Suggestion: Use MATE applications in the eventual Unity 7 flavor of Ubuntu 18.04

OK . thanks @biohazara.

Gnome are currently getting rid of all the code in nautilus to draw the desktop, and are recommending Nemo as a replacement as the desktop code is actually being maintained.

See discussion here https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/158

I think it would be more consistent, if Ubuntu Unity were to switch to MATE apps, to use Caja…

3 Likes

I’ve been using Unity as my primary DE on Ubuntu 17.10 (and testing Unity on 18.04), and Nautilus (with CSD) just feels wrong. So, provided Caja would work properly, I hope that Ubuntu Unity 18.04 will ship with Caja instead of Nautilus.

Is shipping with Caja still being considered?

1 Like

No. Not at the moment. Now Unity session pulls gtk3-nocsd. So no csd in unity session. You should try latest ubuntu-unity-amd64 iso

1 Like

Thanks much! Yep, I tested the Ubuntu Unity ISO a few months ago. I’ll try installing from it again soon.

Right now, I’m testing vanilla Ubuntu 18.04, but with Unity (and gtk3-nocsd) installed from Universe. Nautilus with gtk3-nocsd works okay, but looks a bit ugly. Even so, I suppose that, ugly or not, as others have suggested, it may be better to stick with Nautilus and other GNOME apps, which would keep consistency with previous releases.