Testing flickerfree boot

I’m going to have a look. Do you understand what is changing in the grub config there by triggering an update?

Right, also we should keep in mind at this point that it hasn’t been decided yet to switch the default to the new theme.

The boot is only going to be really flickerfree for a small part of the users so we need to decide on what we think looks the best when the experience isn’t right, the new theme or the old one?

2 Likes

I’m going to have a look. Do you understand what is changing in the grub config there by triggering an update?

No idea, sorry.

This is a good point, I’d say I will favor the experience over the style

@vanvugt ah, guess mine takes a bit longer because my test machine is on the slower end. Will this work on a AMD hardware, I do have faster HP laptop with AMD hardware with an SSD.

@seb128 just installed Ubuntu daily build on my HP laptop which runs AMD video card, and tried out flickerfree boot and it worked. If you need more info let me know.

I’m curious about how people feel, so here’s a non-binding poll…

• I have tried flickerfree boot and would like it to be default in 19.10.
  • I have tried flickerfree boot and would not like it to be default in 19.10.
  • I have not tried flickerfree boot and would like it to be default in 19.10.
  • I have not tried flickerfree boot and would not like it to be default in 19.10.

0 voters

2 Likes

If it’s just a black screen with a small Ubuntu logo at the bottom, we could only talk about taking our yaru spinner instead of that generic one

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f315a6d

Now tracking all flickerfree boot bugs using this tag:

@vanvugt @seb128 this is the ubuntu yaru spinner, could you insert this in the new boot screen?

https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/blob/9446b739f0276ca088633386c7533d2e0b371fdf/gnome-shell/src/yaru-indicator.svg

I can’t propose changes any more than anyone else. :slight_smile:

Though if it was up to me then I would get rid of the spinner completely. I think it’s pointless as mentioned above in Testing flickerfree boot - #19 by vanvugt.

2 Likes

Alright, just in case you go with a spinner it would be good to take the one the desktop also uses :slight_smile:
“By the way”, yet very offtopic: do you know where gnome-shell sucks up the spinner? I edited the SVG we have in our gnome shell theme (which uses the files from upstream), yet it is still the spinner from upstream. Talking about gnome shell, not gtk/icon/cursor, which is perfectly theme-able :slight_smile:

Is this suppose to only work on GNOME? I installed Kubuntu daily build of 19.10 and it does seem to work on that.

gnome-shell isn’t aware of any “spinner” at all, AFAIK. It sounds like you’re thinking of the login screen.

When the spinner ends, that’s just the end of the plymouthd process, and the start of the gnome-shell process displaying the login screen. They just happened to look related when both used purple backgrounds.

((( Sorry for the confusion and offtopic, I meant this process working indicator in the gnome shell panel app menu https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/merge_requests/636 )))

@vanvugt, I would say add it in 19.10. So if there are some minor issues they can be found and fixed for 20.04. :smiley:

I agree, and I also expect we will find more related bugs. If you do then please add tag flickerfreeboot to your bug report.

2 Likes

Okay, got it I will add that to my bug report.

I installed according to vanvugt’s instruction on the 19.10 daily from 02/08 with this config

p-i@pi-MS-7A34
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.2.0-8-generic
Uptime: 12h 40m
Packages: 1651
Shell: bash 5.0.3
Resolution: 2560x1440
DE: GNOME
WM: GNOME Shell
WM Theme: Adwaita
GTK Theme: Yaru [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: Yaru
Font: Ubuntu 11
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 16x 3.75GHz [35.0°C]
GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.32.0, 5.2.0-8-generic, LLVM 8.0.1)
RAM: 3888MiB / 16049MiB

Got the grub menu with black background and the purple screen with the Ubuntu dots.
After sudo update-grub, got the MSI logo with the spinner.

There is no flicker, but the screen with grub is brighter compared to the screen with plymouth.

I guess that for a perfect flicker-free experience Grub should be hidden anyway. Just Google for the Grub customizer app (once featured on OMG Ubuntu). That is a rather convenient way to edit the Grub files.

You can access Grub by pressing Shift or ESC when booting even if it was hidden.

In my opinion Ubuntu should set all screens Grub, Plymouth, GDM…) to a uniform black to have a seamless and professional boot experience.

4 Likes