Similar items (based on severity / color codes, or titles) can be automatically grouped by the Notification center and then acted on in their ‘stack’ as a mini ‘batch’.
- The most recent notification is shown on top
- A visual indicator is present to show that a stack is underneath
- A text label shows the number of items in the stack
- The context menu and dismiss control both function on the stack as a batch
- Clicking on the notification stack expands the notifications into their separate items, sorted by recency
Similar notifications are stacked, and the stack expands when clicked. While stacked its possible to perform some batch actions on the stack.
Notifications stacking logic could be handled by the app itself, or by a centralised notification service. Factors like recency, title, severity could be weighted and a significant similarity between two or more notifications would be enough to ‘stack’ them together.