Testing Unity Session in Eoan - Ubuntu 19.10

@khurshid-alam

I have a simple app which uses GNotification. But with notify-osd it doesn’t show any icon in the notification bubble? Is it a bug ? It works with notification-daemon.

If you are using themed icon, notify-osd uses wrong gvariant for that. According to libnotify spec it’s image-path but notify-osd uses image_path. Please file a bug on launchpad.

@khurshid-alam

I have now published the code for indicator-datetime in launchpad as per your instruction. Plz check if everything is alright.

1 Like

@zippy.zebu

Notify-osd gicon fix is here. Meanwhile you can get it from maintainers ppa

Why is Eye of GNOME part of ubuntu-unity-desktop metapackage? We already have Shotwell, right?

Eog acts only as a viewer where shotwell is a photo manager. Beside that metapackage needs an update. I will try to land an update in the repo.

1 Like

@khurshid-alam

Are you maintaining nautilus-3.26 with unity specific patches for 18.04 ? Can I use also use it on later version ? Drag & drop between nemo-desktop & nautilus doesn’t work for me.

Also gnome-screenshot in 17.04 used to have selection & area menu on unity launcher, but not anymore. Can we have them back ? Also buttons are on headerbar which is ugly.

It was maintained by Dale. The only extra patches it carries are interactive search & menubar patch, the rest are the same. You can use it later version but you need to recompile all the extensions you use against that libnautilus version. I don’t plan to work on that.

As for screenshot, those actions are removed but since it is xorg now, may be we can have them back.

No news from Dale. No idea how he’s doing and his health. Anyone heard from him?

Seems opening a unity session is now broken, fresh image install updated.
Just get a login loop…
journalctl here
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/F9vZqchqND/
Represents booting to greeter > going to tty3 > starting journalctl -f >> j.log > returning to greeter > attempting to login > returning to tty3 and stopping journalctl

@khurshid-alam
I can confirm what @mc3man say. The last update gives a login loop.

The issue is caused from the new gnome-session source.
(- the unity-session files don’t appear to have changed …

@fossfreedom
You’ve found the problem and corrected it in Budgie Eoan. Can you do that for Unity one here too? Or, show the fix to @khurshid-alam?
Thanks!

There isn’t anything in that journalctl log that resembles budgie-desktop’s issue. So Unity’s issue is different
:frowning:

To clarify - for budgie, I found that gnome-settings-daemon has two components removed - “Clipboard” and “Mouse” - so I had to remove those from the list of gnome-settings-daemon components that are started as part of the session.

Could be somewhat similar…
If gnome-settings-daemon is upgraded without upgrading unity-setting-daemon nor the session packages then unity starts but unity-settings-daemon crashes
If they are upgraded you get a login loop, if all are upgraded also a login loop.

Looks like it’s the issue with gnome-session. And try to give log from /var/log/syslog.

Beside updating gnome-session-bin tries to uninstall unity session.

One time syslog with the gnome-session packages updated (but not the gnome-settings/unity-settings-daemon ones)

Haven’t had any issue with gnome-session-bin removing unity-session after getting things squared away
(- initially installed latest current image which is 300+ updates behind, then installed ubuntu-unity-desktop, ect.
At this point downgrading the relevant gnome-session packages allows a login, marking gnome-session-bin to upgrade also marks unity-session, ect to upgrade.

(- have noticed some odd behavior with apt, not related to this but odd…

What are those packages and how to downgrade them?

Might depend on what you have installed.
Here, after removing gnome-shell & ubuntu-session this is the list here for problem free, i.e no loop, no unity-settings-daemon crash

gnome-session-bin_3.32.0-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
gnome-session-common_3.32.0-1ubuntu1_all.deb
gnome-settings-daemon_3.32.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
gnome-settings-daemon-common_3.32.1-0ubuntu1_all.deb
gnome-startup-applications_3.32.0-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
unity-session_3.32.0-1ubuntu1_all.deb

sourced from

Basically downloaded them, placed in a folder, cd to folder &
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

• Always make sure dpkg runs without error before thinking of logging out and having a way to recover is good to have.
    (- I dual boot…