Release of ppa-dev-tools 0.4.0

ppa-dev-tools is a Launchpad API client that lets you create and manage Personal Package Archives (PPAs) from the command-line. E.g.:

$ ppa create *my-ppa*
  $ dput *.changes *my-ppa*
  $ ppa wait *my-ppa*
  $ ppa tests *my-ppa*
  $ ppa destroy *my-ppa*

The main new feature for the 0.4 release is the --show-rdepends argument for the ppa tests command. Reverse dependencies, build dependencies, and installation dependencies can be identified for a given source package using cached APT information. This list of packages will be used to generate lists of autopkgtest triggers, which when run should help identify issues that could get flagged in Britney2 runs. While similar to functionality provided by Bileto+Britney2, it is a lighterweight facsimile which doesn't handle special cases so should not be considered an equivalent, just as a preliminary screen to catch basic issues.

For now, users will need to create and maintain this cache by hand (automatic caching is planned for 0.5). See the README for a suggested rsync command to do this.

In addition, The `ppa set` command now supports a number of new command line options. `--ppa-dependencies` allows you to specify that your PPA can use the contents of one or more other PPAs to satisfy build dependencies. The `--architectures` option now has some related options `--all-architectures` and `--default-architectures` for "Give me everything" and "Just the usual", respectively. The `--enable` and `--disable` arguments control whether packages can be uploaded to the PPA to build.

All of the options supported by `ppa set` can also be specified to `ppa create` to allow specifying them at creation time.

Beyond these two features, notable bugfixes address problems with Ubuntu release specification, improvements to the `ppa tests` output, and various idiosyncrasies with command line arguments.

A lightning talk is planned for Monday of the Ubuntu Engineering Sprint in Prague to introduce the rdepends testing feature.

A mailing list is available now for ppa-dev-tools users. You can join here:

DEB Installation

A PPA with .deb packages are available for Ubuntu.

$ sudo add-apt-repository -yus ppa:bryce/ppa-dev-tools
  $ sudo apt-get install ppa-dev-tools
  $ ppa --version
  ppa 0.4.0

PIP Installation

Alternatively, the package and its dependencies can be satisfied via PIP for a user installation:

$ pip install .
  $ ppa --version
  ppa 0.4.0

SNAP Installation

$ sudo snap install ppa-dev-tools
  $ ppa --version
  ppa 0.4.0

SOURCE Installation

The git repository is on Launchpad. See INSTALL.md for pre-requisites, and README.md for usage directions.

$ git clone https://git.launchpad.net/ppa-dev-tools
  $ cd ppa-dev-tools
  $ sudo python3 ./setup.py install
  $ ppa --version
  ppa 0.4.0