MicroK8s is a Kubernetes® cluster delivered as a single snap package - it can be installed on any Linux distribution which supports [snaps][https://snapcraft.io/docs], as well as MacOS and Windows 10. MicroK8s is small and simple to install and is a great way to stand up a cluster quickly for development and testing. Try it on your laptop!
snap install microk8s --classic --channel=1.18/stable
MicroK8s 1.18 - 26 March 2020
Most important updates since the last release:
- Installers for MacOS and Windows
- Kubeflow 1.0 addon
- Added new snap interface enabling other snaps to detect MicroK8s’ presence.
- CoreDNS addon upgraded to v1.6.6, thank you @balchua
- New Helm 3 addon, available with
microk8s helm3, thanks @qs
- Ingress RBAC rule to create configmaps, thank you @nonylene
microk8s kubectlto use plugins such as krew. Thank you @balchua
microk8s resetwill attempt to disable add-ons. Thank you @balchua
- etcd upgraded to 3.4 by @lazzarello (for ARM64 only)
- Juju has been upgraded to 2.7.3 and is now packaged with the snap
- On ZFS, the native snapshotter will be used. Thank you @sevangelatos
microk8s statusoutput. Thank you @balchua
- Hostpath can now list events when RBAC is enabled. Thank you @Richard87
- Certificates are set to have a lifespan of 365 days
- Linkerd updated to v2.7.0. Thank you @balchua
- knative updated to v0.13.0.
- Fix in fetching more stats from cAdvisor. Courtesy of @nonylene
- Fix enabling add-ons via the rest API. Thank you @giorgos-apo
- Fix metallb privilege escalation on Xenial. Thank you @davecahill
MicroK8s 1.17 - 11 December 2019
Most important updates since the last release:
- New addon: kubeflow. Give it a try with
microk8s enable kubeflow.
- MetalLB Loadbalancer addon, try it with
microk8s enable metallb. Thank you @dangtrinhnt for your efforts here.
- Separate front proxy CA, courtesy of @giner
- Linkerd updated to v2.6.0, thank you @balchua
- Jaeger operator updated to v1.14.0
- Updating prometheus operator (latest). Thanks @rlankfo
- Istio upgraded to v1.3.4. Thank you @nobusugi246
- Helm upgraded to 2.16.0, thank you @balchua, @fabrichter and @icanhazbroccoli
- Helm status reported in
microk8s status, thank you @greenyouse
- Set default namespace of
k8s.io, thank you @joestringer
- Better exception handling in the clustering agent, thank you @shashi278
- Fixes in cluster upgrades, courtesy of @strigona-worksight
microk8s inspectnow cleans priority and storage classes. Thank you @rbt
microk8s inspectwill detect missing cgroups v1 and suggest changes on Fedora 31. Thank you @soumplis
Microk8s 1.16 - 26 September 2019
- Clustering - MicroK8s nodes can be joined to create a multi-node cluster,
see these docs if you want to try it.
- New Cilium addon courtesy of @joestringer. Try it with
microk8s enable cilium.
- New Helm addon courtesy of @joestringer. Try it with
microk8s enable helm.
- RBAC rules for CoreDNS and storage add ons, courtesy of @wichert.
- Istio upgraded to v1.2.2 and now includes kiali.
- Knative upgraded to v0.9.0.
- Enabling of aggregation layer and fix on metrics server RBAC rules,
thank you @giner.
microk8s reset has now an option to free the disk space reserved by
storage volumes. Thank you @rzr.
- Ingress updated to v0.25.1, thank you @balchua.
- Improvements in the inspection script, thanks @giorgos-apo.
- Dashboard upgraded to 2.0.0 beta4.
Microk8s 1.15 - 21 June 2019
RBAC support via a simple
microk8s enable rbac, courtesy of @magne.
- Update of the Dashboard to 1.10.1 and fixes for RBAC. Thank you @balchua.
Knative addon, try it with
microk8s enable knative. Thank you @olatheander for your contribution.
- CoreDNS is now the default. Thanks @richardcase for driving this.
- Ingress updated to 0.24.1 by @JorritSalverda, thank you.
- Fix on socat failing on Fedora by @JimPatterson, thanks.
- Modifiable CSR server certificate, courtesy of @balchua.
- Use of iptables kubeproxy mode by default.
- User guide moved out of GitHub to microk8s.io .
- Instructions on how to run Cilium on MicroK8s by @joestringer.
MicroK8s 1.14 - 25 March 2019
Containerd replaced dockerd. Thanks to @waquidvp for keeping up
with the containerd and runc updates.
- The Ingress controller got updated to v0.22.0 (thanks to @khteh) and is now using:
- Istio addon now deploys Istio v1.0.5.
microk8s.resetnow deletes CRDs. Thank you @miguelgarcia.
- Improved security of exposed ports and services.
- Three new addons are available since the last release anouncement:
Jaeger, available with:
Fluentd, try it with:
Prometheus, enable it with:
- Jaeger, available with:
- Installation on Arch Linux now correctly detects the machine architecture.
- kubectl now uses a secure kubeconfig found in a configurable location.
MicroK8s 1.13 - 14 February 2019
- New website! Check it out at https://microk8s.io.
- ARM64 support!
microk8s.stopcommands allow you to easily enable and disable MicroK8s.
microk8s.statusgives you an overview of the current status.
- We now detect host IP changes. You can now use MicroK8s on your laptop without the need to restart it whenever you switch networks.
- MicroK8s is now a CNCF certified Kubernetes. Certification was for v1.12; v1.13 will follow shortly.
- Enable digitalSignature key usage for CA (thanks @lhotari).
- Pod eviction limit due to memory shortage decreased to 100MB.
MicroK8s 1.12 - 13 November 2018
- Stable releases of 1.10, 1.11, 1.12.
- Private registry addon (
GPU addon (
Istio v1.0.0 addon (
Metrics server (
- Inspect command for deployment troubleshooting (
- CNI updated to v0.7.1.
- Bug fix: Ship socat in the snap.
- Bug fix: Metrics for pods are now available in the grafana dashboard addon.
- Bug fix: ZFS utilities are now shipped with the snap.
- Bug fix: microk8s.reset will now remove all resources.
MicroK8s 1.11 - 10 July 2018
- New ingress controller addon -
microk8s.enable ingress- creates an ingress controller.
- New storage addon -
microk8s.enable storage- creates a default storage class using hostpath-provisioner and a directory on the host.
- New command:
microk8s.reset- stops all running pods, deployments, services, and daemons.
- New command:
microk8s.config- outputs the config used by
- Bug fix: Clean up snap removal.
- Bug fix: Add Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) support.