Ubuntu 24.04 Boosts Gaming Performance

This was actually something I had discussed with @arighi. Whether or not this actually happened, I’m not sure.

Other than being a moderator here on the Ubuntu Discourse, the biggest hat that I wear in the Ubuntu community is that as the lead for Ubuntu Studio.

Anecdotally, when I was preparing for my workshop at Ubuntu Summit 2023 in Riga, the Liquorix kernel actually saved me as there was a bug in the kernel at the time that was resolved shortly after. Additionally, I noticed several performance improvements. This was with 23.10.

Now on to 24.04: one thing I’d like to mention is that on one of my laptops, the Liquorix kernel actually causes the entire audio subsystem (ALSA) to fail to function. This means no sound; nothing. It’s hard to be an audio producer when you’ve got no sound. :sweat_smile:

I had been considering, for those who needed it, recommending the Liquorix kernel. However, with the improvements to the kernel that we’ve been talking about this whole thread, and considering I have seen so many performance improvements myself in general, I see no reason to use the Liquorix kernel in Ubuntu 24.04 and higher. Full stop.

By the way, before anyone mentions it, yes, Ubuntu Studio uses the lowlatency kernel flavor. However, as posted by @arighi and mentioned to @luisalvarado earlier (Fine-Tuning the Ubuntu 24.04 Kernel for low latency, throughput, and power efficiency), the generic kernel can act just as well as the lowlatency kernel. So well, in fact, that in a future version of the kernel, the lowlatency kernel will be deprecated. For this reason, I have already taken steps to switch Ubuntu Studio to the generic kernel beginning with 24.10. More details on how that will work will be mentioned on the Ubuntu Studio website.

6 Likes

Just updated the channel with the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF7RfyYuCfE

The video talks about Ubuntu 24.04 performance versus Windows and the performance change between 23.10 and the current version.

It also touches some amazing performance jumps that I uploaded to https://gravitymark.tellusim.com/leaderboard/

Mainly that Ubuntu 24.04 is now the top 1st position for Single GPU tests, overcoming all Windows 10 or Windows 11 cases as seen here https://gravitymark.tellusim.com/leaderboard/?mode=one

And although the performance change between Ubuntu 23.04 and 23.10 was around 0.1%, the performance jump between 23.10 and 24.04 was above 10%, jumping from the score of 78,514 in Ubuntu 23.10 to 87,120 in 24.04 (Almost 11%).

I also mention the fact that we are now able to directly compare Windows game performance to Linux game performance since, between the kernel optimizations, distro optimizations, driver and proton enhancements, Linux is now more than capable of being used for benchmarking against games on Windows (in almost all cases, anticheat games still can be blocking Linux).

The same video will be divided in 3 parts tomorrow which are:

2024 Technology News (Part 1)

Ubuntu 24.04 Gaming Performance (Part 2)

Windows vs Linux (Part 3)

4 Likes

Ive also notice the increase in performance great work Ubuntu team

1 Like