I don’t think these two statements work well together as of the state of the art. Looking for a Windows alternative, as a non-primarily software developer, you probably need Gimp, LibreOffice and stuff such like that. Now, look at the screens currently on sale for decent hardware: 1920x1080 or “retina” hidpi screens. LibreOffice shows fuzzy icons and other artifacts in hidpi. Gimp is still based on Gtk 2 so it will literally be a mess in hidpi until they end the migration to Gtk 3. These are just two examples; when you have a hidpi monitor installing a new app is truly a gamble; and it’s difficult to avoid that within the current hardware offer. Other thing I’m unable to do: have a dual monitor setting with different dpi screens. I’m at the office right now, I can see 70% developers (about 20 people) using Mac, everyone of them comfortably using dual screens without even knowing about dpi stuff; the other 30% alternate between very old hardware, new Thinkpads with absurdly small fonts, using just one external screen and keeping their laptops’ lids half closed or not using an external screen or, even worse, like me, having learnt a lot of nerdy stuff I actually don’t care about except for surviving in Linux desktop. It’s just sad. I don’t believe that any massive migration from Windows to Linux is about to happen; on the contrary, if Linux desktop is not stabilized and modernized I expect a net flow from Linux to Mac/Windows. Gnome/Wayland/Flatpak-Snap are IMHO going the right way. Anyway, for desktop the idea of staying in a functional completely static LTS for some years is not working these days. I came from Arch, I updated my system every day during many years, I was wanting to update my old hardware, move to the next Ubuntu LTS and leave rolling behind. Guess what: because of an “innocent” hardware update unstability, unpredictability and anxiety increased to the point I wanted to move to Mac (for the first time in 20 years of Linux usage). I’m now in Ubuntu but I do recognize that some orderly way of keeping up-to-date apps (and probably desktops) will be necessary in these transitional times. Snap and flatpak seem good solutions to me and they’re being quickly developed and improved.