Testing Unity Session in Eoan - Ubuntu 19.10

But they should be able to co-exist in the same installation, shouldn’t they?

I patched gnome-settings-daemon which removed few the gsettings key u-s-d required. U-s-d also needs to be rebuild against libgnome-desktop-dev. I will upload it to maintainers PPA. As for gnome session it needs to use --systemd switch to launch a session but unity doesn’t use that, it uses systemctl in bash script to launch it. May be @laney can help.

Let us know, when you update the PPA. I just upgraded again, but the login loop is still there.

It looks like I removed a systemd unit that Unity needs. Find gnome-session.service from a previous version of gnome-session and put it back on your system, then reboot and try again. It works for me then except there’s no background. Don’t know if that is a new problem or not.

We could put that file back if you don’t want/have time to convert Unity to a full new-style systemd session.

I just uploaded a gnome-session to eoan which brings that file back. Background worked this time so you might have a race condition, maybe this is the missing gnome-settings-daemon keys meaning that part of u-s-d is crashing or something. @khurshid-alam if possible it would be nicer to port to the new keys rather than us having to revert each change upstream makes.

Updated, upgraded few minutes ago. The login loop is still there.

You need to wait until you receive an upgrade to the new version of gnome-session-bin 3.33.90-2ubuntu2.

How quickly would this new version arrive?

The new session packages work around the login/systemd issue.
The new g-s-d packages cause u-s-d to crash, the causative plugins are the mouse and keyboard ones…

I have patched gsd which you can install from maintainers ppa.

Thanks!
I can login now. :slight_smile:

But, nothing here,

nothing at all.

Do you have unity-lens-application installed? You may need a reboot.

It wasn’t there, so installed it. And the dash works now. Thanks @khurshid-alam :grinning:
It worked before the upgrade, so did upgrading uninstalled that package?

It may have removed some or all of the lens packages, check in synaptic

You are right. All the lens packages were removed. Thanks, all of you! :grinning:

Just tried to install ubuntu-unity-desktop task with sudo apt-get install ubuntu-unity-desktop^ on 19.10 mini iso and have both GDM and LightDM installed.

GNOME Shell and Nautilus were also installed. Along with other 65 gnome-related packages.
So it seems that dependency resolution for ubuntu-unity-desktop task is not correct.

LightDM login screen show Speech Dispatcher user. It is bug 1841079:

Screenshot at 2019-08-30 19:50:06

Hmm… policykit-1-gnome is pulling gnome-shell. Budgie did this to prevent it moving it recommends and adding notification-daemon, though I forgot why ? @fossfreedom ?

1 Like

Correct. Due to the way alternates work, you have to give something like that to satisfy the package resolution.

Budgie doesnt actually use notification-daemon, it’s just something small and innocuouse to get around this issue.

Note: mate and kylin have similar issues and they are using xterm to resolve things.

1 Like

What is this “Speech dispatcher” in the login?

1 Like

So current state -
Fresh install today’s image (current live which is reasonably up to date
In an Ubuntu session Ctrl+Alt+t opens gnome-terminal

Adding ubuntu-unity-desktop, switching to lightdm, adding ppa, upgrading g-s-d and reboot, log into unity -
Ctrl+Alt+t does nothing
Actually most or none of the preset bindings (gnome ones??) work ex. PrtSc or Alt+PrtSc, ect.

Custom bindings do work, ex. setting command of gnome-terminal to Ctrl+Alt+g will open terminal or reassigning Ctrl+Alt+t also works
Unity bindings work, ex. super+a, ect.

Additionally installing ubuntu-unity-desktop does not install libzeitgeist or any of the previously default unity lens or scopes…