Snaps to develop a Web kiosk on Ubuntu Core (using Wayland)

Hi @alan_g and @greyback

I have cloned chromium-mir-kiosk to my own repo. https://github.com/zhex900/mir-kiosk-chromium

I managed to build a new snap. It works. But I have one problem. The keyboard and mouse does not work! I can see the cursor. But I cannot click anything. The interesting thing when the page first loads I can only click once.

I have a touch screen, all the touch function works.

Your original snap chromium-mir-kiosk mouse and keyboard works. Are you able to help me?

Another question, why was chromium-mir-kiosk abandoned? @alan_g mentioned technical issues. What was it? It works fine for me on Intel NUC.

No, the issues are logistic.

Browsers are expensive to package, not only are the codebases large which takes time to build, they are subject to frequent security advisories and releases. The PPA from which the snap was built is no longer maintained and, as you see, problems crop up.

There was, and is no value to my team to justify continuing this experiment when Glancr support wpe-webkit-mir-kiosk which does a better job.

Hi @alan_g

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea why my chromium snap does not work with mouse and keyboard. Where @greyback’s original version works fine.

Any suggestions?

Jake

chromium-mir-kiosk is a dead end, we can’t help you with it.