Testing Unity Session in 19.04

Yes, it does. Thanks! :smile:

I’ll wait for the logout matter to get fixed with this (damn) systemd. Anyway, MS Windows also doesn’t have a logout option. :wink: This is not 90s, when we had one computer per home and few users, who waited for their turn to use it.

Excellent!
Nemo is one good thing that happened, when Nautilus running away dropping features.

Btw, beautiful Disco - Unity,

@chanath

Hmm, u-s-d still has the code but latest upower ignore all the settings. I thought this is only my laptop since it has poor battery but it seems a bug…so answer this questions…

1. Does it show a notify-osd when battery level reached critical ?

2. Try changing percentage-action, percentage-critical from dconf-editor (org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power)

3. Try both org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power use-time-for-policy false/True

If that doesn’t work then try changing upower conf.

Set critical battery action suspend (org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power critical-battery-action). Does it work ?

I have uploaded a new version of u-s-d in the PPA. It still wip.But now with this

1. This should work.

2,3) This should work too. And also suspend now works when battery is low.

For now avoid changing anything in upower.conf.

I have set UPower.conf to

PercentageLow=26
PercentageCritical=24

and through dconf editor sometime ago and it is still there. Notify-osd usually notified at 26%, then at 24%. There’s actually no setting option to change the critical battery level in u-c-c, which is terrible. This is available in XFCE, shown below, (available in my Openbox system)
xfce-power-manager

It would be nice to have something like this in Unity (and in the default Ubuntu, if the guys are looking). Some laptops don’t even have removable batteries these days.

If suspend works when battery is low, (or should it be when the battery is critical,) it’d be nice.

EDIT: the suspend didn’t work at battery low state. It went further down and the laptop went off at 20%.

Lately, I noticed that both Ubuntu default and Ubuntu Unity gets stuck suddenly with the cursor not moving, none of the keys reacting, with the only solution being to do a hard shut down. This doesn’t happen in the Openbox system and the Cinnamon-disco system derived from Linux Mint. Anyone else?

Can you try changing from dconf (time/percentage) ? It must be different from upower settings, for example set it low/critical to 32/30 %, then do you get notification for low battery with new u-s-d ?

U-c-c should now respect critical battery action from power settings.

Update

I have compiled new unity,libunity in proposed PPA against new vala. Please test installing unity, libunity, unity-scope-home & unity-lens-applications.

For me everything is working well, but better try in vm. This is for temporary testing only.

No, they are the same in both.

Can’t do this is a VM, for it is not the same as in bare metal. If this is temporary, how do I get back to former state, if something goes wrong?

Right now, I am using Cinnamon-disco last 6 hours, and the laptop didn’t get stuck not once. This happens only in Ubuntu and Ubuntu-Unity.

If something goes wrong, you can always downgrade. But I doubt anything goes wrong. I just need testing in different machine/driver. I can only test on max 7 machines.

About freeze, I can’t say…it doesn’t happen for me. Check kernel/graphics/system log.

Where is this kernel/graphics/system log?

OK, upgraded. Rebooted, everything seem to work, but where is this critical battery action in power settings?

Try gnome-system-log. But several xorg crash have been identified on launchpad.

In dconf. I have added a gui combobox in power-panel but that has to wait for 19.10.

I think this would be the problem, for Cinnamon-disco derived from Linux Mint doesn’t get that, neither Deepin or Openbox-disco. Most probably, it’d be corrected by the devs, I hope.

Excellent! :smile:

Thank you. It might be something specific from my system. On even longer (week+) sessions, I can see this issue coming and going - one day it will be there, the next one (without a logout) will be gone.

What could possibly make the screenlock freeze in a way that keyboard input is stored somewhere and replayed once switching back and forth from a tty? What this means in practice is that I type my password, see no effect on the password field, switch back and forth from a tty and I can see my password replayed into the password field. If I had pressed enter, before switching, it will also log in.

If open nautilus 3.31.9 with sudo -H nautilus can you copy paste files from other non root window ?

If this is a general query then yes, works ok here.

On the same lockscreen issue problem: sometimes I don’t see the lockscreen but a black screen with a cursor. Switching to tty and back fixes it and replays my password (if I had typed it on the black screen from before). It’s otherwise the same problem as stated before.

Is there anything I can do to debug this when it starts happening? I realise if you can’t reproduce, you can’t fix it.

Try running

1. unity-settings-daemon -r --debug. Wait until you see no more debug messages appearing.

2. Press enter few times. So that it can seperate the following log from above.

3. open gnome-system-log as well. Note the time.

4. Now try to reproduce the issue.

Paste the log from terminal and syslog on pastebin.

Syslog default view is system log. But also check xorg0 and auth.log if you find anything relevant after that specific time.

Also can you reproduce this with a fresh install ?

Also is this similar issue ?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/856530/

Or this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-screensaver/+bug/996770

Thank you, I will try this next time this happens :+1:

This is actually a fresh install of 18.10 from a couple of months ago (regular ubuntu, sudo apt autoremove --purge "*gnome*"; sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop), but I do move my home folder around from install to install as this is my work laptop.

Those issues feel similar, but the difference is that my system hasn’t seized up, only the lock screen has, as switching back from the tty brings it back to life (lockscreen becomes responsive and replays any input from before switching to TTY). There’s a mention to screen dimming, which makes sense as this only happens after the screen is turned off. I’m on regular intel graphics though (i7-7700HQ), nothing esoteric here. Not always do I get a black screen with a cursor, sometimes I do see the lock screen but cursor isn’t bliking on password field. I have another user account on Plasma that doesn’t have this issue.

Anyone experience a Snap application unpinning from the launcher? I tested this out with Plasma, & it doesn’t happen there.

Hello, I’ve been testing 19.04 unity session (unity is the only DE I’ve ever used).

Is the HUD supposed to work or not?

What’s the deal with the org.gnome.nautilus.desktop schema, is there a fix for that?

I upgraded from 18.10

@suroh

Hud is working no ? The issue is gnome apps doesn’t have menus anymore. Only gedit working.

For now use unity-tweak-tool from maintainers-ppa.