Suggestion: Use MATE applications in the eventual Unity 7 flavor of Ubuntu 18.04

I installed it manually when i did a build from the mini.iso and Khurshid orginally wanted it removed but left it in ( I assume) in the Meta pkg.

@Wimpress

This thread is more roadmap/development. Can we centralize some of these threads into a ubuntu-unity development sub-forum as you suggested ?

Regards…

This is the remix: http://people.ubuntu.com/~twocamels/

Are you using this one?

@Wimpress

Yes… you are right - notify-osd is not in the .ISO

How to create that defaults.list?

Did not create:

1 Like

type missing (s)

Should be:
Create /usr/share/applications/caja-unity.desktop

This is just awesome. It is a no brainer replacement for nautilus. This, definitely part of the development scheme.

Regards…

Awesome, we just found solution to gnome-user-share problem.

Planning went far enough to land in the iso now :slight_smile:

@all

I’ll be doing an ISO build with caja and mate software as includes later today or tommorrow. Anything else I should put in there for experimental?

1 Like

@Wimpress, @dale-f-beaudoin

It’d be quite interesting to have Unity 7 working with Mate apps. Caja, Pluma, Atril, Engrampa etc and add Synaptic, Unity-Tweak-Tool, VLC. Software Boutique for those, who like Software shops, get rid of Rhythmbox. Make Gdebi as the software installer as in Mate.

2 Likes

You have to check if right clicking would open background wallpapers, to make it fully working. And, get rid of any connection of any apps/actions to Nautilus. Check with @Wimpress on this.

In artful and bionic exists new package tortoisehg-caja for integration TortoiseHG with Caja. No special actions needed here, I think.

They don’t work. Right clicking doesn’t open the terminal and Caja s root.

It may be caused by well-known bug 1713311 (see @Wimpress 's comment 17 on it)
and/or bug 1713313 (see my comment 33 on it).

I have installed Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS from mini.iso on KVM.
I added MATE desktop here (on x11 of course), recently installed caja-admin package.
It normally opens Caja as Administrator (window title is Desktop (as superuser), I’m able to create and delete new file in /, Open in Terminal opens with root@hostname# prompt ).

@Wimpress

Yes.

No. UCC doesn’t expose anything nautilus related. But let me recheck.

Ubuntu has patched nautilus with quicklist integration which shows bookmarks and common actions when you right click on the launcher. It also shows progress when during copying files. For bookmarks , I think, we can use static quicklist instead of dynamic which involves only modifying caja.desktop. For progessbar a patch is needed. But the problem is Canonical deleted all unity api references and atm only doc packages are available…I am trying to move all api docs to read-the-docs or something similar.

With nautilus we have nautilus-action to add custom context-menu items. Is there anything similar for caja ?

1 Like

@Wimpress

Just one question. Public folder in nautilus shows an infobar button as ‘preferences’ which launches gnome-user-share-properties. But the code is in gnome-user-share and whole thing works as a nautilus-extension. So if we want to stay with nautilus and what can be done for this?

a) We patch mate-user-share to use nautilus instead of caja (only extension part) and carry that as distro patch.
b) We fork mate-user-share
c) We fork gnome-user-share

What do you think ?

For me would like unity 8 application maybe help ubport https://ubports.com
I see ubuntu file manger and ubuntu music app

There is caja-action but upstream nautilus-action had a name change and now supports multiple file managers including Caja. Ideally that needs packaging then we can all use one project.

I’ll have to have an investigate. Gut feeling it a distro patch for mate-user-share to support Nautilus.

Sorry, typo is my notes it should be Create /usr/share/applications/caja-unity.desktop. I’ve updated the notes above too.