Snap Store vs IoT App Store

IoT App Stores are private application repositories hosted and managed by Canonical. Access to IoT App Stores is restricted to the repository owner’s team, customers, users and business partners. In contrast, the Snap Store is global and public to all. Here is a list demonstrating some of the key differences in features between the Snap Store and the IoT App Store.

Snap Store IoT App Store
Access Public Restricted
Snaps published Seen globally Seen only by users of the IoT App Store
Content Curated by Canonical Curated by owner
Hosting Hosted and managed by Canonical Hosted and managed by Canonical
Security Security monitoring by Canonical Security monitoring by Canonical
OTA (over-the-air updates)
Refresh control
Account delegation
Proxy to connect with restricted network access
Custom dashboard and API access
Substores
2 Likes

Is it fair to say that what used to be called the Public Store or Global Store is now called the “Snap Store”, and what used to be called the Brand Store is now called the “IoT App Store”? Because there are still references to the old names in the docs that should be updated. Unless my understanding is incorrect.

r.e. snap store: Snap Store is the name - I sometimes use ‘global’ or ‘public’ to describe the Snap Store, but only as adjectives and not as official names.

r.e. brand store: There have been various names used through the years. For public documentation, we will be primarily using the ‘dedicated Snap Store’ name. ‘IoT App Store’ is familiar and still sometimes used, and I haven’t done a complete name change across all docs yet (but intend to). ‘Brand store’ is only used internally.

1 Like

This is good to know, thanks. I’ll make sure the docs use dedicated Snap Store - there are still lots of references to a Brand Store.