Re-visiting hibernate on Ubuntu

Hello , I’ve worked on enabling suspend-then-hibernate as a default on Ubuntu 20.04 :

• suspend-then-hibernate is the default on Windows & MacOS AFAIK and the best of both world. it will suspend for X hours and then hibernate , it works perfectly on all my laptops.

• Intel does not support “real suspend S3” on new Tigerlake laptops so suspend S0ix can drain your battery in a night

• I have made this small script that automates everything

But beware of the very last part , it symlink the suspend systemd service because the DE does not propose the suspend-then-hibernate option.

2 Likes

ok you well… That’s a common issue. You might have to reload keyboard and mouse ‘‘drivers’’’ so just google for that. It doesn’t happen often (by me just like 3 of 30)

I see there is an endless catch up in the Linux world to get either hibernate or deep sleep correctly working on different hardware.
My preference: give options to users to properly test it -hibneration, deep sleep- on there machines and to have it easily activated.
shouldn’t be too difficult ;-).

1 Like

This article just appeared in Linux Uprising. I’m going to give it a shot tonight and see what happens.
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2021/08/how-to-enable-hibernation-on-ubuntu.html

I finally had a chance to follow the directions in that article and HALLELUJAH it works!! I can’t believe nine years ago I switched from Windows to Ubuntu (Precise) and it took nine years to get my old laptop hibernation capability again! PLEASE make this default in upcoming builds!

3 Likes

Just put a Lubuntu 20.04 on my old HP G7000 Laptop. Had a Q4OS based on Debian 11.1 running on it before, hibernated without any problems. Did not like some other things, so I decided to get back to an Ubuntu flavor, but the installer did not put any swap file or partition on it (maybe it got confused by Q4OS’s swap partition). Could not work with 2GiB of RAM, and while pointing the system to the 4GiB swap partition (helpful article here), I enabled hibernation as well; works without problems!

@zaphood22 Glad hibernate works for you :slight_smile:

FYI: Lubuntu have documentation on swap

3 Likes

Thanks for the hibernate enabler script! Is it going to an official Xubuntu release some day?

2 Likes