Testing unity-session in 18.04

@jaime-cruz

I am not sure what you mean, have been running unity on 18.04 since release, it is as fully functional and integrated as I can remember and a lot smoother and more stable than default genome shell . VB is not a way to test Unity or any 3d desktop for that matter , most graphic effects won’t work because VB only has very basic graphic driver.

Biggest issue seems to be Nautilus. On 16.04 there seems to be a running instance always in the background so right-clicking on the “Files” icon in the launcher gives you a choice of multiple folders you can launch directly. In 18.04, right-clicking on “Files” pretty much only allows you to launch it initially into your home directory. Once it has been launched, however, the icon in the launcher behaves the way it used to. Also, in 16.04, Ctrl+H only shows you the hidden files in the active nautilus window. In 18.04, it displays the hidden files in ALL of the open windows.

Well the behaviour of nautilus really doesn’t have anything to do with unity. It is a gnome project and I agree that it is getting more weird by each release (e.g new window and new tab appearing on opposite sides of the panel)

The second issue is also kind of annoying but you can partially make it more bearable with gsettings or dconf-editor : org>gnome>nautilus>preferences to turn off show hidden files. This way it won’t show hidden files by default. but still will show them if you have hidden files shown when you close nautilus the last time, it is still annoying but a bit better than default behaviour of showing hidden files all the time-- why are they hidden files if they are shown ALL THE TIME??

I am sure gnome devs consider these new annoyances “features”. So if you are fed up with nautilus you can try nemo

But there maybe some wrinkles. See the discussions in this thread https://community.ubuntu.com/t/new-ubuntu-unity-iso/2146/252

1 Like

Unity had some Nautilus patches as far as I know.

Whatever you might think good design is, you could try to be a bit more objective.

Most of the described issues don’t happen in gnome 3 in Ubuntu 18.04

Well they do, I have had gs session on same machine too until I deleted it just a week ago.

Reporting a bug with lightdm and/or unity. If you install the unity session in bionic in a vm with virt-manager, the guest auto-resize (spice-vdagent) doesn’t work if you use lightdm. It works if you use gdm3.

Yesterday Ubuntu installed an update when I rebooted and since then lightdm hangs for a minute and then I can see the login screen. If I press the key to switch monitors on my laptop the login appears faster, but still takes some time. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Seems to somehow fixed itself.

Worked fine from day 1 tbh, more so today.

18.10 status is a bit in the air though, good thing 18.04 is LTS.

Is there any workaround for LibreOffice showing “Unkown Application Name” in the menu? If you first start the launcher (libreoffice) and then launch for example Writer from there, it’s showing “LibreOffice” as it should.

Yes, this works for me.

1 Like

Thank you, yes this works.

I’ve noticed that both compiz and Xorg show a jump in memory usage after locking and unlocking the screen. On a fresh login, compiz RES memory usage is typically around 170 Mb and Xorg around 200 Mb (using top). After the first screen lock, memory usage increases to just under 400 Mb for both Xorg and compiz. Most of the memory increase seems to be shared between the two processes. Subsequent screen locks don’t further increase memory usage, nor does the memory usage of either process appear to increase further over time. Has anyone seen the same issue? On 16.04 the memory usage of Xorg and compiz never increased much beyond the initial login, even after having a session open for several weeks.

1 Like

I can’t say I do. Right now, compiz is using around 200MB, X 700MB since I turned on my laptop on monday. Locked, unlocked, suspended and resumed many times since.

Open Office snaps don’t show this problem for some reason.

Xorg memory increase indicates that it most likely is a graphic driver related bug. Compiz usually takes around 30MB without any scopes loaded. Better file a detailed bug on launchpad.

Just a demo with a modification on the Yaru theme for Unity.

2 Likes

To all,

Does “Alt+F” or “Alt+E” (The file and edit menu) work for gnome-terminal, libreeoffice, Rhythmbox in Unity? This is a basic usability bug which needs to be fixed.

For me they work in LibreOffice. In Rhythmbox, Alt+E will bring up the edit menu, but Alt+F does nothing. In gnome-terminal, neither work.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a discrete AMD graphics card as well as integrated intel graphics. After disabling the discrete graphics and running compiz with the intel graphics driver I get the same effect, which would suggest that it’s not a driver issue. Enabling/disabling various plugins in compizconfig settings manager also doesn’t have any effect, nor does switching to gdm as the login manager. Something related to the screen lock triggers an increase in shared memory between compiz and Xorg, but I just can’t figure out what I may have changed in my configuration that would trigger it (considering that others don’t see the same effect). Happy to file a bug report, but I’m not sure whether unity/compiz are still actively maintained other than packaging.

That’s looking excellent. Are these real screenshots, did you make a unity shell variant for yaru?