Possible issue with Multipass, M1 Macbook Pro, and coming out of sleep/hibernation

I’m not sure if this is a multipass bug, but it appears to be related, so I’m asking here first, hopefully, someone can help me troubleshoot.

I’ve been doing a lot of Multipass related stuff on my M1 MacBook Pro lately. Every morning, when I open the laptop (meaning it comes out of sleep/hibernation from closing the lid the night before) locks up, and the laptop restarts.

What makes me think this is multipass related is the first line of the error report after it restarts.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe0016108dc0): busy timeout[0], (60s): 'IOUserEthernetController' 

As far as I know, the laptop doesn’t have an Ethernet Controller, which makes me think the IOUserEthernetController is the one that Multipass uses.

Is this something anyone else has seen?

I’m going to try and remember to shutdown my Multipass instances tonight to see if the problem happens again tomorrow.

I’m facing this situation as well, exactly the same problem. In my case it started to appear after I installed two softwares: multipass [1] and Parallel Desktop [2]

2 Likes

Just want to chime in.

Have had Multipass installed for months but installed Parallels last week and have started facing issues. Perhaps a conflict here.

And did uninstalling Parallels fix the issue?

I’ve since shelved multipass for the moment, busy working on a project using parallels at the moment.

Perhaps I’ll get back to it soon.

I removed Parallels and multipass now works fine.

1 Like