Testing Unity Session in Eoan - Ubuntu 19.10

How did you downgrade g-s-d ? Remember you also need to downgrade gnome-settings-daemon-common as well as any other g-s-d packages you have installed.

I suppose I could setup a ppa. And yes gnome-terminal needs to be rebuild for libnautilus-3.26. But that has to wait.

Fully upgraded here, both repos & ppa (except for the moment u-u-d), see no issues
I see u-u-d has added some things like gdebi, geary & some gstreamer plugins…

Sorry, I forgot to downgrade gnome-settings-daemon-common. Everything is all right now.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Should those to g-s-d packages be locked for the moment?

@khurshid-alam

Unity lens music, photos and videos doesn’t work. All these lenses are installed. Actually, I had never used these from dash, always from the file manager.

No. You should update g-s-d packages when there is a update. Once I done with porting other schemas, unity will not depend on those packages.

Music requires Rhythmbox and rhythmbox-zeitgeist plugin which is just merged upstream.

Photos will only work with shotwell.

Videos hasn’t been working since 17.10. I will take a look later.

1 Like

Still don’t understand why xserver-xorg-input-synaptics isn’t a recommend of u-u-d as there are no touchpad settings without it.

Because it doesn’t work properly on many hardware and buggy. Once I port to libinput, it won’t be necessary. I already prepared a branch, just didn’t get time to finish.

1 Like

Anyone else seeing this with indicator-privacy ?

(indicator-privacy:5163): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 17:18:25.691: Settings schema ‘com.ubuntu.geoip’ is not installed
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

[ 17.431578] traps: indicator-priva[2171] trap int3 ip:7ff8d138f8f5 sp:7fff84576cd0 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6200.0[7ff8d1354000+83000]
[ 8894.228968] traps: indicator-priva[5163] trap int3 ip:7ff5648778f5 sp:7ffe4db34fe0 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6200.0[7ff56483c000+83000]

From python “main” code:

SCHEME_GEOCLUE = ‘com.ubuntu.geoip’
KEY_GEOCLUE_URL = ‘geoip-url’
self.item_geoclue_url = create_check_menu_item(
menu, _(‘Use Ubuntu GeoIP service’),
self.on_geoclue_url_toggled)

Am I missing a dependency or is the code looking in the wrong place for this schema maybe?

Thanks,
WolfLand

Ok looks like a app maintainer’s problem as geoclue has been removed from 19.10 as far as I can tell. It
has been replaced by geoclue-2.0 so I think he has some work to do. It looks like geocode and geoclue-ubuntu-geoip
were probably providing this functionality(my best guess anyway) and they no longer seem to exit in 19.10.

I guess I can always comment out the offending python code as see if the other functions work for the time being and see if that gets me past the problem or if I am peeling an onion(hack… hack… hack).

I will send a bug report to the maintainer.

Thanks,
WolfLand

Ok I verified that if the geoclue python/gtk code is commented out the indicator-privacy works
(for everything other than geoip that is).

I will send a bug report to the maintainer. I have a working deb without geoip if anyone cares.

Thanks again,
WolfLand

@khurshid-alam
See, if it is possible to drop Nautilus as a dependent from the ppa. Nautilus can be uninstalled after, but that would uninstall the meta package uubuntu-unity-desktop. The Unity install can live without the meta package, but autoremove would try to uninstall the following,

apturl apturl-common fprintd gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-gck-1
gir1.2-gcr-3 gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 gir1.2-gdm-1.0 gir1.2-geoclue-2.0
gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0 gir1.2-gweather-3.0
gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-nm-1.0 gir1.2-nma-1.0 gir1.2-rsvg-2.0
gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gjs libcue2 libfprint0 libgif7 libgjs0g
libgnome-autoar-0-0 libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libmozjs-60-0
libpam-fprintd libtagc0 libtracker-control-2.0-0 libtracker-miner-2.0-0
libxcb-res0 mutter-common switcheroo-control tracker tracker-extract
tracker-miner-fs xwayland

Some of them are needed, so can be manually installed. Maybe those that are needed, should be put in as dependencies in the ppa.

The other matter, can the newer Nemo 4.06 put in the ppa? Maybe David, @fossfreedom can help in that? Maybe, even better, if you can get Nemo 4.2.3.

2 Likes

Here’s what I mean,

Note: pretty dull looking with Yaru icons. Won’t be there too long. Maybe, some other icons to be installed/depends in the PPA?

Ambiance always works with ubuntu-mono-dark. Yaru does not have those panel icon.

Not possible at the moment.

I asked Victor, He said that he will maintain that version with all the patches for >=18.04. He is setting up a repo on github & a separate PPA meanwhile you download a older version from here. Note it doesn’t have the “interactive search” patch yet.

I didn’t mean the Yaru theme, but about Nemo 4.2.3 as the default.
I got rid of Nautilus any way.

That’s true. Icons and the theme are needed to be there and not trouble. By the way, it is interesting that the file manager of the person, who was against Unity from its inception is running the desktop!

Update: Since all the components for u-s-d schemas are now merged, I removed those from the PPA (except notify-osd and indicator-appmenu). So now you can just update those packages from repo.

1 Like

Was everyone here able to get Yaru to work with Unity? I heard that it’s supposed to be available via software update, but it’s not showing up in Unity Tweak Tool

I guess just use gnome-tweaks