Ubuntu as Rolling-Release

• No-change rebuild to build packages with zstd compression.

Thanks for the links ogra , everything in jammy seems to be swapping over too zstd at the moment.

I plan on going back to LTS as daily updates across lots of machines is a complete pain. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve realized that security updates are more important than having the latest version of software.

5 Likes

Suppose I donā€™t go with ā€œfrogjump rollingā€ (do-release-update -d every cycle), but I edit sources.list file and replace the release with devel. (And no Rhino, itā€™s not mature yet).

Iā€™d like to protect my main applications, and their main dependencies, from temporary problems (like right after major kernel upgrades). So, I choose a to run apt-get dist-upgrade only after all my main apps (and their main dependencies) have a newer version (or two) after the new major kernel version. This is optimistic and simplifying the problem, but itā€™s for a development desktop anyway.

Are there any tools to automate such buffering/delaying, please?

Hi. Installation: Vanilla Mantic, modified /etc/apt/sources.list to use devel. If I remember right, Iā€™ve run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade at the beginning of December (2023), and it run fine (pointing to Canadian archives).

Now I run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, but many updates (or servers or what) are not found: Err:71 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu devel/universe amd64 libswscale7 amd64 7:6.1-4ubuntu1 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.83 80].

And four lines like W: Conflicting distribution: http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu devel-security InRelease (expected devel-security but got noble).

Most of errors disappeared once I changed from Canadian to the US archives. It downloaded a lot. But sudo apt-get update still fails with ā€œConflicting distributionā€ as above.

Please advise.

Ubuntu core desktop and ubuntu core are rolling release

Snapdeck here

I dont have a developer

But now i not have steamOS in my computer

Only ubuntu without apt

I suppose Bug #1728616 ā€œusing 'devel' in sources.list causes apt-get updat...ā€ : Bugs : apt package : Ubuntu is still relevant(?)

2 Likes