Testing Unity Session in Eoan - Ubuntu 19.10

Hi,
Thanks for letting us know.
Geoclue was being used on phone. It’s this bug, but geoclue2 doesn’t provide the same functionality, also we are thinking of dropping phone related code as there is no way perform functionality tests. So geoclue code will be removed when we drop that. For now, we remove the recommends. Both u-c-c & eds are aware of org.freedesktop.timdate1, so on desktop it doesn’t hamper functionality any way.

But what will happen to http://geoip.ubuntu.com/v1/geolocate & http://geoip.ubuntu.com/lookup, will they keep working ?

Has anyone tried using Conky on Unity? It won’t stop flickering when I use it.

What does the log say ? Flickr happens due mismatch decoration, also it has some buffer issue. Try own_window_hints below,sticky,undecorated,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,
draw_shades = false,
etc. And it only worked on intel (for me at-least).

No reference to it on /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Syslog, however, contains these:

gnome-session-binary[2233]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file conky.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary

BTW, it doesn’t happen if there’s another window below

@YamiYukiSenpai - Try : window type = override (instead of desktop) and see if it works for you.
I remember an issue like that one in the past.

Didn’t work

conky: desktop window (1800003) is subwindow of root window (13e)
conky: window type - override
conky: drawing to created window (0x7a00001)
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RENDER)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 (RenderCreatePicture)
  Serial number of failed request:  336
  Current serial number in output stream:  344

Well this could possibly suggest making an Ubuntu Unity flavor of Ubuntu since Ubuntu Touch is continuing it.

But, part of the Eoan Daily tests at iso.qa.ubuntu.com for additional/optional test for a live Unity session by not installing but live session with GNOME, installing Unity, log out, log in to Unity, and test it like a live session

@YamiYukiSenpai It is an of-topic here but obviously someting is not working in your conky code. I don’t think it unity related.

1 Like

@khurshid-alam

Hi, it seems I can’t send u a private message, sent a email instead.

I tested an old conky script on my Unity eoan, and it works. I cannot remember the last time I played with Conky, so can’t give any advice. But, I can send you a PM with that script, if you want it for testing. Btw, mine is an older laptop with Intel graphics. No idea how Ubuntu works with Nvidia graphics.

Btw, it is good to test any app, especially the old ones on Unity Eoan, for that way we’d know what works, what don’t. Any info, good or bad is a good info!

Do you people have XDG_SEAT or XDG_SESSION_ID set ? Try running env | grep XDG_

env | grep XDG_
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-unity:/etc/xdg
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=gnome-
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=unity
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/akoya
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity:Unity7:ubuntu
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
GNOME_SESSION_XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/unity:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop

Not those exact variables

$ env | grep -i xdg_
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-unity:/etc/xdg
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=unity
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/taliara69
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity:Unity7:ubuntu
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/unity:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop

Didn’t run this installation for nearly 2 weeks. Just upgraded it and rebooted. Everything works quite well. And, all the Compiz eye-candy too! Just a feedback @khurshid-alam

1 Like

Update: An update for unity-settings-daemon is compiling from proposed which fixes the airplane switch issue in the network-panel.

1 Like

Is there any update on GTK_MODULES not set as env variables? As a result few apps doesn’t have this global menu (like evolution).

Ah. I forgot about that. You are installing from netboot right ? Can you file a bug on launchpad ? Alternatively you can install libatk-adaptor to make it work.

Looking at the recent test rebuild, indicator-appmenu/keyboard/sound fail to build, could you have a look to those?

Hi,

indicator-appmenu: Already fixed in this merge which has a prerequisite branch.

indicator-keyboard: MR

indicator-sound: Along with vala 44 fix,It has gicon & other glib related regression, bugs in googletests & python-dbusmock. And several phone-related tests are failing too. Not sure how to fix those.

1 Like

Unity on Eoan is doing very well the latest upgrade. Open apps’ windows move quite smoothly, no flicker, no jumping etc. And, with the latest Nemo.

1 Like