Testing unity-session in 18.04

He did. You mentioned Unity7, and that’s not in the pipeline. So, nothing Unity would be added/done to Gnome only thing. Just create your Unity theme and paste the folder to theme of your liking. Advaita to advaita and so on. I’ve pasting few Unity theme folders to few themes without Unity with success.

I don’t think so, judging by the second issue link posted above. I believe he misinterpreted what I meant as “please give us unity 7 ubuntu”.

1 Like

I know this is for 18.04 but as 18.10 isn’t that far away I post it anyway. I recently installed 18.10 and Unity in it. Yesterday there where updates for compiz and since then, the applications icons don’t show anymore in the Dash. I tried other icons like Adwaita, Humanity etc. too but the issue is still there.

I just installed 18.10 in a virtual machine, and then installed ubuntu-unity-desktop. I don’t see what you describe. I had to restart a couple of times the system, at first I was getting no window decorations and wrong icons, but after accepting some updates and restarting a couple of times I think everything looks Ok in Unity.

Why don’t we open a new thread “Testing unity-session in 18.10”?

3 Likes

Ok, thank you for your reply, I will look into it.

Found a better fix, cause with the other one I had issues with the launcher showing a second icon when the application was launched. You basically have to add ‘env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity’ after the ‘Exec=’ in every .desktop file, then the Libre Office just works like in 16.04 and the Libre Office menu button is gone too. You also have to do this with Java Apps like JDownloader after enabling Jayatana so the global menu gets loaded properly.

The line for Libre Office Writer looks like this then:

Exec=env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity libreoffice --writer %U

Don’t edit the .desktop entries in /usr/share/applications, first copy them to ./local/share/applications and edit those.

@khurshid-alam
Can we somehow ship modified .desktop files for Libre Office if someone is installing ubuntu-unity-desktop?

1 Like

THIS works. It’s amazing, really. Thank you!

Possible under unity-settings (from PPA). But I don’t want to do it. It should be fixed in LO.

Can you comment here ? https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=119328
Launchpad-bug: Bug #1589215 “'Unknown Application Name' menu item in Indicator ...” : Bugs : libreoffice package : Ubuntu

It seems LO is not detecting Unity (XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP) properly.

Btw, does it still shows app-menu when you open a file with writer ?

Yes I will comment there, thx for your reply.

Do you mean the Gnome Shell menu with the few options like ‘New’, ‘Help’ etc.? That is gone completely with setting XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP manually, it only shows the application name.

A patch has been submitted can someone test it who knows what to do?

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/60489/2

New Bug I discovered : I you add an online account , you don’t have the buttons to validate …

Thanks. That will work. Although the builds fails due to some other reasons. Just try compiling libreoffice in PPA with the patch.

Just to point out to people thinking “well I’ll just define XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP on my ~/.profile and be done with it”, don’t do this as you’ll break stuff, not least of which Unity Settings.

Yes sorry, forgot to mention that.

I only found the hard way and took me ages to diagnose why unity settings wasn’t working.

I tried the same and had the same problem. Sorry again.

Ah don’t be sorry, this was ages ago back when they changed it (was it in 17.10 maybe?)

Unity settings in 18.10

Finally installed Bionic on a physical laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T420) and installed the Unity Desktop. I found a couple of strange behaviors:

1. I cannot disable the touchpad. When I open the “Mouse and Touchpad” settings, there are only entries for the mouse. I can’t STAND the Touchpad as I’m ALWAYS accidentally touching it and making the cursor jump all over the screen. How can I disable it?
  2. I noticed the Bionic does not have an /etc/rc.local file. I created one to disable the bluetooth on start-up. Oddly enough, when I boot the computer I can see the bluetooth icon indicating it is disabled but as soon as Unity completes initialization, bluetooth is enabled again. How do I stop that??

Thanks in advance

1. Install the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package;
  2. You should try to remove the bluetooth manager from Startup Applications in Unity.