Testing unity-session in 18.04

That works, seems notify-osd is no longer on the image & not a recommend of unity.

The hope is that Andrei puts out bionic packages in his nemo3 ppa, I think he will.
Then on a personal level the appearing/disappearing xdg-folder quicklists entries bother me. If not solvable Iā€™ll have a personal ppa version but not likely to have a ā€˜competingā€™ ppa for nemo.
For the moment Iā€™ll keep it up, just added a few things
nemo-media-columns using pyPdf2
unity with slight changes, changelog

• Add back systray icon support
  • Set spread all windows, window group, to crtl+alt+z
    • single hand usage
  • Set notify-osd as recommend

nemo without #12 patch, switched default .desktop icon to user-home, renamed to File Manager english only I suspect

1 Like

Hi. Im testing ubuntu-unity-amd64.iso (http://people.ubuntu.com/~twocamels/archive/), all is fine, not crash, etc (only a minor issue con WPS office and the libpng12 dependency). But it is working on low graphics mode, not blur on dahs or lateral panel (transparency), the windows not move when you drag it (only a orange transparency), etc. I tried to descativate the low graphics mode on compiz setting but the option has gone. Is it normal? (maybe the developer desactivate the full blur for some reason)?! I have a intel core i3 4150 Captura de pantalla de 2018-02-08 16-10-19|690x374

Thanks from Mexico.

Low graphics means your graphics is not supported. The iso uses a broken mesa. Update your system and try again.

Edit: Thanks, I solved the issue, I just went to the appearance menu on configuration menu and activate the graphics effects.

Hi, actually I updated the system but nothing, the system is on low graphics mode yet :frowning: . What iso is the official?
Thanks

I have to go into the appearance settings and there is a setting under the second tab to enable the nice effects, on 16.04 I donā€™t have to do this, unsure why this version defaults to the low version.

Also why is the left dock a weird colour? It wasnā€™t like that in 16.04?

@dale-f-beaudoin Just wanted to check where is best to raise issues like the color of the dock above? Is this the right place? Canā€™t wait for this to be released :slight_smile: Going forward will GTK3 themes and icon sets e.g. Numix still work on this via unity-tweak-tool as this project/Ubuntu/themes/icons themselves evolveā€¦?

@davidboom

This is the place.

Check ā€œabout this computerā€ and if you see llvmpipe then your graphics is not supported as with 16.04.

Thanks - yeah thatā€™s right, llvmpipe is there, iā€™m running on a virtual machine.

Is it me, Ubuntu 18.04 or Nautilus 3.26.0?

I grabbed the latest ISO last night and did a new install into a freshly formatted ext4 partition. That all went perfectly (YES!). A small issue that still remains in my testing so far is that neither Nautilus nor any of the gsettings entries Iā€™ve tried will reduce the size of desktop icons. They are stuck at a minimum of 64x64px.

I made a new test icon as 32x32px .png and plugged it into the .desktop file. It enlarges it to 64x64.

We know that 18.04 will not support desktop icons and it appears that the desktop icon size feature has been pulled from Nautilus 3.26.0. A user can individually scale any desktop icon larger than 64x64px, but not smaller. And there is no unified place to size them all at once.

Q: Is the 64x64px size hard-coded or am I still looking in the wrong place?

This is minor of course. Since I checked in last time, Iā€™ve followed development and Iā€™m still very impressed!

Off topic praise: So much high quality work went into developing Unity over the years, Iā€™m really glad all that human investment is not going to waste. Unity had evolved so far that in my volunteer work, I was able to drop Ubuntu 14.04 on an inexperienced userā€™s hand-me-down donated desktop with no problem. I told her it was just a different version of what she had at home, set up her email, gave her a few pointers on LibreOffice Writer and she was good to go. Every week when Iā€™d check in on the team, Iā€™d ask her if she had any questions. Her reply, no, everything is working fine and why canā€™t everyone there have what she has! The Unity devs deserve far more than my praise can offer. Thanks to them and thanks Dale to you and your team.

You didnā€™t state explicity if you checked Nautilus itself, so in case you arenā€™t aware of this setting (screengrab). Did you try setting the zoom there?Screenshot-20180216140021-355x263

Thank you Stephan for your reply. That setting does change the size of the icons within Nautilus, but not the desktop. I should have been more explicit, and after all, I did ask if itā€™s me :sunglasses:.

Under Nautilus 3.14.3 (Ubuntu 16.04.3) in Preferences, there was a setting named ā€œIcon View Defaultsā€ and a list box named ā€œDefault Zoom Levelā€ with selections from 33% to 400%. That also controlled the desktop icons.

Your screenshot above is the current look for Nautilus 3.26.0 (Ubuntu 17.10 and 18.04). Somewhere along the Ubuntu 17.10 and Nautilus development path, it was even a slider, but at this point the range is 50% to 200% and it no longer changes the desktop icons.

Like I also said, this is minor, yet for those moving from some other O/S or distro, the cosmetics will be important. Kubuntu 17.10, for example, has a right-click-on-the-desktop popup menu where a user can select from ā€œTiny, Small, Small Medium, Medium, Large, Hugeā€.

Thanks again Stephan!
Regards,
Dennis

I should also have mentioned that Unity Tweak Tool (version 0.0.7) installs and works perfectly under 18.04 Unity Remix. The setting for desktop icon size never was there, however it seems like a good place for it in the future.

More data:
gsettings get org.gnome.nautilus.icon-view thumbnail-size ==>reports 64

Using the set version of the above command, I changed it to 32, and the get command now reports 32

Of course, the desktop icons remain unchanged. Thatā€™s why I think I must be looking in the wrong place.

Well I enabled desktop icons to see if that behaviour has changed. Nope, resizing the icons in Nautilus does the same for desktop icons - which makes sense as itā€™s managing the desktop.
Iā€™m not on Unity but vanilla gnome. So perhaps file a bug against Unity?

Update: Just another thought, are you sure you donā€™t have any other file mangler installed, which is managing the desktop? I think the boys were trying out several before deciding to go with Nautilus.

Good thought Stephen. They were trying both Caja and Nemo. The image Iā€™m using is:

ubuntu-unity-amd64.iso 03-Feb-2018 03:36 1.4G

I have not seen any remnants of either. Will look more tomorrow. I have plain vanilla Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 on some partition around here, will give that a try too.

Thanks again!

1 Like

How about checking the Unity iso?

1 Like

Hi @djyantz

That is the right cuurent one.

My apologies to all.

I had hurt my back 4 weeks ago so @khurshid-alam has been doing all the heavy lifting. It will be a little while till I can code but I will still put up current updated .isos from the flagship bionic-beaver with the unity-meta.

Regardsā€¦

2 Likes

Take your time Dale - Back injuries are troublesome, it can hurt just to move oneā€™s arm! Much like a broken rib(s). :persevere:

Is the behaviour Dennis has been experiencing in his Unity install with Nautilus not resizing desktop icons, a feature or a bug?

Sirs, this is not a big deal. It does not hamper operation, just a cosmetic thing looking forward.

Dale, my lower back issue is inoperable. For a surgeon to say that I thought was honest. This guy has a great sense of humor. He says, ā€œtake it easy, you donā€™t have a good leg to stand onā€!

I hope your back issues mend on their own. We appreciate everything you and the team are doing.

2 Likes

A friend at our local church is going to help me get a new chair.

thank you for your encouraging words.

1 Like