\"(unset)\" requested_reply=\"0\" destination=\"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager\" (uid=0 pid=639 comm=\"/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon \" label=\"unconfined\")"
nmReply "An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=\"method_call\", sender=\":1.99\" (uid=1000 pid=6351 comm=\"rpi-imager \" label=\"snap.rpi-imager.rpi-imager (enforce)\") interface=\"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager\" member=\"GetDevices\" error name=\"(unset)\" requested_reply=\"0\" destination=\"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager\" (uid=0 pid=639 comm=\"/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon \" label=\"unconfined\")"
"Object path cannot be empty"
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SwapBehavior(DoubleBuffer), swapInterval 1, profile  QSurfaceFormat::OpenGLContextProfile(NoProfile)) 
Aborted (core dumped)
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$ sudo rpi-imager 
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': Permission denied
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR points to non-existing path '/run/user/0/snap.rpi-imager', please create it with 0700 permissions.
No protocol specified
qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
Could not connect to any X display.
jordana@dad-pi4g:~$

what is the graphics card in your desktop PC ? that looks like you are using some unsupported graphics driver or some such ?

as the title of this discourse topic suggests I am using a standard 4G Raspberry Pi 4 model B

hah, lol, sorry, i didnt expect you to actually run the rpi imager on a raspberry pi, i dont think it is designed for this (or has ever been tested in that context) given its purpose is to make it easier for people to write SD cards on a desktop PC to then be used on a pi … @popey should we perhaps remove the arm builds of rpi-imager from the snap store ?

before you remove please note that Raspberry Pi OS supports it and it is relatively easy to build it from the git repo - even such a lame user like me could do it :wink:

Although there are no testcase instructions as is I tested the latest build today (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/daily-preinstalled/20201125/hirsute-preinstalled-desktop-arm64+raspi.img.xz) on my Rasp Pi4, Cortex-A-72 64-bit SoC, 8GB.

All went very well indeed.
After performing the install and setting up Ubuntu I ran several apps and then connected to my LAN shares and opened a few files,copied and printed.

I am very interested to know if and when images for the other flavors will be available.

XRDP, Remote Desktop Protocol problems:
I was planning on using the Unbuntu 20.10 64 bit OS on RaspberryPi as a standalone self-training environment for LAMP, Laravel, and other software, but I didn’t want a attached monitor, keyboard or mouse. I have a desktop and laptops, and don’t want another screen, keyboard or mouse. I want to use the computers I have, and I want to connect to the Raspberry Pi using Remote Desktop Protocol and SSH.
After a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.10 with an attached monitor, keyboard and mouse, I went through the first boot setup configuring WiFI, locale, username and such, then I updated the software and rebooted. I then installed open-ssh and configured the firewall (use) to allow ssh connections. (I would have preferred a headless configuration, but Ubuntu Desktop 20.10 is designed to use a monitor and keyboard on first boot). Up to this point everything worked great.
I then installed xrdp and things didn’t work well.
If a Remote Desktop session is opened when a session using the monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged into the Raspberry Pi, the remote session screen acts as a second monitor. If the session plugged into the Raspberry Pi opens the Terminal App, the terminal window is opened on the Remote Session Screen. If the session plugged into the Raspberry Pi opens the Logs App, the window for that app opens on the Remote Session Screen. However if Firefox is opened, the browser window opens on the monitor attached to the Raspberry Pi.
If there is a monitor, keyboard and mouse attached to the Raspberry Pi, with no active session (the user has either never logged in or logged out), then the Remote Session worked well, after I added a profile to Polkit to permit the creation of a color profile.
The serious problem occurs when the monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to the Raspberry Pi is removed, and Remote Desktop is used for a graphical interface.
If there is no monitor attached to the Raspberry Pi, Remote Desktop works, but the logs are continually flooded with error messages reporting failure on finding a display (because no monitor is attached or needed if Remote Desktop is used) which greatly reduces the performance and usability of the Raspberry Pi.