Snaps requiring paypal payment to unlock

I’m a fan of micro-payments and support several folks on Patreon. Great idea, why don’t you start the topic? Seems you’re already active over there, whereas (I’m not & probably never will be).

1 Like

I’d prefer someone who really badly wants this feature to start a topic, though I can be the middleman if people prefer, it’s just more strange…

I hear you - I don’t feel strong about it, as I don’t plan on installing snaps.

That’s one of the reasons I am not using snaps. I wrote that much earlier (#4). I’d pay, if the app is not locked beforehand, and if I need the app.

2 Likes

There’s a 3rd category, snaps that pay for themselves, ex.

2 Likes

Interesting story here, https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/ubuntu-snap-malware
Good that I am not using snaps.

Hah, yeah that was in my news-feed this morning. Nature of the beast, I suppose. Hopefully Canonical will build some infrastructure for auto scanning of uploads at some point?

1 Like

elementary OS with 100s of native app with this concept made $5 in a month, is that amount is sufficient to even buy a beer for each developers who did put their time and hard work to bring those applications specifically for elementary OS ? Denial Fore (founder of eOS) tweeted these metrics saying people are not paying. so you cannot develop an app ecosystem if your developers are not making enough for their work. there is no successful distro with shining apps which is so popular with tons of free apps.
thanks

1 Like

snap is a packaging format like other which helps to install files in place in your OS, the same app(earning through mining) can be installed on your system using flatpak, deb, rpm, exe, dmg, appimage etc and you cannot do a damn thing about it. thanks :slight_smile:

there are more than 50 tests a snap packaged app have to pass before getting published into the store, and no ine can make a single automatic test to check what the app binary will be doing at runtime. That will need manual human review which is not possible if there are thousands of apps being pushed to store and thousand of them being getting updates by developers.

2 Likes

It had better be possible or I’ll never use snaps!

same applies to flatpak and appimage.

Maybe, maybe not. Are you sure you know the security precautions taken to prevent malware by these other application packages? Anyway I’m very particular as to what I’ll install and official traditional repositories seem far more secure - at least at this point in time.

i can open alaunchpad repository with an app with malware in it, and thousand of people will install that app without knowing what am doing in background. how you will know if the repo is providing you a good piece of software ? same applies to all close source apps. even an open source app can do harm users, coz no one go through the whole code of app compile it and then using it. i develop lot of apps but i never did any harm to anyone with their data or anything even some of my apps are close source. so there is no way to find or check what an app could be doing to your system. antivirus softwares can only rescue this in some cases.

so apps running in sandbox environment with given certain permission can only be considered safe. snap,flatpak packages are sandboxed and runs in isolated environment with few permissions are better and safe than debs, rpms or random appimages you install from a repository or some random websites.

You’re missing the point - Official Distro repos are managed, and the software on Debian —> Ubuntu repos has been looked at by at least two distro maintainers (some cases the Ubuntu/Debian maintainer is the same person).

There have been snaps that have been uploaded by individuals other than the official maintainer or developer - I don’t like that, nor will I trust those , unless those folks are verified.

1 Like

yes, am not talking about debian or ubuntu repos. :slight_smile:

Well you are on a Ubuntu community page …

1 Like

i mean Ubuntu and Debian repos are safe :slight_smile:

Then install snaps uploaded by the official developer or by canonical.
There are too many of them. Or don’t…