Snaps requiring paypal payment to unlock

Yeah I’m sure the Ubuntu marketing folks appreciate your sentiment. Now in terms of widespread adoption - People had better listen or it won’t be adopted wide-scale like Ubuntu wants.

Ubuntu marketing folks probably won’t appreciate my sentiment. I am cheating with flatpaks too :slightly_smiling_face:
1 of the selling points of Snap store is the potential installation of any kind of software. Even software by 3rd parties, you know without installing 3rd party ppas.
Having an option to filter snap store to verified and not verified may be a good idea, lobotomizing Snap store to only verified and remove 3rd party snaps is not.
It’s a bad idea because there is only 1 snap repository, no way to have 3rd party snap repositories.

From what I understand there is a way for 3rd party snap repo’s - Aren’t they called “Branded” stores?

Anyway, PPA’s I don’t think were ever widespread amongst the larger Ubuntu ecosystem. Sure, nerds/geeks used them but not the larger installed base.
It seems to me,Ubuntu wants to offset much of the development work to upstream developers, as they seem to have reduced there workforce in the desktop division. Isn’t that what all this “Community Outreach” is about and why Snaps are here? I think so, reading the tea leaves. :man_shrugging:

I think Branded stores are overrides so that each distro could use its own store.
Each distro is not forced to use Canonical’s store, they can use their own.
But you can’t have 2 stores/repositories at the same time.
Think about Snap store is something like AUR.
AUR is something that always tempted me to switch to Arch or Manjaro.
Most people just want to install their software, they are missing good software because installing ppas and all this is so unfriendly and hard for non tech saavy people.
AUR is magic, it has every software you could dream of on it :slight_smile:
And there was malware found on AUR recently but rightfully everybody still loves AUR.

1 Like

Couple of years back Linux Mint distribution had malware uploaded due to poor website security. That was pretty egregious in my opinion. I’ll stick to Debian/Ubuntu and official repos for the foreseeable future. At least until the snap packaging distribution becomes a little more mature.